Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Jul 2014, 01:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Gmat 550 Quant(47) Verbal(20)-->Disaster

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

Gmat 550 Quant(47) Verbal(20)-->Disaster [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2012, 06:08
Hi

I gave my Gmat today and scored a really disappointing score of 550(quant 47, verbal 20).Took me 3 hours to come back to normal. Well I don't know where to start my story. I prepared rigorously for 10 months. Last 4 months were fully dedicated to GMAT only. Im am working in an IT company. Although I managed to study for GMAT at work, i think all that has gone in drain. Took Sunday off from studies. Following are my Mock Score

GMAT prep 1 660 (quant 48, verbal 34)

I knew i need to improve my verbal. Dedicated myself to focus more on Verbal. Books used for study : OG 10,OG 12, Mahanttan SC, PowerScore CR Bible, Ron's Reading Comprehension Videos.

Did OG 12 Thrice. Kept a log of all my mistakes.Read every explanation carefully and cleared all my concept. Then i did OG10. Same strategy. Read every Explanation and made notes.

Mahanttan Mocks:

MGMAT 1 680 (10/29/2102) (quant 49, verbal 34)
MGAMT 2 670 (11/03/2012) (quant 49, verbal 33)
MGMAT 3 700 (11/04/2012) (quant 47, verbal 38)
MGMAT 4 700 (11/15/2012) (quant 47, verbal 38)

GMAT Prep 2: 730 ( quant 50, verbal 38) (11/23/2012)

Note: For All mocks I took AWA, IR and two 8 minutes break. Strictly like Real Exam

Ok Fast Forward Test day. Everything was under control. Essay was pretty easy. IR was too easy. Answered well within time.
Quant: I was getting medium difficulty questions. I still don't know why i scored 47 in quant. Well its still acceptable :|
Verbal: No idea WHY and WHAT went wrong. Kept my cool and answered each question carefully. I was under no mental pressure what so ever.Understood what the question was asking. SC was my strong point, well i guess i was wrong in that too. RC straightforward questions. CR inference ,Strengthen, Assumption,Bold Face Question.

Finally time to accept or reject score. I selected to accept the score and was Devastated to see my score Quant 47 Verbal 20. :oops:

Verbal 20?? I was taken aback. 130-150 point difference between actual GMAT and Mocks. I am in No way questioning Mocks, but verbal 20 is like unacceptable to me. Still confused WHY it happened.

SO Its a Sincere Request , please suggest me what to do now. My Aim was 730+. Although Im down ,but Im not Out. I have exhausted all my material. Cant study again from these books. Can i recover from this disaster? I need to give GMAT again before end January.

Experts Please Help :oops:
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 126

Kudos [?]: 570 [2] , given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Gmat 550 Quant(47) Verbal(20)-->Disaster [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2012, 10:07
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Really sorry for what has happened today.
All that I can suggest is to take a pure gap of around 1 week or so and during these days enjoy as much as you can. There are loads of movies in multiplexes, so spend on them. I know it is going to enjoy, but trust me you have to leave behind this score.
Once you get out of this shock, read the MGMAT SC again and note down all the "new things" that went unnoticed initially. For CR, same principle for PowerScore Bible but for RC, practice practice practice.
I am just a novice in this GMAT field, but I have huge faith in MGAMT and PowerScore.
Good luck for the next time.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 123 [2] , given: 79

Re: Gmat 550 Quant(47) Verbal(20)-->Disaster [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2012, 10:18
This post received
KUDOS
Sorry to hear the bad news, Navi88. It's never fun to receive such an unpleasant surprise on test day.

It looks like you've handled your preparations well for the most part, and I doubt that your MGMAT or GMATPrep scores are terribly inflated. The only thing that worries me a little bit is that OG 10 overlaps the GMATPrep somewhat, and if you've obsessively studied the OG 10 questions, you'll probably get a little boost in your GMATPrep score as a result. Even if you don't remember the questions consciously, you'll probably be able to save some time because you can read the "repeat" questions quickly... and you'll have more time for everything else.

Still, all of your MGMAT and GMATPrep scores fell within a similar range. So maybe that last 38 on the GMATPrep was on the high side, and maybe a 35 or even a 30 wouldn't have been unreasonable result on your actual test. But a 20? That's quite a jump.

I have two related theories, and they might both be wrong.

First: you probably made just enough careless errors early in the verbal section to keep your score painfully low. As you probably know after all of your hard work, your GMAT score depends primarily on the difficulty level of the questions you get right or wrong--not necessarily on how many questions you got right. If you make a couple of careless errors early in the test, you'll see more easy questions, and you'll have to go on a pretty hot streak to climb into more difficult questions. Once you've made some mistakes early in the test, your margin for error is substantially reduced, and even an occasional error (say, every four or five questions) can keep you pinned down to the easier questions. (And yes, I'm stealing from my response to another suffering test-taker on this forum: 540-no-idea-what-went-wrong-142892.html)

So you didn't necessarily have to miss very many questions to get that 20 on verbal. If you missed easy questions in bad spots, then it's not unreasonable to have this sort of score meltdown. It's not a comforting explanation, though.

Theory #2 is even uglier. You mentioned that you felt perfectly calm during the test, but sometimes test-takers internalize their stress. The sick, twisted thing about the GMAT (both quant and verbal) is that you only need to mis-read one key word on any given question, and you'll end up missing the entire question. It doesn't take much nervousness (or fatigue, for that matter) to cause you to make some errors that you don't normally make. And again, if those errors are badly placed, your score can suffer a huge dropoff... even if you don't make very many of those errors. Sometimes, the test magnifies your nervousness. It's not necessarily fair, but that's how the GMAT works sometimes.

I obviously don't know you well enough to even begin to guess how well these theories fit, but they probably explain at least some of the story... albeit in a completely unsatisfying way.

It's probably not reassuring when the test-day agony is still so fresh in your mind, but these sorts of things happen on the GMAT. You'll run across plenty of others on GMAT Club who have had similar experiences. Don't let one bad test get you down--obviously, you have the ability to score substantially higher!

As far as materials go, you might consider spending some quality time with retired LSAT tests for RC and CR practice. The language is incredibly difficult, and the LSAT tests your ability to read precisely, just as the GMAT does. You'll notice plenty of cosmetic differences in the questions between the two tests, but the LSAT will definitely improve your ability to read hard passages and focus on the nuances of those passages. Hopefully, the GMAT RC and CR will feel relatively easy after you've suffered through enough LSAT questions. :)

I didn't see any mention of the GMATPrep Question Pack (available through the GMATPrep software) or the GMAT Verbal supplement in your post, so you'll want to do some work in those if you haven't already. And OG 13 does have some new questions that weren't in OG 12, so it *might* be worth the price to go through those questions, too. (A full list of the new questions is available on the MGMAT site.) So don't worry, there are still plenty of resources out there.

Good luck with everything!

Helping students kick the GMAT in the nuts since 2002... www.gmatninja.com.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 123 [1] , given: 79

Re: Gmat 550 Quant(47) Verbal(20)-->Disaster [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2012, 10:21
This post received
KUDOS
One more thing: I totally agree with Marcab, too. Take a break! Relax and enjoy some movies, or some sports, or some partying if that's your thing. And yes, if there's anything from the books that has slipped out of your head, now's a good time to examine those. After your break, of course. :)

Helping students kick the GMAT in the nuts since 2002... www.gmatninja.com.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

Re: Gmat 550 Quant(47) Verbal(20)-->Disaster [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2012, 06:58
Marcab wrote:
All that I can suggest is to take a pure gap of around 1 week or so and during these days enjoy as much as you can. There are loads of movies in multiplexes, so spend on them. I know it is going to enjoy, but trust me you have to leave behind this score.
Once you get out of this shock, read the MGMAT SC again and note down all the "new things" that went unnoticed initially. For CR, same principle for PowerScore Bible but for RC, practice practice practice.
I am just a novice in this GMAT field, but I have huge faith in MGAMT and PowerScore.

Thanks a lot for your suggestions. I took a day off from work today. Well as i said before I am down but not Out. I'll surely need to change my tactics on how to handle Verbal. Thanx again :) . Also please can you suggest strategies for quant 51? Congrats for scoring Quant 51 in MGMAT.This time i would leave no stone unturned.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 126

Kudos [?]: 570 [1] , given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Gmat 550 Quant(47) Verbal(20)-->Disaster [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2012, 07:21
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
navi88 wrote:
Marcab wrote:

Thanks a lot for your suggestions. I took a day off from work today. Well as i said before I am down but not Out. I'll surely need to change my tactics on how to handle Verbal. Thanx again :) . Also please can you suggest strategies for quant 51? Congrats for scoring Quant 51 in MGMAT.This time i would leave no stone unturned.

Arey Navi that was just MGMAT 1...not real GMAT.
Btw did you watch any of the movies. There are many movies that can help you divert your attention with.
If you need any help, I will always be there for you. :wink:

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 75

Re: Gmat 550 Quant(47) Verbal(20)-->Disaster [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2012, 08:21
Hi Navi

For quant

the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441-40.html#p1145769

Please have a look on these thread as well (may be you can get some clues that why you scored low)

gmat-prep-analysis-tool-102803.html
un-scientific-analysis-of-gmatprep-64970.html

best of luck.

YOU CAN, IF YOU THINK YOU CAN

GMAT Pill Representative
Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48
Followers: 134

Kudos [?]: 167 [0], given: 4

Re: Gmat 550 Quant(47) Verbal(20)-->Disaster [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2012, 08:47
Hi Navi,

My advice - is to IGNORE Quant.

You'll see from my score (48, 48) 770, that you don't need a mega Q score to score well, but you do need a good V.

here is why http://www.gmatpill.com/the-gmat-pill-m ... -strategy/

Focus on that, and as long as you keep your Q the same (or maybe, just a little bump) and you'll do much better

Former GMAT Pill student, now on staff. Used GMATPILL OG 12 and nothing else: 770 (48,48) & 6.0

... and more

Re: Gmat 550 Quant(47) Verbal(20)-->Disaster   [#permalink] 29 Nov 2012, 08:47