Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 01:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT study plan

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
3 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.85
WE: Marketing (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [3] , given: 2

GMAT study plan [#permalink] New post 22 May 2012, 03:11
This post received
KUDOS
Hi all,
it is a brief update, mainly for those who don't do too well under pressure.

My books:
Verbal : Manhattan SC, something from OG, Powerscore CR Bible (awesome!!!!)
For Quant : Manhattan advanced Qaunt
and for both Gmat prep questions + Manhattan forum explanations for those.

Before practicing the Gmat prep base, I took my online tests: Gmatprep 1 - 760; Gmatprep 2 - 680; Gmatprep 1-2 and 2-2 something in the 7XX. 2 observations: 1) my quant was still stuck at 50, no matter how many mistakes I made. 2) My scores were greatly affected by the mood I was in taking them... I knew I needed to be calm and should not be mad at anybody

Took actual test: 700 (Q48, V38). Obviously, for some reason I do dramatically worse in quant at the real test. I went out of the room and could solve the questions I struggled with without any paper. At this point, I knew that no matter what - I still can apply to good B-schools, so I knew I won't be nervous if I decide to retake

TAKE 3:
I didn't really study more the past month. Solved everything from Manhattan Advanced math and refreshed some OG pieces.

Result - 760 (Q50; V44). I was not nervous, I knew I am not losing anything. Didn't make silly mistakes in Quant. Was not sure about verbal - I could see al the traps in the texts, SC and CR - they were not too straight forward, I would normally have 2 contenders... I knew I was doing well then I got boldface for #39

So the main conclusion - if you know you don't do too well under stress.. if you feel that you can do better - retake the test!!!! Just be sure to persuade yourself not to be nervous, because there is no risk involved.. and don't give up

Last edited by olgasu on 02 Apr 2013, 23:07, edited 2 times in total.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 109 [0], given: 46

Re: GMAT 580-700-760 - how not to be nervous [#permalink] New post 22 May 2012, 12:43
Awesome score olgasu!! and awesome debrief! I'm alos a victim of exam nervousness n anxiety. Messed up my last exam due to that. Hoping for better this time. Your write-up cheered me up! Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 11

Re: GMAT 580-700-760 - how not to be nervous [#permalink] New post 23 May 2012, 18:39
Congrats on the good score,

Could you share more on how to deal with nervousness and self-doubt, when you know you are better, that you have the skill but you just got that goose bump when coming in the test.
Current Student
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.85
WE: Marketing (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 2

Re: GMAT 580-700-760 - how not to be nervous [#permalink] New post 24 May 2012, 01:17
piyatiwari - good luck! you are your main enimy I guess ;)
gautrang wrote:
Congrats on the good score,

Could you share more on how to deal with nervousness and self-doubt, when you know you are better, that you have the skill but you just got that goose bump when coming in the test.

After my 1st failure - it was so bad that only time could make me think that is was an incident... :) and then goood preparation confirmed my thinking

mmm well, my general thinking was - if my Math goes well, my verbal will go well too, so I analysed - why did I make silly mistakes at the actual test? 1) I like elegant solutions to problems. So once I couldn't find one, I would start getting nervous, waste time, panic... and then still solve the problem, thus losing time. And I told myself - solve the problem no matter how, but just do it. 2) careless notes to save time. I taught myself to be careful and not to skip any steps. For example, Manhattan has a fine quide how to solve divisibility or sign problems using tables. I would normally not do this at home, but that had negative effects on the actual test.
did all that at my final attempt and it worked out pretty well. And once you know that your 1st part went as planned, you are fine with the second as well. Plus, it was easier to get from 700 to 760, when you know that your future doesn't really depend on the results of this test. And you can use your old score.. I suggest maybe going out a couple of days before the test- in order not to get overly nervous or overprepare.
And - most importantly - don't think about what happens when you press "report my score" button :)
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT 580-700-760 - how not to be nervous [#permalink] New post 24 May 2012, 09:21
thanks for sharing your experiences with us and i think this should really help out a first-timer like me who really want to give it my best shot once and for all.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Jones '15 (I)
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Re: GMAT 580-700-760 - how not to be nervous [#permalink] New post 24 May 2012, 09:30
Awesome post and congratulations on your amazin score.. That is a truly inspirational story and shows you can achieve anythin if you persevere and stick to your guns..

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Operations
GMAT 1: 580 Q48 V23
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GPA: 2.14
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Re: GMAT 580-700-760 - how not to be nervous [#permalink] New post 24 May 2012, 10:37
Thanks for sharing your GMAT story.

I too have scored 580 (Q 48, V23) in my first attempt 8 months ago. I am taking the test again in June and your post has boosted my confidence.

Thank You! :)

Regards,
Hina

Re: GMAT 580-700-760 - how not to be nervous   [#permalink] 24 May 2012, 10:37