Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Dec 2014, 03:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT 650 PHD ACCOUNTING?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT 650 PHD ACCOUNTING? [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2011, 05:29
I would like to apply to a respectable mid-tier university in the US, Canada, and UK... for a AACSB accredited Ph.d In accounting in 2.5 years from now. I am born and raised in Canada. I go to Dalhousie University.

Here is my profile:
Current Age 24
Bachelor Of Commerce Major in Accounting (AACSB accredited)
GPA: 2.92 (last year... 11 classes GPA 3.54... 1 C+)

Masters of Business Administration Concentration on Management Accounting(Part Time) (AACSB accredited)
GPA Expected 3.50 (based on first year)

GMAT 650

Work Experience:
Post Undergrad: Internal Auditing and Internal Controls, basic accounting (2 years) for a major Retail Company in Canada.
Before Undergrad: Help maintain over a million dollars worth of rental properties, cook in a kitchen for years, and was a delivery driver since I was 16 years old (family businesses)

Designations:
CMA (50 percent done)
CIA Professional experience meet (planning on taking the exam)

I enjoy presenting in classes, teaching others and I am also a toast masters member.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Re: GMAT 650 PHD ACCOUNTING? [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2011, 14:31
I'm concerned with both the graduate and undergraduate GPA more than the GMAT score. Assuming you're a recent graduate (based on your work experience), more weight will be placed on your undergraduate GPA and you will have a hard time finding an accredited doctoral program that will accept you with a 2.9 GPA. Unfortunately, mid-tier is not even an option. I'm not familiar with your graduate school, but many graduate programs are guilty of grade inflation, so a 3.5 GPA, while respectable at face value, won't be much in comparison to candidates applying with grad GPAs of 3.8 and above. While adcoms may be willing to overlook one weakness, it's hard to overlook a weak GPA AND a weak GMAT score. I also question your ability to get strong rec letters from academics due to your not so strong academic performance to date.

I'd never suggest that anyone gives up on their dream but to help make yours a reality, I suggest reaching out to your MBA professors and asking to assist them with their research. Quality research experience will often help set you apart from other applicants and provides a source for a strong letter of recommendation. Increase your GMAT score and if at all possible, complete a master's degree that will expose you to advanced math courses and get as close to a 4.0 as possible. Consider taking and passing the CPA (or Chartered Accountant) exam to strengthen your application. And good luck!
Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT 650 PHD ACCOUNTING? [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2011, 14:48
Thanks for the reply,

I can try to up my GMAT.

I really dont know what my final graudate GPA is.... I emailed University of Alberta and they said they will only look at my grad gpa... but i guess there is a difference between stating somthing and doing somthing.

As for academic recommendations. I think I can get some. Alot of professors like me. Not all of them. I have to admit in my first year of undergrad my gpa was really really low. 1 F, alot of C's... But after that I got alot of B+'s A-'s and 2 A's in my last 3 years. I just sucked so bad in my first year(with a few blunders across the 3 years) but over all alot of professors rember who i was.

I always partipated. In one class.. I had to do 5 pages.. i ended up doing 14 pages... cuz i enjoyed the project i ended up getting a A for the capstone course. I hope i can overcome my undergrad gpa. it really sucks. most are entry level courses(that i performed poorly in)... what do you think... if i redo them? waste of time?
Intern
Intern
Schools: UCLA, UCI, UCSD, USC
Followers: 1

Re: GMAT 650 PHD ACCOUNTING? [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2011, 21:49
i wouldn't concentrate my efforts on retaking classes from many years ago. You've got several areas to improve and that's the least important at this time in my opinion.

I'd follow busybee's advice except I wouldn't worry as much about the CPA. CPA is more for doing work than researching and teaching classes. I'd concentrate more on GPA for grad school and the GMAT score. You probably want to target at least 700 for the GMAT.

Also what math courses have you taken? If you haven't taken a lot of math, you want to take some of that right away.

Good luck!!

"You'd be out of your mind, like, uh, uh, you wouldn't be in your right mind."

Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT 650 PHD ACCOUNTING? [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2011, 03:18
busybee3 wrote:
I'm concerned with both the graduate and undergraduate GPA more than the GMAT score. Assuming you're a recent graduate (based on your work experience), more weight will be placed on your undergraduate GPA and you will have a hard time finding an accredited doctoral program that will accept you with a 2.9 GPA. Unfortunately, mid-tier is not even an option. I'm not familiar with your graduate school, but many graduate programs are guilty of grade inflation, so a 3.5 GPA, while respectable at face value, won't be much in comparison to candidates applying with grad GPAs of 3.8 and above. While adcoms may be willing to overlook one weakness, it's hard to overlook a weak GPA AND a weak GMAT score. I also question your ability to get strong rec letters from academics due to your not so strong academic performance to date.

I'd never suggest that anyone gives up on their dream but to help make yours a reality, I suggest reaching out to your MBA professors and asking to assist them with their research. Quality research experience will often help set you apart from other applicants and provides a source for a strong letter of recommendation. Increase your GMAT score and if at all possible, complete a master's degree that will expose you to advanced math courses and get as close to a 4.0 as possible. Consider taking and passing the CPA (or Chartered Accountant) exam to strengthen your application. And good luck!

There is like 3 research electives... i will probaly take them.
Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT 650 PHD ACCOUNTING? [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2011, 06:59
tom902 wrote:

There is like 3 research electives... i will probaly take them.

Great! And if one of those classes results in you getting published, even better :-D
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Accounting, Finance
GMAT Date: 09-10-2014
GPA: 3.98
WE: Accounting (Accounting)

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 32

Re: GMAT 650 PHD ACCOUNTING? [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2011, 17:13
On the top of what have been mentioned, you definitely need a good math background. Most programs require candidates to have at least clac 2, 3, linear algebra, differential equations, and stat courses.

If you learn to do things that you need to do - then someday - you can do things that you want to do.

Re: GMAT 650 PHD ACCOUNTING?   [#permalink] 24 Dec 2011, 17:13