Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 02:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT 650, Please suggest on shortlisting colleges

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

GMAT 650, Please suggest on shortlisting colleges [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2012, 02:05
Hello Friends,
I have been visiting this forum for some time now, although not actively participating. I am greatly indebted to all the members and organizers of this site.
I have given my GMAT for the second time recently and could score only a meagre 650.
I now need your valuable suggestions and inputs wrt shortlisting of colleges. I would like to apply for 2013-2014 batch. Request you to kindly check my profile below and advise me.

Personal:
Nationality: Indian

Study:
UnderGraduation: BE ECE from Osmania university
Others: Discontinued in last semester of MS in software systems from BITS-Pilani, owing to personal reasons.

Work:
Total experience: 8 yrs in software consultancy
International experience: 4.5 years (in Japan)
Current Role: Business development Manager/Onsite coordinator

GMAT:
I attempt: 640 (Q49, V29)
II attempt: 650 (Q49, V29)

Reason for MBA:
10yrs from now, I wish to see myself as a social enterpreneur.
I strongly believe an MBA would prepare me in all ways in realizing the above.

Planned Universities:
I prefer universities that offer a 1~1.5 yr program and located in Asia and Euro regions. So, thought of the below:
1. INSEAD
2. HKUST
3. IMD
4. Oxford
5. NUS
6. Cambridge

Thanks in advance.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 1

Re: GMAT 650, Please suggest on shortlisting colleges [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2012, 02:50
First of all 650 is not so bad but your score is very skewed. Secondly, you are in a highly represented group of IIM. Thirdly, your age is higher and you have to work hard to sell yourself to the school.

I had gone through similar situation and my approach was different. First, you need to identify what you truly want to achive from the programme. I am not asking for your essay to schools, but your true reason ... hope you understand what I mean.

Once you know why then you will be able to identify the right school for yourself. You are not a 4+ years WE guy who can try out few careers and hence can afford to blindly join ANY branded school. You need to be very selective about your school as your stake is much higher.

A very simple fact that many failed to understand is NOT ALL SCHOOLS ARE FOR EVERYONE. So don't ever blindly follow the rankings!! Choose your school rationally.

IMD is one of the best school but average age is 29 and they are very specific about their average age and quite reluctant to consider over age students.

Cambridge is very selective and you have nothing extraordinary to showcase.

INSEAD, Oxford, although not impossible but will be tough with a 650, specially for IIM without any truly exceptional achievements.

HK and NUS has fair chance but you need to understand their strength and weaknesses and need to findout how closely they fit into your personal objective.

Finally, you are a bit late for 2013 intake as most of the schools finished their first round and second round also started for many school.

Best of luck
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 01-20-2005
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT 650, Please suggest on shortlisting colleges [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2013, 01:55
Hi,

An avg. GMAT can surely be made up by writing strong application essays and demonstrating leadership skills during final interviews. You can try your chances in b-schools by clicking http://www.general-ed.com/chances-of-bschool . I believe the schools you’ve shortlisted should be within your reach for 2013 intake.

Also, know more about interview preparations and tips by visiting http://bit.ly/XQVp4s . You can also PM your number to discuss on selection of b-schools.

Best,
AK

gmtshabs wrote:
Hello Friends,
I have been visiting this forum for some time now, although not actively participating. I am greatly indebted to all the members and organizers of this site.
I have given my GMAT for the second time recently and could score only a meagre 650.
I now need your valuable suggestions and inputs wrt shortlisting of colleges. I would like to apply for 2013-2014 batch. Request you to kindly check my profile below and advise me.

Personal:
Nationality: Indian

Study:
UnderGraduation: BE ECE from Osmania university
Others: Discontinued in last semester of MS in software systems from BITS-Pilani, owing to personal reasons.

Work:
Total experience: 8 yrs in software consultancy
International experience: 4.5 years (in Japan)
Current Role: Business development Manager/Onsite coordinator

GMAT:
I attempt: 640 (Q49, V29)
II attempt: 650 (Q49, V29)

Reason for MBA:
10yrs from now, I wish to see myself as a social enterpreneur.
I strongly believe an MBA would prepare me in all ways in realizing the above.

Planned Universities:
I prefer universities that offer a 1~1.5 yr program and located in Asia and Euro regions. So, thought of the below:
1. INSEAD
2. HKUST
3. IMD
4. Oxford
5. NUS
6. Cambridge

Thanks in advance.

GMAT-750 Work Exp-10 yrs. MBA-Top 10 FT Ranking B-School
Under Grad- Top 30 College in Asia

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: GMAT 650, Please suggest on shortlisting colleges [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2013, 13:56
@wouldbecrazy: Thnx a lot for your practical reply.
@askshekhar: Thnx a ton for your reply & links

I have tweaked my college list and going ahead.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 4
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 111 [0], given: 215

Re: GMAT 650, Please suggest on shortlisting colleges [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2013, 18:34
To be brutally honest, I second @wouldbecrazy: you should focus on NUS and HKUST. By all means, apply to the rest, but you will be competing with plenty of people with profiles similar to yours.

Is there any chance you could retake the GMAT? For Indian/males/IT, a very minimum of 700 would be needed for most schools I am afraid.

Also, it is waaaaaay too late to apply for a 2013 entry. Wait for a year mate.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 4

Re: GMAT 650, Please suggest on shortlisting colleges [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2013, 02:04
Ducksworth wrote:
To be brutally honest, I second @wouldbecrazy: you should focus on NUS and HKUST. By all means, apply to the rest, but you will be competing with plenty of people with profiles similar to yours.

Is there any chance you could retake the GMAT? For Indian/males/IT, a very minimum of 700 would be needed for most schools I am afraid.

Also, it is waaaaaay too late to apply for a 2013 entry. Wait for a year mate.

Why is it too late to apply for 2013 entry? There are still admission windows open, correct?!
Re: GMAT 650, Please suggest on shortlisting colleges   [#permalink] 23 Jan 2013, 02:04