Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 09:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT 650 - Thinking about options

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT 650 - Thinking about options [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2007, 12:13
Alright, after 3 months of stressing over this exam, I don't think I can bring myself to take it again. I think perhaps I am just not a great test taker.

I made my decision to go to bschool in late August, so I scheduled my 1st exam on 9/30. I did alright in all of the practice exams from both Manhattan GMAT and GMATPrep - all 650-700. Then the actual day I totally froze during the math section and ended up with a 600. I then gave myself another 8 weeks and started to take more exams for practice. I started to see improvements in my answers and scores (700+ on all practices). The day of the test I did one last exam and scored 760 (my official exam was at 5 PM). On the actual test, the quant problems were extremely difficult and many were problems I've never seen before so I didn't even know how to approach them! So anyway, I did poorly again and this time my score was 650 (42 quant, 38 verbal). Round 2 deadlines are coming up and I wonder if I should retake it again or just apply with this score. I feel that I have excellent work experience, unique background and story, great essay writing skills, etc., so perhaps I can compensate the lower score. However, my choices of schools are also the toughest (HBS, Stanford, Wharton, Kellogg) so I'm at a very tough spot. Any recommendations?

BTW: I just turned 26, female, asian, working in senior management at a top CPG company
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2007, 15:55
650 is not a bad score actually, i am sure not many of female students score that much. considering your experience as you said, you can be a hot spot for the schools u mentioned as they want more women involvement in management.

goodl luck
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2007, 16:16
I would apply with what you have now and go through the process of interviewing and writing essays. If you get dinged then you have the whole next year to re-take if necessary and work on your essays. The worst that can happen is you get rejected, learn from it, and come back even stronger next year

I have also taken the test and gotten a 650, will be taking it again this winter / spring (and applying in fall)
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 422 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2007, 18:50
That score is non-competitive at those schools unless you have some very unique and valuable experience. Being female is a plus, but it's not nearly to the degree of being an underrepresented minority - the classification of "Asian" would be a huge factor.

Keep in mind that most of these schools are not re-applicant friendly. If you put forth less than your best the first time around, it will be harder next year. You can try asking in the "accepted.com" forum below for more advice.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 692 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2007, 08:04
650 even for a female is on the low side for those schools, especially if you are from one of the more competitive asian demographics. It is doable at a few of them if you have a very strong profile other than the GMAT but its late in the game to start applications this year anyways. At 26 you are at or below the averages for the schools so another holding off another year wouldn't hurt your chances.
Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 126 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2007, 14:29
Take another few months to intensively prepare for retake #3 and aim for a 680~720. Use the additional time after the exam to work with a admissions consultant to craft a solid application for those schools. You are only 26, so don't cut yourself short.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2007, 19:13
Thanks everyone for your advice. I've given it a lot of thought and I think I'm going to go for it! I'm come so far and it would be shame to wait another year. So I've started my essays and will try a crack at the GMAT again on 12/27! Busy December for me!
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 45 [2] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2007, 21:41
This post received
KUDOS
Witchiegrlie wrote:
Thanks everyone for your advice. I've given it a lot of thought and I think I'm going to go for it! I'm come so far and it would be shame to wait another year. So I've started my essays and will try a crack at the GMAT again on 12/27! Busy December for me!

that's good to hear! depending on the programs you are planning to apply to i wouldn't be too hung up on a 650.. that's great that you have the motivation but don't forget to take care of yourself and take some time to enjoy the upcoming holidays! :)
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: Q V

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: GMAT 650 - Thinking about options [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2013, 13:29
How did this turn out for you? Just happened to me :(
Re: GMAT 650 - Thinking about options   [#permalink] 15 Aug 2013, 13:29