Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 07:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT 670 is enough to apply for Columbia or Cornell?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT Date: 02-28-2014
GPA: 2.7
WE: Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 12

GMAT 670 is enough to apply for Columbia or Cornell? [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2014, 10:06
Hello everyone!
I just took the GMAT and scored a 670. Do you guys think it is enough for schools such as Columbia and Cornell?
I'm a candidate from Brazil and have a poor GPA of 2.7, which I think is not comparable with american gpa's since almost nobody in my school graduated with gpa's of 3.5 or higher.
Does the ADCOM compares GPA's from different countries?
Work experience:
I have 4 years of work experience, the last 3 of them working for one of the biggest banks in Latin America (Itau).
Currently I'm working on budget forecast and financial analysis, reporting directly to the CFO.
I got promoted 2 times and I'm considered a good potencial for the bank in the future. If I got admited the bank will sponsor my tuition and living costs.
Do you guys think sponsored students have higher chances of getting admited? just wondering...
I'm also a former basketball player in Brazil and currently run half marathons. I speak Portuguese (native), English and Spanish.
I also did volunteer activities, helped people starting their carrier in finance teaching them the basics of finance and so on...
Do I have a chance or I should retake the GMAT?
thanks! :D
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 894

Kudos [?]: 3787 [1] , given: 148

Re: GMAT 670 is enough to apply for Columbia or Cornell? [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2014, 21:08
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
tiagofsa10 wrote:
Hello everyone!
I just took the GMAT and scored a 670. Do you guys think it is enough for schools such as Columbia and Cornell?
I'm a candidate from Brazil and have a poor GPA of 2.7, which I think is not comparable with american gpa's since almost nobody in my school graduated with gpa's of 3.5 or higher.
Does the ADCOM compares GPA's from different countries?
Work experience:
I have 4 years of work experience, the last 3 of them working for one of the biggest banks in Latin America (Itau).
Currently I'm working on budget forecast and financial analysis, reporting directly to the CFO.
I got promoted 2 times and I'm considered a good potencial for the bank in the future. If I got admited the bank will sponsor my tuition and living costs.
Do you guys think sponsored students have higher chances of getting admited? just wondering...
I'm also a former basketball player in Brazil and currently run half marathons. I speak Portuguese (native), English and Spanish.
I also did volunteer activities, helped people starting their carrier in finance teaching them the basics of finance and so on...
Do I have a chance or I should retake the GMAT?
thanks! :D

A score of 670 is lower than the average scores for these schools especially for Columbia. A 700+ is much more acceptable. Since your GPA is a little low too, you might want to bring your GMAT score up considerably to cover up.
Though the rest of your application seems strong. You could get into these schools if you put up a compelling case for yourself. The schools like to maintain or improve the average GMAT scores of their incoming classes. Since many people scoring above the desired average also apply, the adcom is willing to take people scoring below average but they are quite picky. They look for unique skills that add value and diversity to the class. If you are able to bring that out in your application, you will improve your chances.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 1

Re: GMAT 670 is enough to apply for Columbia or Cornell? [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2014, 21:57
With your GMAT score and GPA you might have a rough chance at Cornell but surely not at Columbia. Your work experience and extra curriculars are decent. But not impressive enough to get you a seat. And sponsorship doesn’t favor any preference over others. At this point, the single best thing you could do is to take another year and get some targeted GMAT tutoring. By bumping your score by few points and having an additional year of work experience under your belt, you'd be competitive at some ranked schools.
Good Luck! :)
Optimus Prep Instructor
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT 670 is enough to apply for Columbia or Cornell? [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2014, 02:40
Expert's post
We would also recommend to retake the GMAT. Once you have a better score you must also prepare a great application in which you explain WHY your GPA is not so good.

In case you need assistance we would love to help you. Our GMAT courses come with a score improvement guarantee and is about 50% cheaper than similar offers from competitors. If you also take admissions consulting we can offer a further discount!

OPTIMUS PREP

Best regards,

Artem Morgunov I Founder of Optimus Prep I morgunov@optimus-prep.com

Re: GMAT 670 is enough to apply for Columbia or Cornell?   [#permalink] 02 Mar 2014, 02:40