Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 11:39 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 11:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 839 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Anupag,

I've noticed in a number of your posts that you make a distinction in terms of acceptable GMAT scores for international vs. domestic students. Would you mind clarifying why there is a difference in requisite scores for both groups? Also, if you were to segment the pool of applicants into those two groups, what would be an acceptable range of scores for a domestic vs. international student?

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 839 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi Soulutions

Yes, I make that distinction. And it probably is ok going by the Data that I have of international applicants to US schools and European schools (Insead and LBS only). This is only my perception and small sample data, please do not take it as gospel truth. Maybe my bias, since I am an international applicant.

The reasons why a higher GMAT is often a plus for an international applicant are two :
A) Almost all other information is slightly ambiguous for most of the faculty members. If 10 people say they are a 3.7 GPA from XYZ University in China, what does it mean ? And what if you are a 3.7 from Princeton? It obviously depends on whether XYZ has a good record/prestige etc. But given a choice, a PhD program committee (say of a US School) will have an easier time deciding whether that Princeton graduate is PhD material than that applicant from China. And therefore these faculty members (maybe subconsciously) favour using GMAT as a critical differentiator.
B) The international applicant pool is large. And competitive. A higher GMAT signals a better preparation for the program

Net, for shortlisting within an international pool, GMAT is a quick, reliable shortcut. For shortlisting within an American pool, you are not so sure of GMAT as a differentiator. Beyond the shortlisting, other things matter.

Is this true ? MAYBE.

Can you take a chance? Maybe at 720. Maybe not at 680.

IS GMAT CRITICAL THEN ? NO - GMAT, SOP, GPA, EXPERIENCE, INTEREST, EVERYTHING matters. The application package is a whole. But you can improve on GMAT and SOP, not your GPA and experience (at least not in the last two months of application :lol: .) So, there - Good SOP and Good GMAT => Increased admit chance for internationals!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks, Anupag!

You make an excellent point. It stands to reason that at this point the only factors you can control are those factors you can control: gmat & sop. If a person is considering moving on to graduate work, it is probably a little late to significantly alter thier GPA or prestige of undergraduate institution. As such, it is critical that those elements be as impressive as possible.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator:
Board of Directors
4380 posts