Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 14:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT 680...considering retake

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 9

CAT Tests
GMAT 680...considering retake [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2014, 18:08
Took the GMAT on April 24th. ( 680- Q43 and V 40). I have been a non active but ardent user of the GMAT Club artifacts in the last couple of weeks of my prep.

I know its not a great score but just wanted to share that I found the following very very useful. I was very bad in verbal always ranging in V31-32 but managed a 40 only by practicing the below.

SC: MGMAT SC and e-GMAT SC documents. The last week for practice I simply kept doing the GMAT PREP Comprehensive SC and Brutal SCs googling explanation on GC Club and MGMAT Forums
RC: MGMAT RC strategy
CR: powerscore. The last week I simply again spent on the CR 700 to 800 club solutions and GMATPREP CR.

Sadly I got beat on the quant aspect. Feel too shameful to admit that am a Engineering passout and claimed math to be one of my fav subjects. But I was so bad at verbal at one time that I devoted most of my prep time to that. And I was scoring between 46-49 on my GMATPREP CATS for quant albeit only 43-44 in MGMAT Quant.
I am prone to silly mistakes and I didnt feel during the GMAT that the Quant or IR was going bad!

The worst part is I have ONLY scored a 2 in IR.

I was/am targeting some of the top colleges in Canada. So although my GMAT score may be in range but I am afraid the IR is going to kill me.

I am considering a retake, but am very afraid that I will loose my standing in verbal. Any suggestions and advise?

Profile wise, Good acads, BE (hons), rank holder. 11 years work ex predominantly in IT some as Project manager and some in Consulting. Not too much extra currics.

Thanks for reading all of that,
Meera
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 4 yr IT
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 26

Re: GMAT 680...considering retake [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2014, 02:32
wow meera, first congratulations on your GREAT score.
680 means , with a little effort,you can break the 700 barrier.
scoring less on the verbal is a very remote chance in my opinion. especially since you have proved on the real test that you are V 40 material. so unless you forget what you learnt and didn't bother to revise you can't go lower.
on the other side, you can concentrate more on quants now that u have nailed the verbal part.
i was in the same situation last year with a 670. but now i have gotten into mcgill with a significant scholarship.
thanks in large part to my 720(q47 , V42) GMAT.
so take a break and start preparing again. you have come this far , a little further can't be that difficult.

this time, we play for keeps

BSchool Forum Moderator
GMAT 1: 740 Q52 V38
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 213 [0], given: 129

Premium Member
Re: GMAT 680...considering retake [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2014, 03:53
How have you been scoring on your practice exams? I would say to re-take the exam if you have been scoring better on your practice exams, and to stick with what you have if you've been scoring around 680.

MGMAT's quant is known to be harder than the quant on the actual GMAT, so I feel if you were to retake the GMAT you would get Q46-49.

My review of some of the CAT practice exams
You can usually find me on gmatclub's chat.

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 9

CAT Tests
Re: GMAT 680...considering retake [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2014, 06:39
Thanks for the reply guys.

Below are my scores. The last two MGMAT scores, I feel I was extremely saturated and made some horrendous silly mistakes. And I ran too much out of time.

1 GMAT PREP1 - 680 Q49 V33
2 MGMAT 1 - 640 Q43 V35
3 GMATPREP2- 650 Q46 V34
4 MGMAT2 -690 Q45 V39
5 GMATPREP3-730 Q50 V39
6 MGMAT3- 640 Q42 V35
7 MGMAT4- 650 Q41 V38

vinzycoolfire: Did you apply to predominantly Canadian schools? How much do you think the IR scores mattered? I have sent you a PM, if you don't mind please respond.

With the above scores, how realistic is it for me to break the 700 barrier with a month's time of prep? I can afford 3-4 hours a day.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Economist GMAT Tutor Representative
Affiliations: Economist GMAT Tutor
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 53 [1] , given: 3

Premium Member
Re: GMAT 680...considering retake [#permalink] New post 01 May 2014, 13:42
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
With a month's practice, I think that a 20 point increase is very reasonable. You already know what your problem areas are, so you don't need to waste time learning what you already know. My advice is to spend your month honing in on your problem areas. Be sure not to review the topics in which you are already an expert for too long!

Regards,

Elizabeth

http://econgm.at/GCfreetrial
For free GMAT practice questions, follow us @econgmat_qs
Economist GMAT Tutor
(866) 292-0660

Re: GMAT 680...considering retake   [#permalink] 01 May 2014, 13:42