Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 22:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT 680: retake? Target: 1-year MBA

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT 680: retake? Target: 1-year MBA [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2012, 11:03
Hi,
I would be grateful if you could advise me whether it is worth for me to retake GMAT, I feel that I could push my score to 700-720. My job is pretty time-consuming, thus I would like to avoid retaking GMAT.

Short summary of my profile:
Male from Eastern Europe, 24 yrs.
1st GMAT attempt: Total - 600 (62%), Quant - 47 (73%), Verbal - 27 (43%), AWA - 4.5 (39%), IR - 8 (92%).
2nd GMAT attempt: Total - 680 (85%), Quant - 44 (63%), Verbal - 38 (84%), AWA - waiting for official score report, IR - waiting for official score report. Yep, I bombed Quant part, this is the lowest grade I got for Quant, during my preparation I was always getting >47.
Undergraduate education: BSc in Economics (major in finance) at Top15-20 business school according to Financial Times European Business School Rankings 2011 - international study experience.
Target 1-year MBA programs (by the way, I plan to apply after ~3 years and I plan to stay at the same company for the next ~3 years): Insead, IMD, Kellogg, Cornell, Emory, USC. The schools are listed in order of decreasing preference, that is, Insead is my choice No. 1.

Last edited by NON on 02 Dec 2012, 08:07, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT 680: retake? Target: 1-year MBA [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2012, 11:27
Keep in mind that you might be too young for IMD where the average age is 31. If you think you could raise the score, then you should retake if schools like INSEAD and Kellogg are your top choices. It's possible that your differentiators -- Eastern Europe, strong leadership profiles etc. -- could put your over the top at your top choices with your current score. You could point out to them that your high Q and V scores from each test combined with your quant education and career show you can handle their programs. Given your age, the worst-case scenario is that you would get dinged at your top choices but could just reapply when you have four years of experience (you would still be only 26). However, the safer, more prudent course is to raise your GMAT now to eliminate this question mark in your profile. Feel free to send me your resume/CV for a closer look.

--Paul Bodine, Great Applications for Business School, http://www.paulsbodine.com

NON wrote:
Hi,
I would be grateful if you could advise me whether it is worth for me to retake GMAT, I feel that I could push my score to 700-720. My job is pretty time-consuming, thus I would like to avoid retaking GMAT.

Short summary of my profile:
Male from Eastern Europe, 24 yrs.
1st GMAT attempt: Total - 600 (62%), Quant - 47 (73%), Verbal - 27 (43%), AWA - 4.5 (39%), IR - 8 (92%).
2nd GMAT attempt: Total - 680 (85%), Quant - 44 (63%), Verbal - 38 (84%), AWA - waiting for official score report, IR - waiting for official score report. Yep, I bombed Quant part, this is the lowest grade I got for Quant, during my preparation I was always getting >47.
Undergraduate education: BSc in Economics (major in finance) at Top15-20 business school according to Financial Times European Business School Rankings 2011 - international study experience.
Undergraduate grades' percentile: ~60%
Work experience: 1 year as an analyst in energy industry, currently - 1 year experience as a head of commodity trading division in one relatively small company (annual revenues <50 million EUR), there are several people under my direct supervision. De facto, I am a deputy CEO in this company.
Extracurricular activities: could present a decent case with them - leadership and etc.
Target 1-year MBA programs (by the way, I plan to apply after ~3 years and I plan to stay at the same company for the next ~3 years): Insead, IMD, Kellogg, Cornell, Emory, USC. The schools are listed in order of decreasing preference, that is, Insead is my choice No. 1.

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 561 [0], given: 30

Re: GMAT 680: retake? Target: 1-year MBA [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2012, 01:49
Expert's post
Since you have time until you apply, i would say just bite the bullet dude. You HAVE to retake the GMAT. Ultimately you can apply and get in with a 680. But you also have tons of time (even if your work is super time consuming and you want to have a life on the side!!!) But just retake the GMAT. It makes a HUGE difference.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Re: GMAT 680: retake? Target: 1-year MBA   [#permalink] 19 Nov 2012, 01:49