Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 18:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT 690 Quant (77%) Verbal (89%)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT 690 Quant (77%) Verbal (89%) [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2005, 10:48
Hi Folks just looking for some advice. I just took the GMAT scored a 690 77% Math and 89% verbal. Was very disappointed as I was scoring between 690(first practice) and 740(2 days before the test) on the practice Couple of questions:

1) Do I need to retake the GMAT? I have heard schools look for at least 80th percentile in Math.
2) Do I have a competitive profile [b]for Fall 2007[/b] for HBS/Wharton/Kellogg?

A bit about me:

- Indian Male residing in the U.S.
- Age 27 (will remain 27 when I apply for fall 2007)
- Completed high school in India
- Undergrad Top 10 Computer science school GPA 3.1 (Texas)
- Working as a Strategist (Six Sigma Black Belt) at a Top Financial firm on Wall street, in the operation's department (3 years 4 by the I apply)
- 1 of 2 out of 2000 people selected for the Leadership Development Program at my firm, also the youngest
-Worked as a merchant marine after high school to pay for college and support family (2 years).
- Was able to enhance my leadership skills in the navy, faced a pirate attack in Singapore
- Climbing mount Everest's Highest base camp this summer
- Sit on the board of directors of a non-profit organization (orphanage in India)
- Successfully developed a business model (based on girl scout cookies) to generate funds for the organization
-Poor under grad GPA was due to the fact that I had to fund myself 100% and support my parents and brother who was in college. could not afford text books all the time.

Your candid advice is much appreciated.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 48

[#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2005, 12:13
Expert's post
Yes, I definitely think you have a competitive profile. Your work experience sounds very solid, and your hobbies and activities outside of work will set you apart.

Your GPA isn't too much of a weakness in my mind. The things that you have done since then will matter much more. I know you're disappointed about your GMAT score, but I honestly don't think that you need to take it again. You're easily within range of each school's average. Don't fall for the stories that they have cutoffs at certain percentiles.

I'll put it this way: If you don't get in (and I think you have a goodchance of getting in), it WON'T be because of your GMAT score.

If you really want to take it again (since you have time), I would recommend doing something different between now and when you take it (like take a class, buy a couple of new books, etc). Don't just take it again hoping to get a boost of 20 or 30 points based on luck, because you could just as easily get a score that's 20 or 30 points lower, and then you'll be sorry that you took it again.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Last edited by quixx23 on 30 Dec 2005, 14:23, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager

Thanks Scott [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2005, 14:43
Scott,
Many thanks for replying. Believe me it makes me feel a lot better. I honestly believe that my GMAT level is around 720 and not more.

For some reason I had heard that that average at HBS/Wharton/Kellog was 710 GMAT, so was a little surprised when you said I was well above the average.

Is the 710 average published on websites based on just the middle 80%?

I think I will go with your suggestion and focus on my essays and buildingmy resume further. Besides I had A's and B's in math at college so that should make up for it.

Since most schools like HBS are unforgiving of re-applicants I know that I have only one relistic shot at them, which is why I was debating whether to re-take the test. Hopefully I can convince them with my essays.

P.S.: Just ordered your book. I am going to need it over the next few months.
Manager
Manager

Follow Up question for Scott or Omari [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2005, 15:17
Scott,
Just as a follow up question,
1) How relevant is the GMAT when it comes to Internships at management consulting firms. I know they look at GMAT scores but then again some schools (HBS) have approved grade disclosure.
2) How much will it affect my chances of getting a scholarship?
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 48

[#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2005, 14:28
Expert's post
Just to clarify, I didn't mean that your GMAT score is higher than average. What I meant when I said "You're easily within range of each school's average," was that your score is very close to the average score of 700 or 710 at those schoolls. Trust me when I tell you that no school will ding you for a 690. Remember that if the average is 710, then half of the school's admits got below a 710! That average that they post on their web sites is a straight average.

Re: your questions on internships and sholarships... Banks and consultng firms do tend to ask for your GMAT score, but a 690 IS A GOOD SCORE! Re: scholarships, it shouldn't matter. For that kind of thing, they're much more interested in your leadership experiences, community involvement, what else makes you interesting as a person, etc.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2006, 05:13
Thanks for your feedback Scott. Wish you all a very Happy new year.