Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 05:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT 700 (Q50 V34) Finally ... 760(Q50 V42 IR8)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
14 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 110

Kudos [?]: 487 [14] , given: 384

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
GMAT 700 (Q50 V34) Finally ... 760(Q50 V42 IR8) [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2013, 02:56
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Background
IT GEM
The common most profile any one can find in India
General Indian Male, working in IT sector.

After a fair number of attempts in CAT (read 4) getting percentiles in the range of 98 - 99 and getting some decent calls(XL, FMS, IIMs), converting some good colleges(NMIMS, XIM, IMT), deciding against attending some interviews (IIM R, R, T, U) but then deciding not to join them for something bigger, I decided to give GMAT and make ISB my resting ground, a place where my soul will finally take a light breath.

So I started my preparation for GMAT.

Having given CAT so many times, i had some idea about the Quants portion, but the verbal part was a total bouncer.
Gave the first GMAT Prep test and scored a 680. To some extent, i was satisfied with my self that i can take the score further ahead. So i wen ahead with the preparation

The preparation (Mid July'12 to Oct'12)

Below is the list of material which i used for the preparation:

Quants:
1. Official Guide 13
2. CAT material (Creer Launcher)
3. GMAT Club Tests

Verbal:
1. Manhattan Sentence Correction Guide 5th edition
2. Official Guide 13
3. Pagalguy Forum for SC. http://www.pagalguy.com/forums/gmat-and-gre-prep/gmat-sentence-correction-discussions-t-20698/p-667828
GMAT Club collection of SC Questions
4. Pagalguy forum for CR. http://www.pagalguy.com/forums/gmat-and-gre-prep/gmat-critical-reasoning-dis-t-20700/p-667838/r-4838310?page=279
GMAT Club collection of Cr questions
5. OG Verbal Review

Test Resources:
1. GMAT prep (latest version)
2. GMAT prep (older version)
3. Manhattan GMAT tests (MGMATs)
4. GMAT Club tests
5. All the free tests - Knewton, Veritas, GMAT Club free tests and any where i got my hands on

Sentence Correction

In my first GMAT prep, the section which troubled me the most was SC, because i had done ample preparation for CR and RC while preparing for CAT, but none for SC, so it was by far my weakest section.

I tried to tackle it in a very systematic way. I started reading the MGMAT SC guide,which i can say is the best book for SC. Some how i got hold of a sheet of paper which bifurcated the OG questions under different headings such as Tenses, modifiers, verbs etc.

So i used to finish the chapter and then solve the respective question from OG for that chapter. This built a strong foundation for SC
The sheet of questions was of OG12 so that i solved with MGMAT SC and OG 13 i solved after wards. I made sure that I go through each and every answer in OG irrespective of if i have got the question right or wrong. That helped a lot as i was able to think on the lines of GMAT! which is most important to crack it.
Along with OG 13, i also solved the OG Verbal review, which again is a book by GMAC and hence should be solved thoroughly by everyone who wants to crack GMAT

I also followed the Pagalguy SC thread and it helped me a lot as i was able to solve questions and learn various approaches from other helpful puys.

I would recommend people who are starting their preparations to stay away from unauthorized sources, as they might shake up all your fundamentals :)

In the starting of your preparation, you might get more than 50% of your answers wrong (was the case with me) but don't let it bother you.
treat it just like maths, if you know how to add, you know what is 2+2.
Similarly if you know the rule, you know the answer.

The 3 2 split approach helps a lot ans we find this split in every other question.

In the end Practice is the only way to improve your accuracy in SC, the more you practice, the more concepts you learn and the lesser your chances of getting a SC question wrong.

Critical Reasoning

This was always one of my favorite sections as i used to love the CR questions during my CAT preparations also.
The OG and the verbal review are the best source to solve questions. You need to put a great amount of practice so that you are able to recognize the pattern in the questions. Unlike SC, there are no rules in Cr, so practice is the only key here.

A finding which i made was "a quantitative answer is always better that a spiritual answer"
In decision making always go for the most ethical option.
A very extreme option can be neglected easily 4 out of 5 times.

P.S. These are no rules, but my observations while solving the questions.

Pagalguy thread can be of help in this section although believe that the number of question sin OG, verbal review and the mock CATs are more than enough.

Reading Comprehension

The main idea should be to understand the passage and not start rummaging around for the answers straight away.
Always try to read the passage first, understand it and then look at the questions.

I believe with ample amount of reading and practice, we can get hold of RC.
Again reiterating, understanding the passage is of utmost importance, even if it means that you need to read the passage twice. Once you understand the passage, you can compensate for the time in the subsequent questions linked with the passage.

A great amount of reading of newspapers, editorials will help a lot with RC

Quants

I relied heavily on the books for CAT preparation for Quants. I never faced any difficulty as such in this section due to my intensive preparation for indian entrance examinations.
But having said that, we should never take Quants lightly and think that it can be done in a short span of time. I would not say i did not devote my time to Quants, but ya i will accept that a bit more practice would have helped me achieve the perfect 51 score and would have helped me to boost my score by 10 or 20 points may be ... (But then i might have settled for 720 and would not have aimed for 760 .... so whatever happens happens for good. Lets see if i will be able to achieve my target score this time around)

For practice i would suggest not to waste time on the starting questions of OG as they are too basic and will not test you thoroughly. Last few questions in problem Solving and DS are of good level and should be done properly.

For additional practice you can solve the GMAT club practice tests and quiz if you need. Else questions from the mock CATs (MGMAT and GMAT Prep)should be sufficient is analysed thoroughly.

In DS, you are never expected to solve a question and find out the answer, you just need to tell whether the answer can be found out or not. Some times, we go with the flow and try to solve the problem, which results in a wastage of precious time on the actual GMAT.
DS should not be feared, because the concepts are covered when you prepare fr Problem Solving, just apply the concepts, and deduce whether the answer can be found out or not.

Now comes the most important part of preparation acoording to me

THE MOCK TESTS

By far the most important factor in your final score. Every test you take, enables you for D Day. By adjusting your time, stamina, fatigue, strategy during the mock tests, on the final day you can do wonders :)

Always start off with a GMAT prep test before you start the preparation to get an idea where do you stand.
Then follow it up with MGMAT tests during the middle of the preparations.
And finally when you have one or two weeks left for the actual thing, give the GMAT prep test again.
The score you get in the final test usually is 20 points plus minus your actual score.(although everybody hopes it to be plus ... but alas!!)

The GMAT Prep exams have a huge database and so can be taken twice, by resetting the rooster. There might be a few repeats but not as many which may bother you.

My schedule for the mock test is detailed below along with the scores:

GMAT Prep 1 680 (before the starting of the preparation)

MGMAT 1 680 (Q47 V36)
MGMAT 2 690 (Q50 V34)
MGMAT 3 690 (Q48 V36)

Some free tests form GMAT Club ... scored in the range of 690 750

GMAT Prep 2 720 (dont remember the breakup and have uninstalled the software)

MGMAT 4 690 (Q45 V38)
MGMAT 5 690 (Q49 V35)
MGMAT 6 700 (Q47 V38)

GMAT Prep1 (Reset) 730 (dont remember the breakup and have uninstalled the software)
GMAT Prep2 (Reset) 750 (dont remember the breakup and have uninstalled the software)

Actual GMAT 700 (Q50 V 34)

Although i was getting scores of around 690 700 in MGMAT, but the relief was that i was scoring less in Quants and not the Verbal part. And i had read somewhere that the Quants part of MGMAT is of higher difficulty than the Actual GMAT, which was actually true.

The GMATprep exams can be taken at least twice without seeing too many repeat questions. Please make sure you take at least 2 GMATprep exams right before your GMAT at the same time as your GMAT appointment.

The G-Day experience:

I scheduled my appointment at 1:00 PM as this was the time i believed was the best for my body. People have different eating and sleeping habits and their body adjusts accordingly. I thought this was the best time for me.

The previous night i tried to have a sound sleep of 8 hours, but i just simply do not know how much i slept, due to the last minute revisions and anxiety :)
I reached my center at 12:30 PM and was done with the formalities in 15 minutes. Was seeated in front of the computer and after some password entering, my GMAT was on the way

AWA section
The arguement was given and i decided to break it. There is nothing better than the template from Chineseburned to get a good score on AWA.
You just need to plug in sentences in the format and a good AWA score is guaranteed.
Here is the link:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html

IR Section:

Was prepared for this section as i had solved the section during my mock tests and the section was more or less on teh same lines, so did not find any difficulty.
One important thing to keep in mind: Do not over exert your brain in this section, if you are not getting an answer just guess and move ahead, because till now i do not think any of the schools pay too much attention on the score of this section

Break 1: Gatorade and Biscuits, Restroom. stretching

Quants section:

I was pretty confident about this section and believed that 51 was manageable.
I started off in a good fashion and then never looked back. In between i was stuck on a question or two, and that might have gone wrong and hence the score ...
But one thing which did correctly in the Quants section was that i never ever thought about the score i was going to get, this helped me remain focused andi was able to complete the section 8 mins before the stipulated time.

The learning from here is ... even if you finish the section earlier, sit back and relax for 7 8 mins before you submit the final question. This gives your mind the pleasant much needed break additional from the 8 minutes break.
I submitted the last question when the clock showed 30 secs left and moved out for the break.

Break 2: Gatorade and Biscuits, Restroom. stretching.

Verbal Section
After the Quants section, I was feeling pretty confident as i believed that i had done justice to the Quants section. I started off with the verbal section cautiously, but at the same time maintaining the pace. It was all going fine, when one RC came and i remember explicitly that i knew i had marked the option wrong as soon as i clicked on confirm.
After that one SC question did me and I did the biggest mistake that any one who is giving GMAT can do. The thought about my final score rushed through my mind. I lost around 30 seconds there thinking of the possible combinations of (50 37) (51 36) (51 38) etc.

Although those 30 seconds did not hurt me much, but my mind was distracted from the path, which i believe hurt my score and i was not able to perform up to the mark. Finally i was able to finish the verbal section with a min and 15 seconds on the clock, I waited for few seconds and then submitted the section.

Then came the survey questions, was in no mood to answer the, but then a silly thought came to my mind that they might give some brownie points for my effort in helping them :P (That is not at all the case although and i also knew it :) )

Then the cancel and submit your score screen, i think i paused on the screen for 5 seconds and then submitted the score.

Then came my score and i was deeply hurt with myself. All the three months of preparation and i managed a "decent 700"
My friend who was also taking the test with me went out before me and saw me shaking my head vigorously and thought that i had scored a 500 or 600 :)

Came out, called up my friends and family. All were happy with the score, but i was not. Deep inside i knew i could have done better had i not thought about my score during the verbal section.

Well, in the end of it i got a 700 (Q50 V34)
A not perfect Quants score and the lowest Verbal score i scored in all of my mocks.

A perfect recipee for the retake.
I thought of writing this before i start my preparation for the retake so that I remember what needs to be done and what not to be done and i would be extremely happy if some one else is benefited from it.

My tips for the GMAT test day:

1.Get proper sleep before the day.
2. Reach the center atleast half an hour before your appointment.
3. Just revise the formulas and rules which you have prepared over the course of your studies.
4. Go through the AWA template by Chineseburned a day or two before itself. I assure you that would suffice
5. Take an energy drink and something to eat. May be biscuits or chocolates or anything,, but have some thing during the breaks.
6. Take both the breaks and i would recommend use the restroom to keep your mind free :)
7. NEVER NEVER NEVER think about the difficulty of the question and judge your performance based on the difficulty of the next question. if you are very well prepared, you are bound to feel all the questions easy :)
8. Keep a track of the time and its ok to make a guess in some unsolvable question and move on rather than wasting 5 minutes on the question.
9. Past is past, dont think about the section which is completed, leave it and move ahead. A good next section can also get you to 750 760.
10. NEVER NEVER NEVER let the thought of the final score cross through your mind during the exam. I have learned it the hard way. I hope the people who read this will leanr from m y mistakes and not repeat it.

I hope you people wont beat me for such a long post, just wanted to write what wrong i had done.
RETAKE in progress, hope to update this post with a 99th percentile score :)

I applied to NUS, NTU and ISB.
NUS, NTU rejected me even before an interview and ISB after the interview, so thinking of getting a spike in my profile with the help of GMAT

All the best to all

Updating the post with my latest GMAT score. I don't think i should be writing a debrief for the second one :)
GMAT 700 Q50 V33

Updating the post with my latest GMAT score. I don't think i should be writing a debrief for the third one :)
GMAT 710 Q50 V35

Finally the 99 percentile update is here :) GMAT 760 (Q50 V42)
Link to debrief:
arise-awake-and-stop-not-until-the-goal-is-reached-174506.html#p1383715

ISB Class of 2016 | Chat Session with ISB ADCOM | How to get started with Essays | GMAT Retake Debrief - 760 | ISB Preparation Kit | My ISB Interview-Aspired Class of 2016
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
ISB Class of 2015 | My GMAT Debrief | My ISB Interview-Aspired Class of 2014 | General interview tips

Last edited by ankurgupta03 on 18 Jul 2013, 11:05, edited 6 times in total.
Knewton GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 487 [1] , given: 384

Re: GMAT 700 (Q50 V34) Finally ... 760(Q50 V42 IR8) [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2013, 02:20
This post received
KUDOS
Sorry for such a long debrief ... :)
Can some one please let me know the mock CATs which should be taken now
As i have already done the 6 MGMATs ...

ISB Class of 2016 | Chat Session with ISB ADCOM | How to get started with Essays | GMAT Retake Debrief - 760 | ISB Preparation Kit | My ISB Interview-Aspired Class of 2016
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
ISB Class of 2015 | My GMAT Debrief | My ISB Interview-Aspired Class of 2014 | General interview tips

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 113

Kudos [?]: 1197 [1] , given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: GMAT 700 (Q50 V34) Finally ... 760(Q50 V42 IR8) [#permalink] New post 16 May 2013, 03:07
This post received
KUDOS
Good luck with your retake :)

You can use Veritas s new Cat, GMATPill s Cat, Kaplan Premier contains some Cat
Check here all-gmat-cat-practice-tests-links-prices-reviews-77460.html

Hope this helps!

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 103

Re: GMAT 700 (Q50 V34) Finally ... 760(Q50 V42 IR8) [#permalink] New post 16 May 2013, 03:58
@ankurgupta03 as you have already interviewed in ISB Just one quick query...how much importance does a gmat score count...how different is 700+ from 700 (particularly from ISB point of view )..what could be a safe target for ISB..

If u can't jump the 700 wall , drill a big hole and cross it .. I can and I WILL DO IT ...need some encouragement and inspirations from U ALL

1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator

Re: GMAT 700 (Q50 V34) Finally ... 760(Q50 V42 IR8) [#permalink] New post 16 May 2013, 04:26
This post received
KUDOS
sujit2k7 wrote:
@ankurgupta03 as you have already interviewed in ISB Just one quick query...how much importance does a gmat score count...how different is 700+ from 700 (particularly from ISB point of view )..what could be a safe target for ISB..

Hey sujit2k7

The profile is evaluated on the whole in ISB and they need a spike in your profile. I have a very average profile with an average GPA, so i thought of bringing that spike in my profile with probably a 740 750 GMAT score.

I would say that 700 is not a low score in terms of ISB as it falls around the average score for ISB, it would fetch you a call for sure with decent essays, but during the interviews, you need to be brilliant to compensate for the just average score.

They give some weight-age to the acads in terms of the GMAT score and GPA, so a low GPA should be compensated by a high GMAT score. And in the case of ISB, 700 is not high.

The main thing which i found out is required to be present in your profile is that spike which shows that you have excelled in one field or the other, be it work experience, extracurricular, GPA or the GMAT score.

I hope i would have helped you a bit instead of confusing you more :)

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 274 [1] , given: 67

Re: GMAT 700 (Q50 V34) Finally ... 760(Q50 V42 IR8) [#permalink] New post 16 May 2013, 06:58
This post received
KUDOS
Hi ankur

Sad to note that with 700 you could not make through ISB.. One of my friend with just 660 made through ISB last year. Well I think as re applicant you cannot justify just by saying that one whole year kept preparing for the GMAT. You need to justify and present something substantial in essay 5...(only for re applicant)

So i do not think even a 740, would work a lot. Why do not ask the feedback that why were you rejected? they give you a reason, so you must focus on the point presented by them.

I am really sad to note that you did not get thru NUS and NTU; it proves the myth that GMAT is not all that you need for the college.

Good luck, with your GMAT re take....

Consider kudos if my post helps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archit
1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator

Re: GMAT 700 (Q50 V34) Finally ... 760(Q50 V42 IR8) [#permalink] New post 16 May 2013, 07:33
This post received
KUDOS
Archit143 wrote:
Hi ankur

Sad to note that with 700 you could not make through ISB.. One of my friend with just 660 made through ISB last year. Well I think as re applicant you cannot justify just by saying that one whole year kept preparing for the GMAT. You need to justify and present something substantial in essay 5...(only for re applicant)

So i do not think even a 740, would work a lot. Why do not ask the feedback that why were you rejected? they give you a reason, so you must focus on the point presented by them.

I am really sad to note that you did not get thru NUS and NTU; it proves the myth that GMAT is not all that you need for the college.

Good luck, with your GMAT re take....

Consider kudos if my post helps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archit

Hey Archit thanks for the insights :)
I am improving on other aspects of my profile also, have been recently promoted too :)
I know that a 740 750 alone will not make a difference, but clubbing it with other improvements might prove beneficial.

ISB have stopped giving particular feedback based on the last year application, all they do now is a session with their ADCOM members who do not know anything about your profile or the previous year application, which was present earlier also. So the concept of feedback hos gone more or less.

NUS and NTU dinged me without an interview, may be because they found similar or better profiles before me.
That is why i want to improve on every aspect of my profile, and retaking GMAT is a part of it :)
(This might make them think about my commitment also that i want to improve everything :P)

Thanks a lot for the wishes :)

Current Student
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 274 [0], given: 67

Re: GMAT 700 (Q50 V34) Finally ... 760(Q50 V42 IR8) [#permalink] New post 16 May 2013, 07:54
good maan ,

anything is achievable...i knw after such hectic application procedure of NUS and with 700 getting rejected is really a depressing feeling.

Archit
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Status: My Thread Master Bschool Threads-->Krannert(Purdue),WP Carey(Arizona),Foster(Uwashngton)
Followers: 62

Kudos [?]: 156 [1] , given: 57

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: GMAT 700 (Q50 V34) Finally ... 760(Q50 V42 IR8) [#permalink] New post 17 May 2013, 20:44
This post received
KUDOS
Excellent score..and all the best for retake...I am sure you can gain from 50 to 51 and in verbal as well.

General GMAT useful links-->

Indian Bschools Accepting Gmat | My Gmat Daily Diary | All Gmat Practice CAT's | MBA Ranking 2013 | How to Convert Indian GPA/ Percentage to US 4 pt. GPA scale | GMAT MATH BOOK in downloadable PDF format| POWERSCORE CRITICAL REASONING BIBLE - FULL CHAPTER NOTES | Result correlation between GMAT and GMAT Club's Tests | Best GMAT Stories - Period!

More useful links-->

GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios| GMAT and MBA 101|Everything You Need to Prepare for the GMAT|New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>|GMAT ToolKit: iPhone/iPod/iPad/Android application|

Verbal Treasure Hunt-->

"Ultimate" Study Plan for Verbal on the GMAT|Books to Read (Improve Verbal Score and Enjoy a Good Read)|Best Verbal GMAT Books 2012|Carcass Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section|Ultimate GMAT Grammar Book from GC club [Free Download]|Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia|Souvik's The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official-SC|ALL SC Rules+Official Qs by Experts & Legendary Club Members|Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik|Critical Reasoning Shortcuts and Tips|Critical Reasoning Megathread!|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- CR|GMAT Club's Reading Comprehension Strategy Guide|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- RC|Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia|ALL RC Strategy+Official Q by Experts&Legendary Club Members

----
---
--
-

1 KUDOS = 1 THANK

Kick Ass Gmat

2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V31
GPA: 3
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 38 [2] , given: 27

Re: GMAT 700 (Q50 V34) Finally ... 760(Q50 V42 IR8) [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2013, 22:41
This post received
KUDOS
Have you tried getting a profile evaluation by one of the experts? 'Cos, let's be honest, your GMAT score isn't too bad. Maybe it would be nice to get a 760, but is that all?

I know you mentioned the promotion. But then again, these are just pieces of information that are part of the bigger puzzle - your overall profile. So I would recommend having one of the MBA application consulting experts on this site or another evaluate your whole application and tell just what you may need to do to get an "accepted"!

Cheers!

petrifiedbutstanding

BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 487 [0], given: 384

Re: GMAT 700 (Q50 V34) Finally ... 760(Q50 V42 IR8) [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2013, 23:40
petrifiedbutstanding wrote:
Have you tried getting a profile evaluation by one of the experts? 'Cos, let's be honest, your GMAT score isn't too bad. Maybe it would be nice to get a 760, but is that all?

I know you mentioned the promotion. But then again, these are just pieces of information that are part of the bigger puzzle - your overall profile. So I would recommend having one of the MBA application consulting experts on this site or another evaluate your whole application and tell just what you may need to do to get an "accepted"!

Cheers!

Hey thanks for the insights, will surely get my profile reviewed, would be helpful if you can tell me some credible resources.
Also i think that i should improve on every aspect of my profile, hence the GMAT retake.

A 760 looks good ... much better that a 700 :D

Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS '16
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 7

Re: GMAT 700 (Q50 V34) Finally ... 760(Q50 V42 IR8) [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2013, 18:12
Hey ankur Congrats for decent score
indeed its a good score
as u r planning to retake- all the best to score 700+ , u can do it easily with some more efforts.

Am very thankful to you for sharing your experience in detail,it helps a lot of GMAT takes.

ankurgupta03 wrote:
petrifiedbutstanding wrote:

Cheers!

Hey thanks for the insights, will surely get my profile reviewed, would be helpful if you can tell me some credible resources.
Also i think that i should improve on every aspect of my profile, hence the GMAT retake.

A 760 looks good ... much better that a 700 :D
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 2.9
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 51 [1] , given: 57

Re: GMAT 700 (Q50 V34) Finally ... 760(Q50 V42 IR8) [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2013, 10:58
This post received
KUDOS
ankurgupta03 ,

Thank you sincerely for your guidance & thoughts above, this thread is very simple and to the point. I wish you the very best going forward to your next level of preparedness for ISB! All the best mate!

Regards,
Vishnu

Article --> http://www.topmba.com/blog/could-mba-de ... ay-forward

BSchool Forum Moderator

Re: GMAT 700 (Q50 V34) Finally ... 760(Q50 V42 IR8) [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2013, 11:24
vishnuns39620 wrote:
ankurgupta03 ,

Thank you sincerely for your guidance & thoughts above, this thread is very simple and to the point. I wish you the very best going forward to your next level of preparedness for ISB! All the best mate!

Thanks a lot for the wishes :)

Life is too short to make all mistakes yourself, so learn from other's mistakes ... :)

This was the line which made me write this post and i am glad that it is serving its purpose :)

2 KUDOS received
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 324 [2] , given: 191

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: GMAT 700 (Q50 V34) Finally ... 760(Q50 V42 IR8) [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2013, 04:27
This post received
KUDOS
Different schools have different priorities. Along with GMAT would suggest you to read some MBA essay guide side by side, keep a scrap pad where you jot down ideas as they come to your mind. So when time comes for essays you will have lot of scratch work to hit the road running. It's increasingly difficult to get ideas when you are under great stress(close to application deadlines). Would also suggest to get resume overhaul to present things in a way that appeals to MBA Adcoms. The tech resume in general needs an overhaul.

The question is not can you rise up to iconic! The real question is will you ?

1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 136

Kudos [?]: 1385 [1] , given: 122

Re: GMAT 700 (Q50 V34) Finally ... 760(Q50 V42 IR8) [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2013, 00:08
This post received
KUDOS
Very detail debrief! Frankly, I wish I could do all the mock tests as you did. You study so seriously. I'm 100% sure you will be paid off down the road. All the best for your retake.
Regards.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

BSchool Forum Moderator

Re: GMAT 700 (Q50 V34) Finally ... 760(Q50 V42 IR8) [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2013, 00:31
pqhai wrote:
Very detail debrief! Frankly, I wish I could do all the mock tests as you did. You study so seriously. I'm 100% sure you will be paid off down the road. All the best for your retake.
Regards.

Thanks a lot pqhai, i think i did not study as much as is reflected by the post :P
The mocks are on this time around also, have taken some 7 8 mocks till now ... scoring consistently around 740,
But i am stuck at the score and dont know how to get past it :(

BSchool Forum Moderator

Re: GMAT 700 (Q50 V34) Finally ... 760(Q50 V42 IR8) [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2013, 11:07
Alas!!! GMAT got the best of me and i ended up with a 700 again (Q50 V33)
The lowest verbal score ever :(
Finally i am done with the GMAT ... After the score, it feels that 2.5 months of studies gone in vain
Over to the applicaton process

Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 324 [0], given: 191

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: GMAT 700 (Q50 V34) Finally ... 760(Q50 V42 IR8) [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2013, 12:08
What was your target BTW. What were your GMAT Prep scores ?

If you are targeting ISB/NUS, you still can give another shot. For ISB, application/goals/ extra-curricular are less important IMO.

The question is not can you rise up to iconic! The real question is will you ?

2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 70 [2] , given: 69

Reviews Badge
Re: GMAT 700 (Q50 V34) Finally ... 760(Q50 V42 IR8) [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2013, 12:25
This post received
KUDOS
@Ankur

I understand the pain and perseverance you must have underwent during your preparation. Don't be disheartened and GMAT score is certainly not the end of the road. But, NOBODY is stopping you from taking another shot!

Although I am not an expert, would like to share my views if they can help:

OPTION 1) First of all, give GMAT another shot. Remember you have nailed our Indian CAT with 98-99%.You have to focus on Verbal only, as Quant is already in your back pocket. You can take some course from XYZ prep companies that give a money back guarantee if the score doesn't improve by 40-50 points.(e-GMAT Verbal Live prep, Knewton etc)

Here you invest time, lets say 1 month, if score improves, well and good otherwise your move ahead with whole fee refunded. Most of the US colleges will have their deadline around end-of Sept. So, you still have 1 solid month to give it a shot somewhere mid-August, go for it. For ISB,NUS and Nanyang, see the Indian economy (currency fluctuations), lot of guys will be aiming at Asian colleges and with exp around 3-4yrs for an IT guy, it is becomes super tough.

OPTION 2) You continue with 700 and spend some time working on your profile. Remember joining an NGO now and showing to adcoms that you participate in NGO activity won't help at all. I guess you already know your choice of schools well so that research time will be saved. If you don't have any idea regarding your choice of schools, won't be much of a problem considering the power of networking these days. Essays, you can write in 1 month assuming you have fair knowledge/exp since you already wrote for ISB. Also,for LOC, it won't be a big problem to get the feedback from your Team Lead/Supervisors.To evaluate your profile and for further help, we have experts in this wonderful forum.

To sum up, you can't improve GPA, volunteer work, ECs, and you come from a very competitive pool. The one thing that can quickly make you DISTINCT is a 750+ :-D

Well, I may sound as if I have aced GMAT, but unfortunately I am in the same boat to join 700+ clubbers. But,after reading your whole journey I believe you can/should nail this monster.

Cheers!
Re: GMAT 700 (Q50 V34) Finally ... 760(Q50 V42 IR8)   [#permalink] 19 Jul 2013, 12:25