Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 11 Jul 2014, 03:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT 700+ strategy

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT 700+ strategy [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2005, 10:57
Hi Guys,
I am new here. I happened to stumble on this site accidentally. I have been preparing for my GMATS for about a month now. I am planning to take the exam on November 26th.

A little bit about myself..I am 24, been working for about 2 years at an investment bank with research technology in New York city. I am planning to go to business school next year.

I am basically shooting for a 700 or over. 700 is most defintely my lower limit target and I want to know from people who have been studying or have given the exam for what it takes to do it.

Any posts would be appreciated!

Last edited by airwolf on 03 Apr 2006, 16:06, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

[#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2005, 18:49
Well, unless you're a great standardized test taker, it usually takes 2-3 months to prep, especially if you're aiming for a 700+. How did you do on your SATs?

Plan on spending 2-3 hours a day (or 4 if you're really taking it that soon) doing practice questions, and do a full practice exam, timed, each weekend. Thoroughly review your answers, including the right ones, to pick up patterns and more quickly figure out the test. Keep an error log (there should be a sticky post about that somewhere on here).

I would start with Cracking the GMAT from the Princeton Review (best strategy book on the market), the 11th edition of the Official Guide (not the 10th -- too many years too old, and quant's gotten a lot harder), and the Powerprep tests that you can download free from http://www.mba.com.

See you you're doing over the next few weeks, and ask for help in the forums when you need it. You'll need to work hard to get 700+, so I'd get started. :-)
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Powerprep 690 [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2005, 10:39
Hi,
I have been studying for the past month and now I am following a more structured approach. I am confident about my math skills but not in Verbal.
Today I gave the powerprep test 1 and got a 690. I frankly think this is an overestimation. I would probably be closer to 650 at this point. I made way too many mistakes in the Verbal. I have about 7 more weeks till my test at this point.
In verbal I see that I am not following an strategy whatsoever. Whatever score I get is basically using my best guess for the answers. I mean I am sure I use 'some' sort of homemade thinking process to solve the critical reasoning and RC but most of it is judgement and common sense. I want to get to the point when I am really confident of my answers and know whats wrong with the choices that I dont like.
Now heres what I am planning to do...I am planning to start putting more emphasis in the coming week or two on verbal. Do a tonne of critical reasoning, RC and sentence corrections. Possibly the ones here on gmatclub website and then next week give another test and see how I fare in verbal. I think if I can cross that threshold on verbal Ill be able to make the 700 mark.
Thanks nickelback for your post. I appreciate it!

Nickelback wrote:
Well, unless you're a great standardized test taker, it usually takes 2-3 months to prep, especially if you're aiming for a 700+. How did you do on your SATs?

Plan on spending 2-3 hours a day (or 4 if you're really taking it that soon) doing practice questions, and do a full practice exam, timed, each weekend. Thoroughly review your answers, including the right ones, to pick up patterns and more quickly figure out the test. Keep an error log (there should be a sticky post about that somewhere on here).

I would start with Cracking the GMAT from the Princeton Review (best strategy book on the market), the 11th edition of the Official Guide (not the 10th -- too many years too old, and quant's gotten a lot harder), and the Powerprep tests that you can download free from http://www.mba.com.

See you you're doing over the next few weeks, and ask for help in the forums when you need it. You'll need to work hard to get 700+, so I'd get started. :-)

Last edited by airwolf on 03 Apr 2006, 16:07, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2005, 11:10
Popew626 had a good checklist for SC questions not too long ago:

-Subject-verb
-Tense
-Modifier
-Parallelism
-Comparison
-Idiom

He suggested writing those down on the top of your page when you start verbal and going through them one by one on each SC question, to help narrow down your choices.

For CR, my trick was to make a grid (with ABCDE for each question), and as I crossed out answers, write next to it in brief why I crossed it out. For example, if I crossed out answer C, next to it I might write "180" or "out of scope" or "too extreme". The idea is, if I have to make the argument to myself of why I'm eliminating an answer, it will be stronger in my mind why I choose the answer I pick.

RC is a lot like CR in the strategy of how to answer questions. The trick wtih RC, I think, is to skim the passage quickly once to get the general idea, then read it again carefully, then answer each question.

Good luck!
  [#permalink] 09 Oct 2005, 11:10