Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 10:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

gmat 710 (q 47 v 41) tips for non natives..

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
5 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton..:)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 31 [5] , given: 14

GMAT Tests User
gmat 710 (q 47 v 41) tips for non natives.. [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2010, 08:25
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I took my gmat on 23rd december in new delhi ( testing center was excellent) :) and scored 710 (q 47 v 41) AWA 4.5:( this was my first attempt .

verbal :

- I am a very average guy(rather below average i should say ) but i worked hard in a structured way during the course of my prepration i chopped and changed my strategies especially with RC's .At the end of my prepration i was able to get around 90% of the rc's right and averaged ard 6-7 mins to solve 5 questions on an RC . This helped me a lot to get better at SC because i take a lot of time to solve SC questions ( ard 2 mins per question ) .
- I can proudly say that i am really good at solving CR's tht's by far my favourate part i can't remember a CR questions that i solved incorrectly ever.In fact i write CR questions for a test prep company in india :)
- SC i really hate them :)
what i did was i just memorised the patterns from the OG , GMAT -prep software . I practiced Sc's from OG so many times that i can literally remember everything .
I really liked the manhanttan SC book for learning rules and stuff .Practice questions at the back of manhattan sc are really good.
-Though i never liked manhattan tests especially the CR questions ,trust me GMAT will never ask you the kind of CR questions that are asked on the manhattan tests doing CR's from manhattan can actually harm your performace because for CR's you need to be attenued to pick up the subtleties that are asked on a particular test ( for ex doing well on LSAT cr is not a gurantee that you will do well on GMAT cr's as well -though the question type is same both have very different kind of logics tested) in fact i would advice you to follow knewton for cr's since they have modelled there whole course on OG-12!!

- There are other flaws with manhattan verbal questions also but i am not going to go into the details coz tht will project me as anti-manhattan . In fact i am a hugh manhattan gmat fan , i really respect their books it's only there test series that i have a problem with :)

here are my manhattan gmat scores-
CAT-1=560( Q 48 , V-DON'T REMEMBER BUT WAS IN 20'S)
THIS WAS MY FIRST TEST I GOT ALL THE SC'S WRONG!!
CAT-2= 620 ( q 48 , v - poor again in 20's)
gave up manhattan !
move on!

i just took GMAT prep sectional tests tht was it .

QUANTS

Poor scores on manhattan verbal killed my confidence i was forced to give up quants all together and work on verbal
here are my quants scores:
i took a gmatprep test ( only quants)
-scored 49
so since i scored 48,48,49 i guessed i was ohke at quants and i needed to focus more on verbal gave up quants!!!:)
and at this time i just had ard 15 days left to prepare , btw i prepared for 45 days on and off..(had to take CFA-level 1 on 5th dec and TOEFL on 19th decemeber and plus i had an accident in the last week of my prep so lost a bit of rhythm )

Final 15 days

-I am a non native speaker at this point in time i realised tht i could score 49 on quants on the d-day and i tried different combinations with Q-49 for my verbal and tried to gueestimate a verbal score i would need to get to 700's..
so i came up with 35!
- I gave my first gmat prep test ( wrote only verbal this time )
scored 37 , all CR's correct almost 90% of rc's correct , sc i still sucked !!( god damm sc'ss..!!!!)
- focused all my energies towards improving SC's..
wht i did was i did OG-12 twice without thinking -
first 3 days - did sc from og once..( had an accuracy of ard 60%)
day 4-6- did tht document from gmatprep tht has all the sc's..( 60% accuracy)
day 7-8 - revised all the concepts again
day 9-10 - did og-12 again( ard 85 % accurancy did only the last 60% of the og -sc)
day 11,12,13- had an accident on day 11th did not study at all ....!!
day 14th - had to catch a train to delhi , i live in gwalior which is 350 kms away from delhi so again did not study
day 15th - revised all the mistakes i made in sc's..( took gmaptprep test 2 only VERBAL -scored 40 )
day -16 th -wrote the exam scored 41
I should say tht 15 days might appear to be a very short span of time , but i used to study for 10-12 hrs a day or may be even more :)
doing og in 3 days for me meant -learning OG !
i used to do 30-40 questions-, note the logic used ,compare it to the previous questions , make a similar sort of question myself and save it for later.
so i infact created an OG-12 sc of my own ( so when i say i did og-12 twice in last 15 days tht means i did OG at least 4-5 times )

WHAT I REALIZED ABOUT GMAT SC'S?

SC'S are undoubtedly the most important section for your verbal i had an accuracy of ( 100% ) CR''s 90% RC's) and less than 50 % for sc's , and i knew that unless i take my accuracy in sc to more than 80% i cannot score more than 40 on verbal
I made a concious effort to stick to my strengths - which are a decent memory , good observation ! etc
i realised that SC's on gmat has a very specific pattern in fact it dedicates a certain amount of questions to certain logics
for example - " ING " form if you know how this is used on the GMAT you can get 3-4 questions on GMAT solely based on this
" THAT vs which " using that constitutes 2 questions on gmat
"x, modifier,modifier " -constitutes 2-3 questions
and so on .....!!!!
so i memorised all this stuff and went for my exam !!

THE D-DAY !

Started with AWA - ohh crap!! AWA!! IS IT (analytical writing assignment????)
you get my point !!
i've heard great things abt some chinese guy on gmat club he has written some great AWA's , but i never bothered abt AWA's i find them petty ,annoying, and worthless ..:)[ tht's exactly wht my teachers used to find me ]
:)

quants:
It was pretty easy i should say, was gliding through the section must have guessed a couple of questions towards the end but it was very smooth .
no surprises there!
by the end of it i was expecting to score a 50 on quants ! was shocked to see a 47 !!
i guess i was a bit rusty coz i did not practice quants for last 20-25 days
did not even see a question!!, may be i solved 2-3 on the forums that was it , i was too engrossed studying SC's( bloody sc's!!!!!!)

No i was not overconfident it was just tht i was really pressed on time coz of my accident and stuff so could not take any practice tests towards the end of my prep !
Well i do regret but hell i am not gonna study for this test again !( got better things to do in life- no offence gmat club's budding gmat stars!!)

BREAK !
I SPILLED banana milk shake on my jeans !..:)
i am really clumsy !

could not go to the washroom since there were 3 mins remaining!
when i went in for the check in process i was praying tht the proctor does not say something like" dude you got sticky hands tht's against the testing policy go wash ur hands or smthing like tht ..:)"

VERBAL

IT was smooth again , i was well prepared super-cool
- Whenver i used to see a SC question i used to say -" dude make sure you get this one right u need to get 15/20 sc's right else you will have to study sc's all over again "-this made me focus even more
i realised tht difficulty level for the whole verbal section was very in line with the OG , it had no overlap with manhattan tests !( rcs on the real thing were slightly tougher and shorter , questions asked on them were contorted , CR- i am good at them so i found them to be really easy , SC- they were in line with OG and GMAT-prep )

test was pretty smooth , i was sure of scoring ard 39-40 in the verbal section when i finished the test .
I was expecting my score to be 720 !

THEN all that idiotic- bull- shit
FIll this- fill tht .....(GMAC you a*s....i am dying here and your are fu****g asking my demography , filled the hellish thing .. in all that choas i filled my undergrad major as ECONOMICS where as it is ENGINEERING i hope this does not make me a fraud ,i would really like experts to comment on this .
question -" do you want to report /cancel your score?"
wht do i look like a doosh ??? i have been writing this exam for last 4 hrs show me my result ..
- 710 .....
quants my trusted friend you screwed me .., cr's ( i love you i can't live without you , marry me :))
rc's( you have been a long trusted friend but you are boring :)) , sc's( get lost!)]
am i happy ?
well if wishes were horses .. i would be hugh hefner:)
yes i would have definitely wanted a higher gmat score may be ard 730 , i am definitely not a 750 material but i think i can live with a 710
since i just turned 23 so may be i will have to write GMAT again some time again in the future :)
but as of now i am at peace with my score !
I am really sorry if my post offended anyone , i can be a bit of a smug sometime..:)
anyways if you have any questions feel free to contact me on FB( search for - Akshat shrivastava , i am the guy wearing a black shirt clicking his own pic with a cell phone ) since i will be less active on gmatclub
thanks a lot gmat club i have gleaned a lot of wisdom from this website thanks a lot

" What [i] do is not beyond anybody else's competence"- warren buffett
My Gmat experience -http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-710-q-47-v-41-tips-for-non-natives-107086.html

Last edited by akshathbs on 29 Dec 2010, 11:33, edited 1 time in total.
Knewton GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 204 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: gmat 710 (q 47 v 41) tips for non natives.. [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2010, 09:43
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: gmat 710 (q 47 v 41) tips for non natives.. [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2010, 09:57
nice

Nanquam Fractum

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.65
WE: Project Management (Telecommunications)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 6

Re: gmat 710 (q 47 v 41) tips for non natives.. [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2010, 10:18
good pos :-D
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2161

Kudos [?]: 7610 [0], given: 3626

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: gmat 710 (q 47 v 41) tips for non natives.. [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2010, 11:22
Expert's post
Glad to see a good score!

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: gmat 710 (q 47 v 41) tips for non natives.. [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2010, 11:29
hey thankyou so much everyone
could you guys please answer the question i asked-" in all that choas i filled my undergrad major as ECONOMICS where as it is ENGINEERING i hope this does not make me a fraud ,i would really like experts to comment on this"

My Gmat experience -http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-710-q-47-v-41-tips-for-non-natives-107086.html

Manager
Manager
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: gmat 710 (q 47 v 41) tips for non natives.. [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2010, 20:09
akshathbs wrote:
hey thankyou so much everyone
could you guys please answer the question i asked-" in all that choas i filled my undergrad major as ECONOMICS where as it is ENGINEERING i hope this does not make me a fraud ,i would really like experts to comment on this"

Hey Akshat,

Very nice score.All the best for your application.

Can you please tell me in Delhi where did you write exam? What study material have you used specially for maths?

Thanks in advance,

Sonia
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Followers: 329

Kudos [?]: 1337 [0], given: 194

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: gmat 710 (q 47 v 41) tips for non natives.. [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2010, 21:08
You can change profile information on the official website I think.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: gmat 710 (q 47 v 41) tips for non natives.. [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2010, 22:04
hey sonia,
I think there are two testing centers in delhi i wrote my test in that pearson profession center address::

Pearson Professional Centers-New Delhi, India +9-11-41841472
18,Ramnath House
Yusuf Sarai Community Centre
Above Hyundai Show room
New Delhi, Delhi 110016

You have a direct metro that drops you at a 5-min walking distance from the testing center.
Hey sonia , i have a pretty average quants score so i don't think i am the right person to guide you on this but still will chip in with my 2 cents on quants-
- I studied from TMH ( arun sharma) -quantative aptitude for CAT
- I did not study from manhattan
- I never did og ( may be did around last 50 DS questions -found them to be really easy ,moved on !)
- I solved a lot of very difficult questions( in fact i just used to solve 700+ difficulty questions and that was a really stupid thing to do )
My only advice to you will be if you are struggling with basics ( say if you are scoring less than 75% on OG) study manhattan guides they are very good for the basics and if you ard scoring ( 90% plus on og) then PLEASE DO NOT ONLY PRACTICE DIFFICULT QUESTIONS!! practice a wide range of questions with varying difficulties!

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: gmat 710 (q 47 v 41) tips for non natives.. [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2010, 22:10
hey whiplash,
thanks that worked!

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 10

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: gmat 710 (q 47 v 41) tips for non natives.. [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2011, 07:55
Thank you for the review, congratulations
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 37

Re: gmat 710 (q 47 v 41) tips for non natives.. [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2011, 03:13
Wow great post , would love to read ur strategies on CRs
Re: gmat 710 (q 47 v 41) tips for non natives..   [#permalink] 11 Feb 2011, 03:13