Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 17:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT 710 (Q45, V 41) - Retake?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS R2 - Interview Scheduled, Columbia R2, Wharton R2.
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT 710 (Q45, V 41) - Retake? [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2009, 21:59
I gave my GMAT yesterday - 710 (Q45, V 41). Deficiencies in my Quant prep. were fairly obvious but no slots were available later in the month so I decided to give it a shot. 710 is my unofficial score - does this ever change in the official report card?
I messed up my timing on both sections, did the last 20 Verbal questions in 30 minutes - got stuck on a CR question and spent a lot of time on it; all in all an indisciplined attempt.

I feel the Quant was slightly easier (hate those remainder questions) and the SCs were a lot easier than the GMAT Prep. CR was tougher and RC was about the same. I am thinking of a retake - actually I had planned on it even before sitting for the exam. I was shooting for 750 but it was obvious the night before the exam that Quant would prevent me from getting there - Low 700s was my realistic projection. My Quant score is ordinary at best (45~74th percentile) - I feel I have about 40 odd points in me.

Need some advice on a re-take
    - The proctor at the exam center told me that I can only re-take the exam after 31 days - please shed some light on this.
    - I want to apply to Wharton & Columbia - 5+ years exp. Finance (Upper Middle Manager). BS & CFA. and strong extra circular & academics. I would appreciate any opinion on my chances with the current score.
    - I feel I can def. improve my Quant - there seem to be plenty of suggestions regarding improving Quant. in the forums, I have about 31 days before the next exam - I am divided between Total GMAT & GMAT Club tests
    - Need help with CR - didnot prepare at all for CR, any recommendations on resources to prepare for this one?

Last edited by khwajashoaib on 24 Nov 2009, 22:28, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 215 [0], given: 111

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: GMAT 710 (Q45, V 41) - Retake? [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2009, 22:17
khwajashoaib wrote:
I gave my GMAT yesterday - 710 (Q45, V 41). Deficiencies in my Quant prep. were fairly obvious but no slots were available later in the month so I decided to give it a shot. 710 is my unofficial score - does this ever change in the official report card?

nope, it usually is spot on. i've never seen or heard of this score changing

Quote:
I messed up my timing on both sections, did the last 20 Verbal questions in 30 minutes - got stuck on a CR question and spent a lot of time on it; all in all an indisciplined attempt.

I feel the Quant was slightly easier (hate those remainder questions) and the SCs were a lot easier than the GMAT Prep. CR was tougher and RC was about the same. I am thinking of a retake - actually I had planned on it even before sitting for the exam. I was shooting for 750 but it was obvious the night before the exam that Quant would prevent me from getting there - Low 700s was my realistic projection. My Quant score is ordinary at best (45~74th percentile) - I feel I have about 40 odd points in me.

Need some advice on a re-take
    - The proctor at the exam center told me that I can only re-take the exam after 31 days - please shed some light on this.

yes this is correct - you have to wait 31 days to retake it.

Quote:
    - I want to apply to Wharton & Columbia - 5+ years exp (Upper Middle Manager). and strong extra circular & academics. I would appreciate any opinion on my chances with the current score.
    - I feel I can def. improve my Quant - there seem to be plenty of suggestions regarding improving Quant. in the forums, I have about 31 days before the next exam - I am divided between Total GMAT & GMAT Club tests
    - Need help with CR - didnot prepare at all for CR, any recommendations on resources to prepare for this one?

should-i-retake-gmat-thread-retaking-gmat-strategies-83339.html

honestly though, retaking it is not worth your time. you're already well within the avg range at both of these programs.. you might as well just dedicate your time to writing good essays and getting LORs.

GMAT Debrief

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS R2 - Interview Scheduled, Columbia R2, Wharton R2.
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT 710 (Q45, V 41) - Retake? [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2009, 22:37
Thanks for the reply, I thought the average score for Wharton was higher than 710 or at best 710 - honestly I have never read about anyone in this forum, who got accepted to Wharton with a low 700, unless that person is a lot older. I know a colleague who got accepted - 740 is what he got.
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 215 [0], given: 111

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: GMAT 710 (Q45, V 41) - Retake? [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2009, 22:46
http://www.wharton.upenn.edu/mba/studen ... rofile.cfm

680-760 Middle 80% GMAT Range

so 80% of the most recent class got between a 680 and a 760. a 710 is right in the thick of things, so to speak. would a 730 help you any more than a 710? IMO, no. would a killer essay about why Wharton is the best fit for you help you a lot more? IMO, def. yes.

GMAT Debrief

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: GMAT 710 (Q45, V 41) - Retake?   [#permalink] 24 Nov 2009, 22:46