Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Nov 2014, 20:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT 710 Q47V41 - retake?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.74
WE: Business Development (Consumer Electronics)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

GMAT 710 Q47V41 - retake? [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2012, 14:54
I'm hoping someone could provide some advice - I am on the fence. I just took the GMAT and scored 710, while in the MGMAT exams I've scored 730-740, and on GMAT prep 720-730 (Q47-49, V41-45). It was definitely a case of test day anxiety as my hands were literally shaking during the math portion when I would look up at the clock and realize that I was a few minutes behind. Verbal was definitely harder than either GMATprep or MGMAT CATs.

I plan to apply to Stanford, Harvard, Wharton, MIT and INSEAD this summer and am wondering whether I need to take the exam again. I have an BS in electrical engineering from U of Maryland (GPA 3.74) and an MS in electrical engineering from Hopkins (GPA 4.0), and 4 years of experience - 1.5 in engineering, 2.5 in project management. I am also about to take a position with a management consulting firm where I plan to work until matriculation. When applying I will be 25 years old.

Given the background above, would my profile look any better to the mentioned schools with a higher gmat score? Does my educational background at all offset the poor math sub score? I'm a bit disappointed with my performance, but don't really want to pay Pearson another $250 unless it could have more than a marginal improvement in my application.

One other consideration is that I plan to go to McKinsey/Bain/BCG after my MBA and I know they require you to submit your GMAT score. Would a 710 decrease my odds of getting into the firms?

Thanks in advance for taking a second to help a fellow member of gmatclub.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Followers: 123

Kudos [?]: 615 [0], given: 114

Re: GMAT 710 Q47V41 - retake? [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2012, 15:28
I personally wouldn't retake b/c I think you risk decreasing your score. Considering your MGMAT and GMATprep scores, it really seems that you performed at just about what you should have expected. If you were scoring 760 it might be another story. I would only retake if you are very sure that you can score 740+ while bringing up your quant also. At this point, it might be smart to spend the rest of your time working hard on your app since a 710 is actually quite strong, and within the 80% range of every school out there by far!

If you honestly think that you can score a 740+ with a month of study, the only reason why it might be worth it is the fact that you could bring up the quant score slightly, it might MARGINALLY improve you application, and might MARGINALLY improve your application to top consulting firms. A 710 will meet any cut off for consulting, plus you will have some management consulting experience before school.

If I were in your shoes, I would wait unti R1 for these schools to give yourself the best chance, and to give you some more time at your management consulting company. (this may be what you are doing already)

Good luck!

New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>

My GMAT and BSchool Tips:

Take a Survey about GMAT Prep - Win Prizes!

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Said
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V44
GPA: 2.9
WE: Marketing (Computer Software)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 22

Re: GMAT 710 Q47V41 - retake? [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2012, 00:51
GMATLA wrote:
At this point, it might be smart to spend the rest of your time working hard on your app since a 710 is actually quite strong, and within the 80% range of every school out there by far!

If you honestly think that you can score a 740+ with a month of study, the only reason why it might be worth it is the fact that you could bring up the quant score slightly, it might MARGINALLY improve you application, and might MARGINALLY improve your application to top consulting firms. A 710 will meet any cut off for consulting, plus you will have some management consulting experience before school.

Good luck!

I agree, GMATLA. It is just the right advice. I have been struggling for the last 2 days to reconcile to this very same advice! But while it is perfectly correct advice, it is very hard to accept emotionally!

On another note, how is your apping going, GMATLA? Since I am now in the apping phase myself, I would really appreciate your insights on how to start about it. I am applying to Oxford and Cambridge this year. But if my GMAT journey taught me anything, it is that I should read up the awesome advice given on the forum before I start! Any help that you can provide in that regard? Links, posts, etc?

If you like it, Kudo it!

"There is no alternative to hard work. If you don't do it now, you'll probably have to do it later. If you didn't need it now, you probably did it earlier. But there is no escaping it."

710 Debrief. Crash and Burn

Re: GMAT 710 Q47V41 - retake?   [#permalink] 17 Mar 2012, 00:51