Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 07:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT 720 + AWA 6

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT 720 + AWA 6 [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2006, 07:59
Guys, first of all let me thank all the members of gmatclub who provided excellent guidance for the test. The information, advice and tips you guys provide are all awesome. I was not an active participant on the club but I found very useful information and tips for preparation. More than anything else the success stories posted here were very inspiring to me. If not for those success stories, I couldn’t have entered the test room with so much of confidence. Once again thanks to you all.

Here is my story:

I started considering GMAT in mid ‘05 but it was not until Feb’06 that I started serious preparation for the test. I followed the wise men’s advice and planned for a 10 week preparation (It proved just appropriate).

KAPLAN:
I started my preparation with Kaplan book. Refreshed my basics in quant and learned useful tips for the verbal section and completed all the exercises.
The real acceleration to the preparation came with the Kaplan CD. Completed the diagnostic test with 630. The Kaplan CD is very good in providing analysis of performance. From the analysis, I found my weak areas – RC, SC and CR (in that order).
RC:
Thanks to gmatclub, for the RC1000. I didn’t do any of the other 1000 series though. I worked on 80-90 passages from RC1000 (I selected the science topics). That boosted my confidence on RC. Did each passage with timing. I started with 10 min per passage and by the time I completed 80-90 passages, the time reduced to 7 min per passage. My suggestion to GMAT aspirants is while you are practicing RC, try to develop an interest in the topic you are reading. It takes atleast 10-15 passages before you develop this interest. Kaplan says – read the first paragraph thoroughly and glance through the details in other paragraphs. But this approach didn’t work for me. I allocated 3-4 minutes to read the whole passage thoroughly and after that, answering 3-4 questions takes just about 3 minutes. See what works for you.
SC:
Kaplan Grammar Power explains the basics in very “understandableâ€
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2006, 10:18
Hi ,

great score and more than that a great post.
I am 6 weeks away from my GMAT. I started arnd a month back..but havent been regular with my studies.But last week I booked my GMAT date and now can feel the pressure to gain expertise as exam is not far off.I am done with Pr...though havent worked n Kaplan yet.
Took GMAT prep after working on PR..got 720...
Siince then ,I have been regular with doing SC...questions...eiher frm GMATClub or from SC 1000.
However, havent started working on 1000RC as yet.
Can you please share your error log...though I have prepared one..but I want to ensure that I make the most out of it...It will be gud if I can add some useful info in my error log...refering urs.

All the best for ur apps.
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2006, 10:22
Congrats Dude! Great Score
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2006, 10:44
Did u find the actual GMAT questions tougher than the questions u practiced?
Director
Director
Followers: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2006, 11:20
Congrats thegmatguy,

Your score is great :king

All the best for your future endavours..
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2006, 09:37
Congrats Gmatguy. My experience was much the same (730 [42Q,48V] 6.0 AWA), so I can't add much, except to remind everyone to

A - get a good night's sleep the night before

B - bring snacks for your breaks, and yes you definitely should take your breaks

C - trust yourself and relax.
Intern
Intern

Error Log... [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2006, 10:09
itishaj,
I uploaded the errorlog yesterday into another thread. please find it here - "http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=27807"
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2006, 10:13
sm176811,
yes I found the questions from actual exam tougher than those from the practice. partly might be due to the exam pressure, but yes relatively they were tougher. But the good part was that the concepts from the practice (OG, Kaplan, PR) were sufficient to answer the real exam questions.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2006, 10:20
[quote="drummond"]Congrats Gmatguy. My experience was much the same (730 [42Q,48V] 6.0 AWA), so I can't add much, except to remind everyone to

A - get a good night's sleep the night before

B - bring snacks for your breaks, and yes you definitely should take your breaks

C - trust yourself and relax.[/quote]

Congrats to you drummond. That's awesome score. Those are very useful tips that you added. I also took every available break during the exam and it helped to get refreshed before attempting the next section. I carried some snacks, but didn't eat them and lost few moments of focus during verbal, because of the hunger (but i wouldn't say that i lost few points on verbal because of that) :-)
  [#permalink] 25 Apr 2006, 10:20