Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 09:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT 720 (Q:46, V:45) - What do I do now?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 05 Oct 2006
Posts: 43
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT 720 (Q:46, V:45) - What do I do now? [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2006, 05:48
Hi all, my friend just told me about this site and boy did I wish I had this resource before going thru the whole ordeal. Figured I would register and partake in this great community you all have created.

Brief history: I'm still looking at what schools I want to attend, I don't intend on applying for the ultra-elite schools but I would like to apply to NYU and Columbia (as I currently reside in NYC). I majored in BA, concentration in Finance with a history minor at a top 20 BA program, graduating in 2003, UG GPA was average at best (3.1), have been working in a big hedge fund in an operations and risk control role for 2 yrs and 1 yr in a bank in a similar function.

I just took the GMAT yesterday for the first time and scored a 720. My verbal score was a 45, putting me in the 97%. However my math score was a 46 putting me in the 78%. Now I know MBA programs heavily favor Quant scores relative to Verbal. My verbal scores are pretty static, I had taken a Kaplan Prep course and done all the practice CATs - all the verbal scores I got were always in the lower-middle to upper-middle 40 raw score range.

Should I be re-taking the GMAT in hopes of attaining a more balanced score? Any help would be appreciated. Cheers!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 15 Jul 2006
Posts: 382
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2006, 06:18
Hi obeny81, you got a great score - congrats!
How were your Q scores before taking the test? If they were also pretty static than I would not bother retaking the test because any improvement would be very marginal. Meaning you'd spend months and months studying only to better your performance minimaly. In my opinion (which is NOT professional), this would not be worth your time. You'd be better off spending it on your application essays, which are numerous and very time consuming. Then you'd also be done and able to apply earlier than if you retake the test. I think that solid essays and applying early would increase your chances of getting in more so than a slight change in GMAT Q score. Especially considering that 720 is an excelent score!

Also consider your performance in quantitative undergrad. courses. If it was decent than there is another argument against taking GMATS again.

hope this helps and good luck!
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 05 Oct 2006
Posts: 43
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2006, 06:39
the highest Q raw score i ever got was a 48 on my practice CATs...

if only the % was a 80%, not a 78%, I wouldn't even be thinking about this. :x
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Mar 2006
Posts: 22
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT 720 (Q:46, V:45) - What do I do now? [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2006, 07:12
obeny81 wrote:
Hi all, my friend just told me about this site and boy did I wish I had this resource before going thru the whole ordeal. Figured I would register and partake in this great community you all have created.

Brief history: I'm still looking at what schools I want to attend, I don't intend on applying for the ultra-elite schools but I would like to apply to NYU and Columbia (as I currently reside in NYC). I majored in BA, concentration in Finance with a history minor at a top 20 BA program, graduating in 2003, UG GPA was average at best (3.1), have been working in a big hedge fund in an operations and risk control role for 2 yrs and 1 yr in a bank in a similar function.

I just took the GMAT yesterday for the first time and scored a 720. My verbal score was a 45, putting me in the 97%. However my math score was a 46 putting me in the 78%. Now I know MBA programs heavily favor Quant scores relative to Verbal. My verbal scores are pretty static, I had taken a Kaplan Prep course and done all the practice CATs - all the verbal scores I got were always in the lower-middle to upper-middle 40 raw score range.

Should I be re-taking the GMAT in hopes of attaining a more balanced score? Any help would be appreciated. Cheers!


Hi there

man- there is an high calibre person on this forum (and active in the same time )- pelihu

read all his posts- and you will have answers to all your questions (and even more) mentioned above!

cheers
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 31 Jul 2006
Posts: 2308
Schools: Darden
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 421 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2006, 09:56
GV, thanks for the compliment.

I wanted to point out that Columbia is in fact among the ultra-elites. In fact, given recent admit rates and yields, I argued in a prior post that Columbia is now as difficult to get into as Wharton. Admit rates at Wharton over the last four years have been 13%, 16%, 16% & 21%; yields were 74%, 70%, 68% & 69%. Admit rates at Columbia over the last four have been 11%, 12%, 15%, 15% and yields 72%, 76%, 71% & 76%, besting Wharton in both areas virtually every year. Now, there are probably differences in quality of applications, but suffice to say Columbia is hard to get in to. Columiba is also solidy with the ultra-elites in terms of reputation, job prospects, etc.

NYU, on the other hand, is among the next grouping of schools. Just a personal annecdote, I spoke with an NYU representative at the MBA fair in San Francisco a few days ago. I asked her about the prospects of competing for a job on the west coast and spcifically after graduation from NYU and she kind of got a funny look on her face. NYU clearly has much influence in New York City (which should work fine for you) but for those planning to work elsewhere, it would be advisable to do your research.

Now regarding your scores, I think you are correct that many of the top schools (and especially Columbia and NYU) look closely at the Q portion. That said, your 46/78% is not far off from the mythical 80% mark that many schools prefer. However, because your GPA is towards the bottom end of the 80% range at these schools, and your GMAT is average to slightly above, you probably need to at least consider re-taking. As it stands, unless you can really distinguish yourself elsewhere in your application, you are a long shot at Columbia and probably no better than an average applicant at NYU. 720 is a very good score, but given the quantitative bents of these two schools, I think a few more points could help. If you think you can impove by 30 points overall, then your GMAT could effectively balance out your lower than average GPA.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Mar 2006
Posts: 22
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2006, 10:06
pelihu wrote:
GV, thanks for the compliment.

I wanted to point out that Columbia is in fact among the ultra-elites. In fact, given recent admit rates and yields, I argued in a prior post that Columbia is now as difficult to get into as Wharton. Admit rates at Wharton over the last four years have been 13%, 16%, 16% & 21%; yields were 74%, 70%, 68% & 69%. Admit rates at Columbia over the last four have been 11%, 12%, 15%, 15% and yields 72%, 76%, 71% & 76%, besting Wharton in both areas virtually every year. Now, there are probably differences in quality of applications, but suffice to say Columbia is hard to get in to. Columiba is also solidy with the ultra-elites in terms of reputation, job prospects, etc.

NYU, on the other hand, is among the next grouping of schools. Just a personal annecdote, I spoke with an NYU representative at the MBA fair in San Francisco a few days ago. I asked her about the prospects of competing for a job on the west coast and spcifically after graduation from NYU and she kind of got a funny look on her face. NYU clearly has much influence in New York City (which should work fine for you) but for those planning to work elsewhere, it would be advisable to do your research.

Now regarding your scores, I think you are correct that many of the top schools (and especially Columbia and NYU) look closely at the Q portion. That said, your 46/78% is not far off from the mythical 80% mark that many schools prefer. However, because your GPA is towards the bottom end of the 80% range at these schools, and your GMAT is average to slightly above, you probably need to at least consider re-taking. As it stands, unless you can really distinguish yourself elsewhere in your application, you are a long shot at Columbia and probably no better than an average applicant at NYU. 720 is a very good score, but given the quantitative bents of these two schools, I think a few more points could help. If you think you can impove by 30 points overall, then your GMAT could effectively balance out your lower than average GPA.


man- you simply shine!

its the way you aproach, the way you think / reason and LAST (but not least) the way you present !

i sense that when i read your first GMAT experience.


cheers
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 05 Oct 2006
Posts: 43
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2006, 11:16
thanks for the insight pelihu...

i was actually reading more about Columbia and realized that it is indeed somewhat unreachable for me. i'm still looking at other schools though. As for retaking the GMATs, I'll pick up the books again in a month. I was a hermit for the month and a half before the test and I just need to unwind some! :wink:

if i can't pick up the math score on a consistent basis, then i guess i'm done...
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 31 Jul 2006
Posts: 2308
Schools: Darden
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 421 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2006, 11:23
obeny81 wrote:
thanks for the insight pelihu...

i was actually reading more about Columbia and realized that it is indeed somewhat unreachable for me. i'm still looking at other schools though. As for retaking the GMATs, I'll pick up the books again in a month. I was a hermit for the month and a half before the test and I just need to unwind some! :wink:

if i can't pick up the math score on a consistent basis, then i guess i'm done...


Hey Obney81, my pleasure. I wanted to clarify something from my prior post. I don't want anyone to think I believe 720 is a bad score; it is a great score. My response was based on your targeting just two schools, one of which was Columbia. Now, if you were to target the usual 5-7 schools in the top 15 or so range, I think that there's a good chance you'll be admitted (just based on the information you've stated so far). Virginia, Duke, Cornell and some others are all right in your range.

Good plan for the GMAT, if you can get a consistent improvement, a higher school would be beneficial. If not, then it's not worth the trouble.
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 05 Oct 2006
Posts: 43
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2006, 12:12
I'm still relatively new to all the rankings (if you can't tell :P ). I intend on applying for fall '08 so I do have some time to get my affairs in order before diving in.

I just hear alot of horror stories (ex. my kaplan gmat teacher scored a 730, ivy grad - 3.7 gpa , trader - rejected by all schools (top schools) he app'ed to, he got WL'ed by NYU but then rejected afterwards).

Needless to say I'm freaked out a bit by my chances :shock:
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 16 Aug 2005
Posts: 950
Location: France
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2006, 15:21
obeny81 wrote:

I just hear alot of horror stories (ex. my kaplan gmat teacher scored a 730, ivy grad - 3.7 gpa , trader - rejected by all schools (top schools) he app'ed to, he got WL'ed by NYU but then rejected afterwards).



Well that just shows that GMAT and GPA are not the only determinants of your entry into b-school. Your essays, interviews, recos are equally important.
_________________

I believe its yogurt!

  [#permalink] 05 Oct 2006, 15:21
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic 730 GMAT-45q46v---retake? Disha987 3 11 Jan 2014, 02:09
2 Experts publish their posts in the topic 720(Q50 V37) What I was about to do wrong. ManuDiCapri 4 27 May 2013, 10:25
650 (Q45, V35, AWA6) .... Good enough for what I'm doing. rkh81 2 05 Jul 2011, 09:00
What Do I Do Now? nickesha 1 03 Nov 2009, 02:54
WHAT SHOULD I DO NOW - GMAT - 530 Q32 V29 - PLEASE HELP!! dreaming700plus 1 09 Sep 2007, 09:32
Display posts from previous: Sort by

GMAT 720 (Q:46, V:45) - What do I do now?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: TGC



cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.