Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 12:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT 740 (Q46, V46, AWA 6.0, IR 6) -- retake?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 740 Q46 V46
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT 740 (Q46, V46, AWA 6.0, IR 6) -- retake? [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2013, 20:28
Hi, I know this may sound absurd to some of you guys here but I'm seriously wondering whether I should retake my GMAT.

As a quick point of introduction, I am a fresh college grad who will be working at a top tier consulting firm (not MBB, but think of OW, Deloitte) starting this fall.

So here's the thing -- my verbal came out to be higher than what I expected/usually got from practice tests, while my Quant was significantly lower. Also, the low IR is kinda alarming as well.

My stats are as follows:
undergrad: lower-tier Ivy (think of Cornell, Brown)
GPA: 3.89
strong ECs
international student, female

While I don't plan to apply to b-schools until a few years later, I just want to get over with GMAT asap before I start work because I don't think I can push myself to study for it while working. With current GMAT score at hand, do you guys think I should retake, esp. to maximize my chances at top b-schools such as HBS/Stanford/Wharton? While I know that 740 isn't a bad score at all, I can't stop thinking that I could've done better in math...
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 90

Kudos [?]: 394 [0], given: 73

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: GMAT 740 (Q46, V46, AWA 6.0, IR 6) -- retake? [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2013, 21:00
Don't retake it. A higher score isn't going to give you a better shot at your target schools. The GMAT is a check the box type of thing. Once you've reached a certain threshold (~710-720) scoring higher doesn't hold any incremental value. Focus on enjoying your summer and starting your new job. What you do in the next 2-4 years is going to matter a whole lot more for your applications than your GMAT score (which is fan-freaking-tastic, btw).

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 49

Kudos [?]: 160 [1] , given: 66

Re: GMAT 740 (Q46, V46, AWA 6.0, IR 6) -- retake? [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2013, 21:49
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
ds632 wrote:
Hi, I know this may sound absurd to some of you guys here but I'm seriously wondering whether I should retake my GMAT.

As a quick point of introduction, I am a fresh college grad who will be working at a top tier consulting firm (not MBB, but think of OW, Deloitte) starting this fall.

So here's the thing -- my verbal came out to be higher than what I expected/usually got from practice tests, while my Quant was significantly lower. Also, the low IR is kinda alarming as well.

My stats are as follows:
undergrad: lower-tier Ivy (think of Cornell, Brown)
GPA: 3.89
strong ECs
international student, female

While I don't plan to apply to b-schools until a few years later, I just want to get over with GMAT asap before I start work because I don't think I can push myself to study for it while working. With current GMAT score at hand, do you guys think I should retake, esp. to maximize my chances at top b-schools such as HBS/Stanford/Wharton? While I know that 740 isn't a bad score at all, I can't stop thinking that I could've done better in math...

Hi ds632, to ruin the punch line early: I wouldn't retake it. This is a question of looking at the scenarios:

Scenario 1: You score the same or lower. This doesn't help you in any way, and can only hurt you.
Scenario 2: You score higher: Great, but what does a 760 show that a 740 doesn't? Not too much. Sure you could have potentially done better on the math, but let's say you retake it and get a marginally higher score. Do you foresee any situation in which this is a make-or-break decision for a school? The IR doesn't seem to be an issue either, 6 is pretty good!

I think the only way you take this exam again is if you apply to Harvard (or wherever) and they tell you to get a higher score. Otherwise, the GMAT is great, the GPA is great, the profile looks exemplary. I think you're pretty much done.

That being said... if you just want to prove to yourself you can get a higher score... no one will stop you! It's unnecessary but it might just be fun! *Disclaimer: I find this exam much more interesting and fun than most people* :)

Hope this helps!

Ron Awad
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting Services
Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q V
WE: General Management (Education)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 3

Re: GMAT 740 (Q46, V46, AWA 6.0, IR 6) -- retake? [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2013, 22:33
Hi ds632,

You know the answer and the earlier comments have it in it.

GMAT has an objective and you have pretty much proved what you needed to. As a fresher, I understand that you have an additional obsession to achieve that higher 'number' but that will not prove much - strictly from a B-School admission perspective. (you can have other personal motivations & points to prove!)

From an admissions point of view, it will serve you better to focus on the quality of work you do, the initiatives you take that helps you grow as a professional. Overall have a good time and all the best for your professional life.

Anshul

MBA Admissions Consultant
Entrepreneur & Educationist
Alumni, Indian School of Business (ISB), Hyderabad (GMAT: 760)
India
http://www.anshulgupta.net

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!
Click Here for a free consultation!

Believe in The Power of Simplicity!

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE: Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 192 [0], given: 625

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: GMAT 740 (Q46, V46, AWA 6.0, IR 6) -- retake? [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2013, 04:12
Seriously??? An international female with a 3.9 GPA, 740 GMAT, and consulting experience? You're golden!
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: Q V0
GPA: 3.45
WE: Marketing (Consumer Electronics)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 5

Re: GMAT 740 (Q46, V46, AWA 6.0, IR 6) -- retake? [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2013, 05:51
In Sandy (HBS Guru)'s words, schools like HBS ding and take in kids like you all the time based on strong execution :)
Re: GMAT 740 (Q46, V46, AWA 6.0, IR 6) -- retake?   [#permalink] 08 Jun 2013, 05:51