Joined: 29 Aug 2013
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, Statistics
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 640 Q49 V27
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
, given: 1
GMAT 750(Q50 V41 AWA4.5) Business Analyst IT Exp 7 years [#permalink]
02 Sep 2013, 19:26
I am an Indian male, 28 years with following credentials :
1. Two GMAT attempts -
2 Sep 2010.............Score 750(Q50, V41, AWA4.5)
15 July 2010...........Score 640
2. UG in Mech. Engineering from Delhi College of Engineering in 2006. CGPA - 60% (comparatively low)
3. 7 years of IT experience as Business Analyst in general insurance for US and UK markets. Responsibilities - a.) Stakeholder analysis b.) Estimating, Scoping, Eliciting, Analyzing, Managing, Documenting, Validating and Communicating Requirements while engaging Business and IT stakeholders. c.) Solution assessment and validation. Techniques used - Requirement workshops, Structured walkthroughs, Business process modeling, Organizational modeling, Use cases etc.
4. Functional domain for first 5 years - Underwriting, Policy admin, Claims processes supported by IT applications. Extensive Business domain knowledge in P&C insurance.
5. Last 2 years in Web Analytics, Digital marketing, Content management.
6. Web Analytics Experience - Presentations to Business owners with the web traffic analysis, Provide insights to optimize marketing results through digital channels (increased conversion rates, improved user experience etc), Customer segmentation to target selectively, Campaign monitoring (monitored a large scale campaign on weather channel during hurricane Sandy)
7. Digital Content Management - Easy updating and publishing of web content, Governance for content update, enabling enterprise wide Search, Personalization of content based on user profile
8. I have worked in US, UK and India for insurance clients. Employed with Accenture for last 4 years. Previously was employed with a small indian IT services company after college for 3 years.
9. Certified Business Analysis Professional (CBAP) from International institute of Business Analysis (IIBA)
10. Extra curricular - Editor of a fortnightly newsletter for a group of 80 at work, Led the team of 5 to organize weekly recreational events that resulted in collaborative work culture through increased interaction.
Goals and Accomplishments -
1. Short term goal - Build upon my experience in Web Analytics and Digital Marketing and work as a Digital Marketing Strategist in companies such as Adobe, HP, IBM right after MBA. Business Analysis skills will come in handy for core marketing aspects such as Persuasive presentations, Stakeholder analysis, Business need vs Solution validation. Quantitative skills will help me perform the Analytics part effectively. Long term goal would be to become an expert advisor with strong focus on Marketing Analytics.
2. two major Accomplishments -
a.) Hosted critical business emergency meetings attended by CIO, VP's and Directors to present the Web traffic analysis during Hurricane Sandy for one of their biggest Campaigns (Email and Weather.com). Key business insights were generated based on the analysis, which proved beneficial for Digital marketing team to target customers selectively. I was successful to get a buy-in from business over investment in my recommended solutions. 3 months after implementation, showcased the benefits while comparing 'Before' and 'After' scenarios.
b.) Gained proficiency in Web Analytics in 5 months and trained 5 other Analysts to join the team and taught the nitty gritties of the domain. I can make a strong case here to prove my prowess in teaching, mentoring and leading a team. Although I didn't lead the team formally, I played a key role in being the face of the team to the client and managing the client requirements.
Criteria for choosing schools are -
1. Proximity to a city, where my wife will be able to work while I am studying.
2. Curriculum with Analytics and Economics being strong focus along with Marketing.
Please advise few schools where I have decent chances to get in. I am concerned about the tight timelines I've got to complete the application process as deadlines are approaching soon. In this regard, please advise which ones to target in R1 vs R2. I am looking to apply in 3-4 schools for Fall 2014. Your honest advise will be much appreciated.