Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 15:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT 760: Help regarding chances in schools

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.66
WE: Consulting (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 7

GMAT 760: Help regarding chances in schools [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2012, 03:16
Hello,

I am planning to apply kinda early to the business schools but was wondering if the schools I am targeting to are totally unrealistic at this stage.

(Indian, 23, Male)

Undergrad:Topmost private university in India
GPA:(9.1/10)
GMAT:760 (Q:50/V:41)

Not much leadership experience except for couple of juniors at workplace where I my role was more of a guide. Experience in college as Teaching Assistant.
Less extracurricular.

Experience: Aug 2010-Present Marketing consultancy. Before that I have 2 6-month internships in well-known (IT) MNCs.

Post MBA goal: Marketing, Management consulting, General Mangement in US.

Additionally, I have a sibling already working in US for the past 3 years. Would that help in any way?

I am aiming at the following colleges:
Dream: Stanford, Wharton, Kellogg
Achievable: Booth, Haas, Columbia, Tuck, Yale
Safety-net colleges: Stern, Fuqua, UCLA

Please let me know what my chances are according to you. I want to get into a BSchool this year and would prefer not to wait for another year. Thanks in advance.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 524 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT 760: Help regarding chances in schools [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2012, 08:02
Sibling in the US won't be relevant at all.

You're overestimating your candidacy a little bit. There's a lot of incredibly qualified people out there from around the world applying to these schools - and even they will have a tough time. I can understand why you may feel your candidacy is stronger than it really is -- your GMAT -- but keep in mind that the GMAT is rarely if ever an asset, and can only be a liability (a high score won't help your chances, but a low score can keep you out). So beyond a certain threshold (700-720), it comes down to everything else. You may have a pretty solid start to your career thus far, but again you're up against people who will have stronger resumes than you (more experience, experience outside of India, etc.).

Stretch: choose 1-2 from Kellogg, Booth, Columbia, Tuck, Sloan, Haas
Sweet spot: choose 3-4 from Ross, Duke, Darden, NYU, UCLA, Cornell, Yale
Safety: choose 1-2 from any school outside the top 16 (Georgetown, Tepper, Texas, UNC, USC, Emory, Maryland, Purdue, Indiana)

As you can see, it's not a huge adjustment from your original list, but a slight shift. Just keep in mind that none of the top 16 schools are safety schools for just about any candidate.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Re: GMAT 760: Help regarding chances in schools   [#permalink] 19 Mar 2012, 08:02