Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:51 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 598 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1207 [0]
Given Kudos: 114
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
Re: GMAT:760 - Meditations on a precocious MBA [#permalink]
Quote:
Much obliged.

What would be the minimum years of work experience for a competitive application in my case?

I would say that 2 years would be the absolute minimum for top schools. Even then it is a long shot, and you have to have AMAZING experience. I would spend all your time and energy getting a better job and making the rest of your application more robust.

Just remember, a 760 GMAT is not a pass into top schools. Its great, don't get me wrong, but it is one of many aspects of an application. Much of the rest of these aspects you do not (yet) have. Most importantly would be work experience. If you don't have a solid professional job, then it will definitely make it harder for you. Also, with no extracurriculars or leadership experience, you are in a tough spot. I find it hard to believe that you have NONE. But if you don't, I would recommend getting on this as SOON as possible, especially if you can gain some leadership experience in an EC role. BSchools don't just want people that can use big words, score 760s, and recite the first 20 digits of pi. They want people that will excel in the business world, and have shown a track record of leadership and achievement. A 760 along could really help get you into many lower tier schools (oustide the top 25) but once you get inside that range, the GMAT is really just a checkbox. Once they see that you are GPA and GMAT reach a certain threshold, they will move onto the rest of your application.

If you'd like to work in another field, maybe you can join an Extra Curricular (EC) that has something to do with your job path. Maybe you can gain some professional experience in that direction. Maybe you can start your own small side business.

Just remember, the average top school has a GMAT of 710-720, 4+ years of work experience, and many bells and whistles of college EC's, leadership positions, and strong companies they've worked for. You've got the GMAT down, and never have to worry about it again (atleast for 5 years) and at this point you should really be working on building the rest of your application. Harvard, Stanford, Wharton all reject many 760+ (and even 800s!) every year, and for the exact reason you are facing.

Good luck and let us know if we can help guide you in the right direction.
Send PM
I second what GMATLA said.

The sweet spot is around 3-6 years of full-time work experience after college. At most b-schools, you'll find that 80-90% of the incoming class will be in that range, and they will come from all kinds of backgrounds: finance, engineering, corporate, nonprofit, consulting, accounting, healthcare, life sciences, military, arts, etc.

Education and academics certainly is important at some level (although since you've been in school all your life, I can understand why you may feel that it's more important than it really is), but real world experience is far more important than anything else, especially once you've gotten your undergraduate degree. That's what separates the adults from the kids. As adults, it's far more about your experience than anything else.
Send PM
czl wrote:
I know that it is kind of early for me to supplicate for a profile evaluation considering that I have yet to earn my BA but I would like to know where I stand. Accordingly, I will keep it short. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Nationality:Turkish

Undergrad:Economics/Top university in Turkey
GPA:~3.30
GMAT:760 (Q:51/V:41)

Virtually no leadership experience.
Little bit of volunteer work.
Basically, extracurricular activities are not my strong suit.

I am considering to apply at fall of 2012 and by that time I will have 6 months of work experience. The reason why I am so impatient is that I will probably be underemployed and/or in a job that is inconsistent with my career goals.

Post MBA goal: Management consulting, preferably in US but Canada or Australia would do as well. Other than that, location does not matter.

Given my background, where could I expect to be accepted?

Here's a potential opportunity:

profile-evaluation-request-129221.html

There's another Turkish guy who just posted his profile. Contact him - he may have some job leads for you.
GMAT Club Bot