Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Aug 2014, 00:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT 770 Q50 V47

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT 770 Q50 V47 [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2007, 20:55
I believe this is my first time post, I have lurked here for a while but have never participated in any discussions.

Here is, among other things, a breakdown of my preps before the test, opinions of prep materials, and my day-of-test preps.

Me:

25 yrs old, Degree in Electrical Engineering, 3 years work experience at a startup company in San Diego. I do mostly R&D work, but interact a lot with customers and would like to broaden my horizons ( I enjoy lab work, but don't want to be stuck in a lab forever). I had a 1460 SAT score without seriously studying, but that was years ago and I knew that the GMAT would be a different animal.

Before test:

I started studying about 6 months before the test with Kaplan materials, but I found these to be quite easy. If you are shooting for 700+, stay away from Kaplan. I didn't have the test scheduled at this time, so I wasn't studying hardcore yet, I was mainly just reading some GMAT prep books while working out on an exercise bike. Kaplan 800 was okay, but still not top notch.

I then signed up for the Manhattan materials online- I bought the 6 practice tests, all the quant/verbal study material, and this helped tremendously. I only got through 4 of the practice tests, but these were a great help. Keep in mind that the Manhattan Quant stuff is MUCH harder than the actual GMAT... this is a good thing. I'm very impressed with the Manhattan stuff.

I studied 1-2 hrs every morning, for about a month. Also, my weekends were devoted to the GMAT. Don't burn yourself out, make sure you study in optimal mental conditions - and make sure you take the test in optimal mental conditions.

For the essay part, I had a "GMAT Answers" book which contained a bunch of essays. I only spent 30 minutes reading the thing, formulated some basic skeletons for essays in my head, and I'm certain I nailed the essays (will post the scores when I get them).

Day before test:
I took the dogs for two walks around the neighborhood, went to an art fair, watched a movie - basically mentally recharged. I did not do a single GMAT related thing. Went to bed early ~10pm, didn't get to sleep until 11.

Day of test:
I scheduled my test for 2:00 on a Monday. I took the day off from work.

Breakfast - 8:00 bit of salmon from frozen package, mixed vegetables, orange juice, black tea, did not stuff myself. Watched the news.
Snack - 10:30 Hard boiled egg, juice, chips and some guacamole that my wife made the night before. Read a magazine.
12:00 - Before I left the house, a little bit of chicken and some brocolli (microwaved)
12:45 - Arrived at test center, walked around, hit the bathroom, and went back to my car to listen to the radio.
1:15 - Drank some juice and ate a protein bar in the car
1:30 - Checked in, took the test, during each break I ate 1/2 protein bar and had 1/2 a container of juice (Odwalla)

Test: Sat down, immediately before the test I had some anxiety about completely bombing, but realized that I was the one in complete control of the test outcome and this calmed me.

Quant went well, I feel like I answered every question correctly, although that apparently was not the case. I didn't have to guess on any question, what I did get wrong must have been stupid mistakes. I finished the verbal section 30 minutes early, it was a breeze.

Finally, when I hit "next" and a 770 appeared on the screen, my first thought was "Damn, why not an 800?" Well, why not an 800? Because I got some questions wrong, that's why. Oh well.

Quant should have been easier for me, I have an engineering background and I do math all day, but circuits problems and differential equations are not the sorts of things that you find on the GMAT.

I'm going to have a cigar and look at the stars tonight, since I don't have to get up early to study!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Status: Post MBA, working in the area of Development Finance
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

[#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2007, 22:47
Congrats man!
It's really a great score. I am sure that you will get admitted to your dream school.
Regards.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Baruch / Zicklin
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 148

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2007, 07:31
Much respect! What schools are you planning on applying to?
- tsd
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2007, 09:16
TimeSquareDesi wrote:
Much respect! What schools are you planning on applying to?
- tsd

I am applying to local schools, University of San Diego (USD), UCSD, SDSU. I want to stay in the area since the startup company I work at is doing very well, and I love the San Diego area in general.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2007, 18:42
Why not 800? hahahahha... Why not?

Awesome score man.... Congratz
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2007, 19:27
Are you planning to try GMAT again? Ha ha haaa... haa

(I think the burnout is getting to me)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 64

Kudos [?]: 333 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2007, 12:26
impressive. I love the "why not an 800?" part. I was more "wow, how did I get that high of a score?"

Good work!
CEO
CEO
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 217 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2007, 13:15
nice. i used to major in EE until i realized the payoff was too low...
  [#permalink] 26 Sep 2007, 13:15