Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 13:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT 780 (Q51; V46)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [3] , given: 2

Reviews Badge
GMAT 780 (Q51; V46) [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2012, 20:25
This post received
KUDOS
Hey everyone,

Just thought I'd like to share my GMAT experience, as well as shill for a bit about the prep program I used. I say shill because I am clearly quite positive about the program, but I'd like to state that I'm not getting anything outta being so positive! I'm honestly just very impressed that it helped me score so well, as I wasn't expecting any more than about 740 as a hard upper limit. If any of this helps any of you guys out, it'd be fantastic.

Little bit about me:

Final year university student, American but studying overseas. Terribly rusty math AND English skills after so many years out of high school; as an Accounting/Finance major, you don't really practise the things which get tested on the GMAT. Hell, I'd even forgotten things like basic geometry, or how best to tackle Venn diagrams. So... I decided that I needed a little help.

Preparation:

After examining a few different GMAT prep program options, I eventually settled on GMAT Pill. Kaplan appears to be slightly poorer reviewed, and Manhattan's more expensive, so GMAT Pill it was.

Everything was pretty nicely laid out, and explained in a manner that was easy to grasp, and the always-available online video format made it easy to study whenever and wherever I wanted to, provided I had my phone or tablet with me. At home, on the subway, or even sitting by the pool. Don't underestimate the importance of a convenient studying resource that doesn't weigh several pounds; it'll make it much easier to keep studying consistently and allow you to take quick "study breaks" in between bouts of whatever it is you usually do.

I first started on the material about three to four weeks before my GMAT, and studied fairly inconsistently over the next few weeks. On the whole, I believe I put in about 10-20 hours of time fully concentrating on the material, and possibly another 10-20 or so leaving the videos running while I did other things that weren't overly taxing on my mental resources - television, video games, laundry, and such. It might not seem like a whole lot of time, but that's part of my point entirely; the program ran through things in such a simple way that it wasn't difficult to understand the concepts. So again... pretty impressed.

Exam experience:

Not sure yet how well I did on the AWA segment, but nobody really cares about that one, right? At any rate, it went passably. Was a little bit pressed for time because my mind wandered off for a bit during the Analysis Of An Issue section, but managed to finish my essay with less than a minute left on the clock.

When I got to the Quant segment, I immediately found that most of the questions seemed very familiar to me. Pretty much everything that the GMAT was testing had been gone through on the GMAT Pill videos; there were a couple of odd-looking questions (and I mean really odd), but I assumed that those were "experimental" questions and so didn't stress myself out too much about 'em. Finished up with about 25 minutes left on the clock.

Verbal segment seemed even more straightforward. Nothing strange-looking, and all of the questions were in a familiar format. Finished that segment with 40 (!) minutes left on the clock.

It might be of note that I made sure to take the breaks in between the segments, even though I didn't really feel like I needed them. During each break, I just sat on the chairs in the test centre, closed my eyes for a bit, and rested my brain. It might have helped or it might not, but I feel that a lot of people could benefit from taking these breaks; they give you time to, at the very least, "shift gears" from writing to quant and then from quant to verbal.

If I could go back and change anything that I did, it would be to tell myself to slow down a little. Time yourself well, and make sure that you're spending an appropriate amount of time on each question; I would advise taking maybe a minute and a half on the easier Quant questions, leaving you with a little more time for the tougher ones. Try to utilise your time well, so that you don't end up finishing as early as I did and then kicking yourself for not taking the time to be 99% sure that you didn't make any careless mistakes.

If anyone has any questions, I'd be glad to share more about my experiences :)

Hi, I'm MrFong, a former GMAT Pill student who scored 780. I am very grateful for this score and have now joined their staff :)

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Re: GMAT 780 (Q51; V46) [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2012, 20:30
Great score!!
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 10-15-2012

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT 780 (Q51; V46) [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2012, 21:11
which books you referred to. where to practice more Questions and which book has a high level of difficulot which come on gmat??
Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT 780 (Q51; V46) [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2012, 21:12
Congratulations!!!!
Amazing Score
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 2

Reviews Badge
Re: GMAT 780 (Q51; V46) [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2012, 21:21
StrangeWind wrote:
Great score!!

divyasabina wrote:
Congratulations!!!!
Amazing Score

Thank you :)

divyasabina wrote:
which books you referred to. where to practice more Questions and which book has a high level of difficulot which come on gmat??

I wouldn't advise practising on books which have a difficulty level higher than the actual test; there isn't really much of a point to that, or so I feel. I used the GMAT Pill questions, plus flipped through the Diagnostic Test at the start of the GMAT Official Guide.

If you feel like you really need a lot of practice, then if I were you, I would try to get my hands on the Official Guide. I was only using it for a short while so I just picked it up at my campus library, but if you want to do all of the questions you might want to buy it. It's not that expensive, and the questions are obviously very similar to the exact same thing you'll see on the GMAT.

Hi, I'm MrFong, a former GMAT Pill student who scored 780. I am very grateful for this score and have now joined their staff :)

Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton '15
WE: Sales (Internet and New Media)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 17

Re: GMAT 780 (Q51; V46) [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2012, 21:28
Congrats on an awesome score!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT 780 (Q51; V46) [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2012, 21:57
congrates
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT 780 (Q51; V46) [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2012, 03:52
congratulations..quite impressive given that you didn't take any practice exams.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kudos

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: IE '15 (M)
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT 780 (Q51; V46) [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2012, 04:22
Congrats...Great Score!
Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT 780 (Q51; V46) [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2012, 09:07
the reason i asked for more books cause i want to know where can i practice more questions, just started preparing for GMAT and want to to know how to solve the questions in one min duratio?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT 780 (Q51; V46) [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2012, 00:02
awesome score !
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 31 [1] , given: 26

Re: GMAT 780 (Q51; V46) [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2012, 04:39
This post received
KUDOS
No offences MrFong, but your debrief exudes a certain kind of fishy odour.

It might be just me, and congrats if you've got that score!

The chase begins ...

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 2

Reviews Badge
Re: GMAT 780 (Q51; V46) [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2012, 07:14
fiendex wrote:
congratulations..quite impressive given that you didn't take any practice exams.

I should clarify - I did take the 2 practice exams using the GMATPrep software available from the actual website. Scored a 740 on the first practice test, taken several days before the GMAT. I only did the Quant section on my 2nd practice test, because that was where I felt I needed more practice, and I didn't really have the time to go through the Verbal section as well.

divyasabina wrote:
the reason i asked for more books cause i want to know where can i practice more questions, just started preparing for GMAT and want to to know how to solve the questions in one min duratio?

Well, again, the Official Guide seems to have enough questions to keep you occupied for quite a while; if you can tackle all of their questions, I think you'll do just fine on the GMAT. If you really really reaaaaally want difficult questions, I do hear that Manhattan offers up a selection of more difficult questions. Not sure whether doing more difficult questions would actually be handy, though, for the same reason that doing college-level math may not help you score any better on a grade-school exam :)

vailad wrote:
No offences MrFong, but your debrief exudes a certain kind of fishy odour.

It might be just me, and congrats if you've got that score!

Heh. I did warn you that it'd be pretty clearly favourable towards GMATPill, if that's what you're getting at. I'm honestly not making anything off of this, though; again, I was just so thoroughly impressed that it could help me score higher than I thought possible that I felt that I needed to help spread the word. You could say that I've partaken of the Kool-Aid, I suppose.

I'm not sure how I could prove that I did score this score, but if it helps any, I couldn't really believe it either. There's definitely some amount of luck involved; have to be lucky enough not to get any of those questions that just happen to stump you, and you also have to not make any careless mistakes. I'm particular prone to the latter, so I was very relieved to find out that I didn't make any on the Quant section; during my practices, I'd found that careless mistakes were responsible for a hefty portion of my wrong answers, and so I took extra care to prevent making 'em during the real GMAT.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT 780 (Q51; V46) [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2012, 07:27
Great Score

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management
GMAT Date: 11-15-2011
GPA: 3.33
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 38

Re: GMAT 780 (Q51; V46) [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2012, 22:10
wowers
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2243

Kudos [?]: 8463 [0], given: 3648

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GMAT 780 (Q51; V46) [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2012, 22:25
Expert's post
Nicely done!

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2243

Kudos [?]: 8463 [0], given: 3648

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GMAT 780 (Q51; V46) [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2012, 10:43
Expert's post
Congratulations! Thank you for submitting a review.
Congratulations and interesting to see you got 80 points of improvement, so must have started at 700 - good for you! Good Luck!

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Affiliations: IIT Alumni Association, ISB Alumni Association
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 27

Re: GMAT 780 (Q51; V46) [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2012, 11:19
bb wrote:
Congratulations! Thank you for submitting a review.
Congratulations and interesting to see you got 80 points of improvement, so must have started at 700 - good for you! Good Luck!

Interesting - MrFong mentions in this thread that he took only 2 practice tests - according to him, he got 740 (not 700) on GMATPrep1 and only took the quant section of GMATPrep2.

A KUDO A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY

Introducing Best Debrief Writer & Contributor of the Month!: introducing-best-debrief-writer-contributor-of-the-month-127355.html
My GMAT debrief: gmat-760-50-q-42-v-satisfied-124675.html

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 21

Re: GMAT 780 (Q51; V46) [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2012, 13:32
Hmmm... Joined only to give Debrief and GMAT Pill review :-)

Joined date Jan 27 and debrief date of Jan 27

"leaving the videos running while I did other things that weren't overly taxing on my mental resources - television, video games, laundry, and such."

I dont know how TV and Video Game can go together with GMAT video.... laundry...hmm possible !!!

- Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts

http://gmatclub.com/forum/finally-gmat-is-over-730-49q-41v-130632.html

Intern
Intern
WE: Marketing (Other)

Re: GMAT 780 (Q51; V46) [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2012, 13:02
No offense MrFong but it sounds too good to be true. Less than a minute for verbal section, no material other than GMATPills and minimal number of exams - I hope you are not practicing your writing skills here and are really telling a real story. It certainly makes a good advertisement for GmatPills!
Re: GMAT 780 (Q51; V46)   [#permalink] 02 Feb 2012, 13:02