Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Aug 2014, 21:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT: A disappointing 510

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT: A disappointing 510 [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2003, 11:10
Hi Guys,

I took GMAT this past weekend. Got 510(Q40, V21). As you can see, I was let down by verbal. :-( The worst part is that I thought that I was doing well on the verbal but was shocked to see the final score. Since I don't have the breakup of verbal section, I can only guess that I got the RC and CR answers wrong.

The verbal started with first 6 SC's. then a couple of CR's and then two back to back RC's. In total 4 CR's.

I really need some advice as to what I can do to improve my verbal score. I have done all of OG and Kaplan and remember answers to all the questions. So, I need to study from some other source.

In all, I had taken 10 practice tests before the real GMAT and had scored in the range of 540-710. I got 650 and 710 on the two PP's, since I had done the OG thoroughly.

Any help on improving my verbal score would be much appreciated. I plan to re-take the GMAT in 4-5 weeks time.

thanks,
Sumit
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2003, 11:28
Hi Sumit,

I can understand what you're through cause this has happened with me twice.I have been doing very well on the practice tests,was getting very high scores on PP and b/w 650-700 or other tests,690 in each on the paper tests I took.But on the real tests, even though I feel I'm doing very well, I was getting a lot of tough questions and I was getting the right answers, so I don't know what goes wrong!!!!!!!! :x

if anyone else has gone through this and has been able to improve the scores, please let me know.

I was thinking of taking the kaplan course to improve my strategies.I wonder if it's worth the money???

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2003, 20:55
Hi...

From my experience with the GMAT verbal section, I'd say the OG has the best set of questions and seem very much like those on the actual GMAT, except the actual GMAT throws SC's and CR's much longer than in the OG.

I'd advise you to do the OG verbal AGAIN and this time, pay serious attention to the explanantion of answers at the end. Not only will the correct answer and logic behind the answer become clear but you'll also know how and why to remove the wrong choices.

Why I think the OG is important is because it's the only book that is consistent with the logic that the GMAT tests, other material such as Kaplans etc. aren't even close to testing this logic. Also, it might help to practice speed reading, i.e the speed with which you are comfortable, scanning through a paragraph and retaining information etc. This'll help you save time on reading the RC, CR paragraphs etc. and you can utilise this time on concentrating on the answer choices.

Having said all this, I better go and practice some verbal myself, I'd hate all this good advice to go to waste :lol:

Get with the program!

[#permalink] 25 Aug 2003, 20:55