Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Nov 2014, 10:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT- A month left.... need some advise

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT- A month left.... need some advise [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2011, 05:24
Hello all

I think this might be the right place to get some advise regarding my strategy for the final push. I have finshed the MGMAT SC, CR and Quant books and am currently in thr process of solving the OG problems. I have written 3 CAT till now and the scores were very very average. I am eyeing a 700 on the GMAT but the scores that I am getting in my CAT are not suggestive of achieving a 700 on the D-Day.
Following are my scores for the 3 CAT that I have written till date:

MGMAT (Free test): 530 (Q:37 & V:27)
MGMAT (Test 1): 620 (Q:42 & V:33)
GMATPrep (Test 1): 650

I desperately want to break the 700 barrier in my practie tests so that I gain a bit of selfconfidence which is at an all time low at the moment. I sincerly need some good advise through which I can fully utilise the one month that I have at hand. I try to do a 2 to 3 hour stint on the weekdays and 5 to 6 hour stint on a weekend.

One thing that I have noticed with my Quant is that I easily get the questions in the OG but some questions on the MGMAT test were a bit difficult for me. I am currently not sure which one should I trust the OG or the MGMAT tests.

I would really appreciate any help that guides me a bit. People having the same experience please write too as it would help me a lot.

Thanks a looking forward to hear from you guys.
Vikram :-D :-D
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 39

Re: GMAT- A month left.... need some advise [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2011, 06:37
vikram: How are you reviewing your CATs and your practice problems? I think the fastest way to improve is to keep an error log (search the forums for some examples) of problems you get wrong/take too long to solve. Figure out if there's a pattern in the types of mistakes you make and focus your practice there. Then redo those problems periodically to ensure that you've mastered those concepts.

Trust the OG, I think the MGMAT questions may be a little more challenging than the real GMAT, but not by a wide margin. Are you finishing Quant in 75 minutes and making mistakes? Or are you having trouble finishing?

My GMAT Experience: http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-debrief-770-q50-v47-115912.html

Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT- A month left.... need some advise [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2011, 06:48
Hi..

Thanks for the reply. Well to be honest enough I am facing some problems in finishing my quant in the alloted time. In my first CAT I lost track of time. But I have always seen that the last 5 to 6 questions are wild guesses due to less time. I try to limit my self to 2 mins per question but am not always successful at that. What should be done to improve the timing. I am revising the quant concepts every third day and make notes from the problems that I get wrong but somehow it does not seem to function.

An error log would be a good idea but I guess due to the less time that I have at hand I might not be able to utilise it that fruitfully.

What would you suggest to improve my timing_
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 61 [1] , given: 39

Re: GMAT- A month left.... need some advise [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2011, 07:05
This post received
KUDOS
Figure out the questions you're spending way too much time on (over 4 minutes). Determine whether you're slow there because they take a long time to do, or the concepts aren't clear. If the concepts aren't clear, review them so that if you see a similar problem you can quickly decide what approach to take.

Once you've narrowed down the time-problematic questions to the ones that you simply can't do fast enough, I would recognize what they look like and plan on test day to quickly guess them and move on. You're hurting yourself by spending 4+ minutes on a question even if you get it right.

Read this post: http://www.manhattangmat.com/blog/index.php/2011/06/21/everything-you-need-to-know-about-time-management

My GMAT Experience: http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-debrief-770-q50-v47-115912.html

Last edited by gmatkoopa on 25 Jun 2011, 07:50, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 3

Re: GMAT- A month left.... need some advise [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2011, 07:35
Try taking your tests un-timed. Make sure it is truly timing that is throwing you off. If you are still unable to get 90% of the questions right then you need to work on the concepts first before trying to improve your timing. Keep in mind MGMAT quant section tends to be a bit more difficult than the real thing. In my personal opinion the Verbal is a bit harder on the real thing when compared to MGMAT.
Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT- A month left.... need some advise [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2011, 14:30
microair wrote:
Try taking your tests un-timed. Make sure it is truly timing that is throwing you off. If you are still unable to get 90% of the questions right then you need to work on the concepts first before trying to improve your timing. Keep in mind MGMAT quant section tends to be a bit more difficult than the real thing. In my personal opinion the Verbal is a bit harder on the real thing when compared to MGMAT.

Hi Microair
Thanks for your advise!
I took the MGMAT test untimed and saw some improvement in my quant score. My score is as follows:
Q: 47
V: 33
I think the verbal did not improve that much but I surely showed some improvement in my Q score.
I hope that my basics are clear in Math and I somehow have to improve my timing. What do you think ? Any suggestions?
Current Student

Re: GMAT- A month left.... need some advise [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2011, 14:40
Further identify what is slowing you down (are you checking your work over and over? are you taking a while to figure out what the question is asking? is there a specific type of question that you take a long time to answer?). I agree that a Q47 untimed shows that you have solid enough fundamentals to get 700, but to improve you need to find some areas to speed up.

V33 means there are still gaps in your understanding. Is it over all 3 question types, or are any of SC, RC, or CR solid?

Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT- A month left.... need some advise [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2011, 14:54
gmatkoopa wrote:
Further identify what is slowing you down (are you checking your work over and over? are you taking a while to figure out what the question is asking? is there a specific type of question that you take a long time to answer?). I agree that a Q47 untimed shows that you have solid enough fundamentals to get 700, but to improve you need to find some areas to speed up.

V33 means there are still gaps in your understanding. Is it over all 3 question types, or are any of SC, RC, or CR solid?

Hi
I some time do tend to read the question more than once and I guess that is bringing me down.

As far as the verbal is concerned the mistakes are genrally spread over the 3 areas but sometimes I mess up the RC.

I am writing my GMAT on the 24 of July and am still not able to achieve the 700 mark.

Guess more needs to be done but have no clue how? :?: :?: :?:
Current Student

Re: GMAT- A month left.... need some advise [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2011, 15:01
Once you identify your weaknesses, all you have to do/can do is practice, practice, practice...

Re: GMAT- A month left.... need some advise   [#permalink] 27 Jun 2011, 15:01