Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 22:12 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 22:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
if I were an officer, i'd think according to plan b.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 154 [0]
Send PM
Re: GMAT Advice Appreciated [#permalink]
Well, maybe the adcome doesn't need to know that you have taken it more than 3 times. The report that goes to them only shows the most recent 3.

Just take some time out for a few days to re-energize and get back into it...confidence is key.

NemoGDL2345 wrote:
Reading through the many posts of GMAT victory, I am disappointed that I am not one of them.

I am seeking advice on what others would do in my situation.

I have taken the GMAT 4X each time scoring in the low 600 (~620). Needless to say, I am exhausted, frustrated, and discouraged. I dont want to ruin my chances further by continuing to take the exam therefore supplying Admission Committees with a long list of similar below-average score. Yet, a 620 isn't strong enough to get me into the schools I want.

I dont mind paying the $250 to take it again so that isn't a factor.

I have taken this 4X over the pass one year. What are you guys thinking? How would you continue?

Curious to know what an admissions officer would think as well:
a) This kid is retarded - no way
b) I admire his diligence and effort - that is a plus even though his score is lower than our average

What are you guys thinking? How would you continue?

Thanks.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 198 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Sorry to hear abt ur exp. I won't retake the test unless u r 100% sure that u can increase ur score by atleast 30-40 points. Getting a lower score will be worse. Altho score report shows only last 3 scores, all schools require u to tell how many times u have taken GMAT in last 5 yrs and u shudn't lie there. Just by taking GMAT 4-5 times doesn't show the adcom ur perseverence. Read some threads in BW, many schools discourage ppl taking tests more than 3 times. 620 is a fine score, I wud recommend u rather spend time on ur app pkg and make that strong. Good luck !
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I've heard mixed oppinions on that, and none of them talks about diligence.
It all depends on Admissions Director.
I can tell you for sure that at UCLA you will hear a). If you take the test more than two times they will think that you are trying to "cheat" the GMAT.
I've heard also that some schools will go as far as telling you off the record "just get the score that we want, forget about the number of attempts".

If you have aspirations for Harvard, no score will give you an edge .
If you've done something astonishing in your life - you are in, if you are just an average applicant - you are out.
GMAT only assures the school in your academic aptitude. It will not get you admitted.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 130 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
You have mentioned that if you are just an average applicant, does that mean basically you won't have a chance to get into any MBA programs? Or are you just referring to the top MBA programs such as Harvard, Stanford, etc. Does this mean that average applicants will have slim to none chance?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I am facing a similiar dilemma. The harder I try, the more the law of diminishing returns takes effect. Undoubtedly, Harvard is the apotheosis of a superior b-school, but then again it seems to accept people of truly exceptional talent and accomplishment. I have a friend who scored a 740 on his first attempt and even paid big money to one of those application services only to be rejected by HBS.

I think you have a very good score that would better serve you at a slightly lower than "super-elite" institution. Not only would you fit in better, but you would probably qualify for a partial/full scholarship and wouldn`t have to compete with those super neurotic "A types". Besides, most top 30 b-schools offer a good 5 year return on investment, regardless of where you studied.

Finally, IMHO it`s how you apply what you learn in b-school that will make the biggest difference over the rest of your career, rather than the name.

Your GMAT is fine, focus on the other aspects of your application and apply to a few appropriate safe schools with one or two dream schools.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
NemoGDL2345,

What about taking a break, and when I say a break, is a long one.

You are frustrated right now, and this is normal...

Take a few months off from the GMAT. You might want to think about it again but without your actual frustration. This is only an exam. In fact ,life goes on... After a while, you will have to find out what are your weaknesses.

It took me few months to understand my weaknesses.

The first time that I did the GMAT, I thought that I mastered the exam content, but in fact I never mastered the core content of the verbal section. I guessed on a lot of verbal questions. I never remembered the basics. Plus, I am no a native english speaker, the fact that ETS was mixing SC, CR and RC was very stressfull to me.

The second time that I did GMAT, I mastered the basics, but I managed very badly my time. I remembered spending 10 minutes on a long counting numbers. The problem wasn't hard. Also, I remembered passing another 15 minutes reading a simple RC passage.

Just take a break, you will definetly come back stronger...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 130 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
GMATT73 wrote:
I am facing a similiar dilemma. The harder I try, the more the law of diminishing returns takes effect. Undoubtedly, Harvard is the apotheosis of a superior b-school, but then again it seems to accept people of truly exceptional talent and accomplishment. I have a friend who scored a 740 on his first attempt and even paid big money to one of those application services only to be rejected by HBS.

I think you have a very good score that would better serve you at a slightly lower than "super-elite" institution. Not only would you fit in better, but you would probably qualify for a partial/full scholarship and wouldn`t have to compete with those super neurotic "A types". Besides, most top 30 b-schools offer a good 5 year return on investment, regardless of where you studied.

Finally, IMHO it`s how you apply what you learn in b-school that will make the biggest difference over the rest of your career, rather than the name.

Your GMAT is fine, focus on the other aspects of your application and apply to a few appropriate safe schools with one or two dream schools.

From what you have mentiond earlier that the top 30 schools will offer a good 5 year return on investment, does that mean that all the schools below the top 30 is just a waste of money? Or do you mean that it would just take longer to get the return of investment? Do you think the top 30 schools is a good return on investment even for younger applicants with lack of work experience (I am thinking in terms that after graduating from an MBA, younger applicants would still not be as experience as the older ones).
From the rankings of businessweek, usnews, etc, it only ranks schools from 1-50. Those schools that are ranked before 50 (we dont know which ones since it's never posted), in your opinion, do you think they are a waste of time applying?
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37300 posts