Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 20:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT advice much appreciated

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS class of 2011
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 34 [1] , given: 2

GMAT advice much appreciated [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2008, 07:49
This post received
KUDOS
Guys, can you please advise me openly what are the potential risks/disadvantages if I retake GMAT (this would be 3rd attempt) and score worse than my best attempt so far?

Points to consider:
- my best result to date (2nd attempt) is 700 (90%): Q50 (94%) and V34 (69%). AWA 6.0
- my 1st attempt was 640: Q48 and V30. AWA 6.0
- I'm very happy with Q50 (high-end for me; normally scoring 47-49)
- I'm unhappy with V34 (practice tests indicated 38-40)
- I'm worried with Verbal 69% (way below 80/80 rule) and that's why I'd like to retake GMAT
- Reasonably speaking I think I can improve my Verbal by 3-5 points
- Reasonably speaking I should expect lower (than 50) Quant (around 48)
- I'm not a native speaker (I'm from Eastern Europe), so this offsets (a little bit) lower Verbal
- I'm targetting H/S/W/Tuck/Kellogg/Insead/LBS
- I'm ok to take GMAT for the 3rd time.

Is there any potential risk I don't see? If - in worst case scenario - I score lower than so far (on both Quant and Verbal) will it impact negatively my application? I'm assuming that schools will take my best score, so there is no any risk associated with 3rd attempt - am I right or wrong?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 440 [1] , given: 32

Re: GMAT advice much appreciated [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2008, 05:14
This post received
KUDOS
While schools openly state that they only get concerned when someone has taken the GMAT more than 3 times, another thing they consider, even when it's taken just 2 or 3 times is what motivate the person to keep taking it? It makes sense if someone scored low to mid 600s and then they retake it and get 700 or higher. If you take it again, when you already have a 700, what will the adcoms think? Even if you score 710 -730 and increase it 30 points? You mention the 80/80 rule. This is NOT a rule. this is a guide that adcoms use and in no way is it a rule. If this were a rule, no one with below the 80/80 split would be admitted and the GMAT score averages would be insanely high. The consenus is that once you achieve a 700 or higher, the focus of admissions committees is on the essays and how the candidate presents himself. You are better served by focusing on your essays rather than studying for GMAT again. Most schools look at the quant section before the verbal section. You have a 50Q score which is great! The adcoms will not doubt your ability to handle the finance and math required by the school. As for your verbal. You will have both the verbal score (which is still good) and your TOEFL score since you're a non-native speaker. Both of these scores will show the adcoms that you will have no difficulty communicating with classmates in English. My advice is spend the GMAT fee on applying to your schools and do not take the GMAT again.

garbus222 wrote:
Guys, can you please advise me openly what are the potential risks/disadvantages if I retake GMAT (this would be 3rd attempt) and score worse than my best attempt so far?

Points to consider:
- my best result to date (2nd attempt) is 700 (90%): Q50 (94%) and V34 (69%). AWA 6.0
- my 1st attempt was 640: Q48 and V30. AWA 6.0
- I'm very happy with Q50 (high-end for me; normally scoring 47-49)
- I'm unhappy with V34 (practice tests indicated 38-40)
- I'm worried with Verbal 69% (way below 80/80 rule) and that's why I'd like to retake GMAT
- Reasonably speaking I think I can improve my Verbal by 3-5 points
- Reasonably speaking I should expect lower (than 50) Quant (around 48)
- I'm not a native speaker (I'm from Eastern Europe), so this offsets (a little bit) lower Verbal
- I'm targetting H/S/W/Tuck/Kellogg/Insead/LBS
- I'm ok to take GMAT for the 3rd time.

Is there any potential risk I don't see? If - in worst case scenario - I score lower than so far (on both Quant and Verbal) will it impact negatively my application? I'm assuming that schools will take my best score, so there is no any risk associated with 3rd attempt - am I right or wrong?

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 1

Re: GMAT advice much appreciated [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2008, 06:29
This post received
KUDOS
Yes, I agree with Jallenmorris. Unless you are sure that you are going to increase your score to 750+ I see no point in reappearing. That time is worth spending writing a good essay which bschools give more importance to judge a candidate's credentials towards admission. If you are sure that you are going to keep 50+ in quant and 44+ in verbal then go ahead and give it again. But for 80/80 split, appearing again for GMAT may not be of much help. But if you think your satisfaction in the test as a top priority and you were not satisfied with your score last time then you can appear for the test again just to stop regretting in future.

Nobody dies a virgin, life screws us all.

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 0

Re: GMAT advice much appreciated [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2008, 11:22
This post received
KUDOS
In my opinion, I think 700 is well within a good range for the schools that you're applying to. Unless you strongly believe that you can get a 750 or above, I wouldn't take it. Taking the GMAT for a third time is somewhat questionable. Pearson states that a retake can increase up 20-30 points, statistically. But I think it diminishes after that.
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS class of 2011
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 2

Re: GMAT advice much appreciated [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2008, 13:09
Thanks a lot for reply, time and advice! Now, some time after I posted the question, I totally agree with you. I might not be totally happy with my score, but 20-30 points won't make the difference (and for sure won't offset the reduced quality of essays b/c of less time I'd spend on them). I emailed also few admissions offices and majority of them confirmed what you wrote. 700 is "within the range" and even though the score is "unbalanced" they have other ways to verify verbal skills (TOEFL, essays, interview).

Thanks again for your posts!
Re: GMAT advice much appreciated   [#permalink] 12 Aug 2008, 13:09