Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 23:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

gmat advice sought - 3 weeks left

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

gmat advice sought - 3 weeks left [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2011, 00:13
Hello everyone,

I am sorry to post this as I know , someone somewhere might have gone gone through the same thing.
I have three weeks left to take the gmat exam for the second time. Target score 600.
I took the real GMAT last month (April 16) score: 440 V20 Q31
----here is my story----
For the past 2.5 months, I studied 2-3 hours/ pay ( 8-10pm or 9-12 pm) No study on weekends.
Books used:
-Kaplan Math workbook (To brush up my rusty math skills)
-Kaplan GMAT premier (not used a lot)
-Manhattan SC (helped me a lot on SC)
-Powerscore CR ( could not finish the book - read until page 138 i think)
-OG 12th (used extensively for AWA and Quantitative)
-OG Verbal review (not used a lot)
-OG quantitative review ( used extensively)

Regarding the practice test:
May 2 GMATPrep 2
380 Q24 V19

May 11 GMATPrep 1
360 Q19 V20

May 22 GMATPrep2
430 Q31 V19

June 2 MGMAT2
540 Q35 V30

June 8 GMATPrep 1
510 Q38 V23

June 9 MGMAT 3
510 Q32 V28

June 10 MGMAT 4
530 Q37 V27

June 11 GMATPrep2
350 Q25 V15

June 12 GMATPrep1
520 Q39 V22

June 15 (0ne day before d day) GMATPrep 2
560 Q37 V29
========================
As I have three weeks left or 108 hours of available time before I take the next exam, what could be your suggestions?
Week Jun 27 -July 3 ( 20 hours) / Week Jul 4 - July 10 (48 hours) / Week July 11-16 (40 hours).

My weakness: CR, RC & DS
Could you please help me out with a strategy? Could you also recommend an online class (if worth it) that may help during these 3 weeks?
I wanted to hire a private tutor but could not find any available during this 3 weeks.
I need 600 to get admitted. Impossible or possible, I must achieve this ...Please help!!!

want to "eat" the gmat,
ceo1000
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Followers: 56

Kudos [?]: 476 [0], given: 157

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: gmat advice sought - 3 weeks left [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2011, 01:01
Hi ceo1000, welcome to gmat club!

I must say that there are two options. First to take the test on your test day and second to postpone your test. I would go for the second option. After study of reasonable material and almost three months time, you unfortunately has not crossed 560. So I think you should revisit your study methodology. Once you start getting 590-630 in gmat prep and MGMAT CATs, then you can go for a real GMAT test.

You may also continue on your plan for the test in July, but then you would have to work really hard in Verbal & Q sections.

[ From 470 to 680-My Story ] [ My Last Month Before Test ]
[ GMAT Prep Analysis Tool ] [ US. Business School Dashboard ] [ Int. Business School Dashboard ]

I Can, I Will

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: gmat advice sought - 3 weeks left [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2011, 03:40
Thanks Hussain15 for your input. really appreciated.
I am in a "do or die " situation. I cannot postpone my exam (final round).I believe if I can raise my score in Verbal, that will help a lot.
You are right. I need a proper methodology. I need help in drafting a plan for the next 3 weeks. Is there any online course that may help me ?

thanks,
ceo1000
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Followers: 56

Kudos [?]: 476 [0], given: 157

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: gmat advice sought - 3 weeks left [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2011, 03:48
Actually, there are certain courses like Knewton & gmat pill that offer a 50 point money back guarantee. But, again I dont think those will be available for such a short period of time.

But never give up hope, you can make it provided you allocate your time wisely. Why dont you try some new CATs like of 800 score.com. Take a CAT after every 2 or 3 days and go through the explanation of every question in detail

Best of luck & keep us posted.

[ From 470 to 680-My Story ] [ My Last Month Before Test ]
[ GMAT Prep Analysis Tool ] [ US. Business School Dashboard ] [ Int. Business School Dashboard ]

I Can, I Will

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: gmat advice sought - 3 weeks left [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2011, 11:37
I only have 2 suggestions and they are not very technical, but I hope they help.

Quant: Just do as many of the OG questions as you possibly can, starting at the beginning. You need to make sure you get the early questions on the test right (i.e. the easy ones) to ensure your score goes above the desired level. Practice makes perfect. I know people that are not particularly gifted at math, but have earned perfect scores just by practicing - A LOT.

Verbal: Try reading as much as you can, but read deliberately. Find well written articles, and try to maintain your attention throughout the entire article, so that you could summarize the structure of the article to someone if they were to ask you. Again, this is a matter of practice, so do it a lot.

Best of luck.
Intern
Intern

Re: gmat advice sought - 3 weeks left [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2011, 22:17
thanks guys for your input. from what I read, I think I have no other choice but to organize myself and study alone with the materials I have. Great challenge :) will keep you posted!

I will 'eat' the gmat,
ceo1000
Intern
Intern

Re: gmat advice sought - 3 weeks left [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2011, 23:47
Hi!

I take classes using online e.g. Skype. Math is my core strength area and I have excelled in this subject in the past especially in statistics, probability, calculus e.g. differential equations, Integration etc. I can provide college level Mathematics help in subjects like pre algebra, statistics, Algebra, Trigonometry, Calculus, thinking and Logical Reasoning skills to students and adults at all levels. I am pretty adept in online algebra sessions.

My approach respects the student's personality and capabilities while challenging their thinking and perceptions. Subjects: Pre calculus, Calculus, Mathematics, Pre algebra, Algebra, Trigonometry, Statistics. I have completed my MBA and PHD in mathematics. I charge USD 25 per hour payable thru' PAYPAL. I have been tutoring now for the last 5 years.

my skype id - mankvs
You may contact me on mnjkr123 at hotmail dot com

Regards,

mnjkr
Re: gmat advice sought - 3 weeks left   [#permalink] 24 Jun 2011, 23:47