Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 12:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT after admit

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Status: Post MBA, working in the area of Development Finance
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

GMAT after admit [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2008, 22:05
I had read about retake of GMAT after admission and was wondering about a retake of GMAT. I had taken the GMAT in Nov 07 and had scored 690 (Q47, V38). The score was much below what I had expected or what I was getting on the GMAT prep. I had decided then to go ahead with the application as the first round of application was already over and I didn't have time to wait for the retake.
I was looking for a one year programme because of my age, experience and, what I had thought to be, the lack of worth to make it to the UEs. I had applied to Oxford, Cambridge, and Cranfield. My first choice was Oxford because of its emphasis on social entrepreneurship and the presence of Skoll Centre.

I have got admissions from Oxford and Cranfield while I have been dinged by Cambridge.

I don't want a career in the IB, PE, VC or consultancy, where I understand, GMAT score is looked at at the time of recruitment. If I am seeking a career in the development finance (work with the development agencies in the short term and eventually be a social entrepreneur in the area where I have experience of more than a decade), and have some time to study, should I retake the GMAT? Will the higher score be of any help, apart from just proving to myself that I could have done better in my first attempt at the GMAT?

Please share your thoughts. GMAT Club has been of great help in my endeavour and I thankfully acknowledge the benefit derived from the contribution made by the experts here. Undoubtedly, this is the best of all the fora that are trying to help the MBA hopefuls.

So, I look forward to hearing from you all.

Best regards.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT after admit [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2008, 00:27
Given your post-MBA goals, I do not think you should waste your time and money retaking the GMAT.
SVP
SVP
Schools: The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT after admit [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2008, 06:54
heck no!

no one in the nonprofit/social entrepreneurship sector cares two rips about gmat...i would guess a good number don't even know what it is. Grades and specific coursework don't matter much either.

as long as you're sure you're not into those industries where they care, save yourself the $250 and find a better way to spend your time!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT after admit [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2008, 10:02
Guys, and what do you think about 700 (Q48; V39, AWA 5.5) and career in MC? I improved my English significantly since last year and sure that can get closer to 730-740 by raising mostly verbal score. From the other point of view, range of scores of consulting people starts from 700 and time could be better spent for doing listening comprehension of different American accents to understand classmates almost as a native speaker (which is an issue for many international students) and advance in additional language.
SVP
SVP
Schools: The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT after admit [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2008, 12:33
agh, who knows? You've hit 700, so there's that benchmark. The GMAT just sucks so much, I wouldn't do it again unless you paid me.

I know that MC recruiters pay attention to your score, but I don't know how much they care about the difference between a 700 and a 750.

I do know that int'l students sometimes have trouble in class, in social environments, and in recruiting due to comprehension issues. They probably even have an unfair burden of proof during recruiting season, so language work might be a good idea. I would say that a higher GMAT score MAY help you in one specific area of your life - recruiting for MC/IB. Better language skills, of course, return premanent dividends in every situation.

You might consider calling your future career services office. This is probably a good time to do so - they bulk of recruiting is over, so they've probably got more time now than the rest of the year.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT after admit [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2008, 15:02
Anybody else have a take on retaking GMAT to hit a higher score for future MC recruiting purposes?

aaudetat wrote:
agh, who knows? You've hit 700, so there's that benchmark. The GMAT just sucks so much, I wouldn't do it again unless you paid me.

I know that MC recruiters pay attention to your score, but I don't know how much they care about the difference between a 700 and a 750.

I do know that int'l students sometimes have trouble in class, in social environments, and in recruiting due to comprehension issues. They probably even have an unfair burden of proof during recruiting season, so language work might be a good idea. I would say that a higher GMAT score MAY help you in one specific area of your life - recruiting for MC/IB. Better language skills, of course, return premanent dividends in every situation.

You might consider calling your future career services office. This is probably a good time to do so - they bulk of recruiting is over, so they've probably got more time now than the rest of the year.
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT after admit [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2008, 20:42
holdengk wrote:
Anybody else have a take on retaking GMAT to hit a higher score for future MC recruiting purposes?

I am 730 and happy with it.
Manager
Manager
Status: Post MBA, working in the area of Development Finance
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: GMAT after admit [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2008, 05:23
Thanks helg and aaudetat for your comments and advices.
I will catch up with other things in my life for the time being.
Re: GMAT after admit   [#permalink] 31 Mar 2008, 05:23