Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 10 Jul 2014, 13:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT and energy drinks

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Schools: top schools
WE 1: Foreign Ministry - 6 years
WE 2: Law Firm - 3 years
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
GMAT and energy drinks [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2010, 00:09
Guys,

Sorry if the below is a repetition of any opinion already posted in this forum. I navigated through the site, but did not find any relevant threads with the experience similar to mine.

Inspired by some posts on this forum, I decided to use redbull to improve performance during the actual GMAT. Notice that before I drank redbull very very rarely, once a year at most and in small portions.

However, having less than one can of the drink during each of the two breaks brought an absolutely opposite effect. I felt as if I returned home in the morning after an alcohol party (heart was pumping and brain was not working well). Of course, I cannot blaim redbull alone for my underperformance, but the fact is that this energy drink may have different effects on various people.

So, if you plan to use an energy drink, try it during your simulation test to avoid any inconvenience during the actual test.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 740 Q45 V47
GPA: 3.53
WE: Law (Law)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 16 [1] , given: 3

Reviews Badge
Re: GMAT and energy drinks [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2010, 07:33
This post received
KUDOS
I'm personally a big advocate of repetition before big tests. By this I mean that for a period of time (say, a week) before the test, do the exact same thing every day that you plan to do on test day. So, for example, if you have a 9:00am test time, make sure that you eat and drink (whatever is a normal breakfast for you) before that time and be sitting at a desk somewhere ready to exercise your brain (e.g., start doing practice problems or a practice CAT) right at 9:00. Your body gets into rhythms, so by getting into a routine in advance of test day, you ensure that no unknown variable will taint your performance.

This is especially true when it comes to coffee and/or energy drinks. I used to do the same thing before big exams: buy a red bull to drink half way through. That is a fine strategy if you are used to it. For someone that does not normally drink coffee or red bull, these drinks will just make you jittery and make your mind race or jump around more than you're used to. So, my advice is, if you start every day with a strong cup of coffee, do the same on test day. If not, don't. If you use red bull (or 5 hour energy) to reinvigorate yourself fairly often, then it will probably be beneficial on test day. If it's not part of your normal diet, don't switch it up on game day.

In short, test day is not the time to experiment.
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: GMAT and energy drinks [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2010, 00:52
i even tried to eat the same items during mock tests :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Amar
http://amarnaik.wordpress.com

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: IIT Madras
WE 1: 2+ years - Programming
WE 2: 3+ years - Product developement,
WE 3: 2+ years - Program management
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 138 [0], given: 104

Re: GMAT and energy drinks [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2010, 01:09
thank you guys! i will not drink any such drinks during the test. i will eat a chocolate, drink water or gatorade and wash my face during the breaks.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT and energy drinks [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2010, 05:16
Good advice, I wouldn't do anything too out of the ordinary before the test. I took a 5 hour energy before my last 2 CATs and my score was a lot higher than ever before. I haven't taken a CAT in over a month before those so I don't know if the energy helped at all. Either way I am going to be sure to drink one before my actual test next week.
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 193 [0], given: 52

Re: GMAT and energy drinks [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2010, 05:32
5 hour energy is the bomb - its one shot for 5 hours and no crash.

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

Retired Moderator
Followers: 102

Kudos [?]: 199 [0], given: 33

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT and energy drinks [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2010, 06:18
In India from where we can get energy drinks like redbull? I doubt whether I have ever seen this in India or not. May be I'm living in remote area that's the reason :(

RC videos rc-through-videos-99566.html
CR videos cr-through-videos-99033.html
SC videos sc-through-videos-98340.html
Quant videos quant-through-videos-102525.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Schools: top schools
WE 1: Foreign Ministry - 6 years
WE 2: Law Firm - 3 years

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT and energy drinks [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2010, 07:59
madammepsychosis wrote:
I'm personally a big advocate of repetition before big tests. By this I mean that for a period of time (say, a week) before the test, do the exact same thing every day that you plan to do on test day ... So, my advice is, if you start every day with a strong cup of coffee, do the same on test day. If not, don't. .

This post makes sense --- absolutely agree with it.
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 213 [0], given: 111

Re: GMAT and energy drinks [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2010, 08:07
madammepsychosis wrote:
I'm personally a big advocate of repetition before big tests. By this I mean that for a period of time (say, a week) before the test, do the exact same thing every day that you plan to do on test day. So, for example, if you have a 9:00am test time, make sure that you eat and drink (whatever is a normal breakfast for you) before that time and be sitting at a desk somewhere ready to exercise your brain (e.g., start doing practice problems or a practice CAT) right at 9:00. Your body gets into rhythms, so by getting into a routine in advance of test day, you ensure that no unknown variable will taint your performance.

This is especially true when it comes to coffee and/or energy drinks. I used to do the same thing before big exams: buy a red bull to drink half way through. That is a fine strategy if you are used to it. For someone that does not normally drink coffee or red bull, these drinks will just make you jittery and make your mind race or jump around more than you're used to. So, my advice is, if you start every day with a strong cup of coffee, do the same on test day. If not, don't. If you use red bull (or 5 hour energy) to reinvigorate yourself fairly often, then it will probably be beneficial on test day. If it's not part of your normal diet, don't switch it up on game day.

some sound advice - thanks for sharing.

GMAT Debrief

Retired Moderator
Followers: 102

Kudos [?]: 199 [0], given: 33

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT and energy drinks [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2010, 09:01
madammepsychosis wrote:

Makes sense! Thanks!

RC videos rc-through-videos-99566.html
CR videos cr-through-videos-99033.html
SC videos sc-through-videos-98340.html
Quant videos quant-through-videos-102525.html

Schools: Carey '16
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 71

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT and energy drinks [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2010, 10:06
This is what I use. And it's all I need. 1 bottle right after the AWA and for some reason, im not a scientist, but it keeps me alert and full for the rest of the day if drink it around 2PM without any slight sense of hunger even at dinner time. Simply epic.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT Date: 10-22-2011
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Internet and New Media)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 12

Re: GMAT and energy drinks [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2010, 05:42
be careful, i find too much caffeine means my brain goes dead and I can't concentrate
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 3

Re: GMAT and energy drinks [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2010, 08:07
Thank you for your advice! Short after I drink Redbull I also sometimes feel the opposite effect. :-D
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 17

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT and energy drinks [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2011, 00:26
If I am not mistaken, Red bull is also carbonated, which could make you feel bloated if you drink more than 2 cans.

They have this new product called Red Bull Energy shot. It's got 133mg caffeine per 100ml, no added carbon dioxide and comes in 60ml packages. It's twice as expensive and after trying it, I can say that it would most likely make me fall asleep during the exam.

Maybe eating some tea leafs could help :) I will give that a try.

Staying positive and having fun with the GMAT.

<<====[ If you like my post, press +1 on the left]

Director
Director
Schools: ISB
WE 1: Engineer - Larsen & Toubro, ECC Division
WE 2: Faculty - T.I.M.E.
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 66

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT and energy drinks [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2011, 06:19
Drinking a Red Bull during the break has become a GMAT Club ritual ;)

I personally think it's a placebo..

Mission: Be a force of good and make a positive difference to every life I touch!

From 650 to 710 to 750 - My Tryst With GMAT [Experience Thread]

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Re: GMAT and energy drinks [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2011, 07:40
no harm, will try it during my next simulation test ;)
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Organizational Behavior, General Management
GMAT 1: 610 Q47 V26
GMAT 2: 640 Q49 V27
GPA: 4
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 15

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: GMAT and energy drinks [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2013, 00:15
Can i take coffee just before verbal .... ?

PLAN >>> EXECUTE >>> MEASURE

Director
Director
Status: My Thread Master Bschool Threads-->Krannert(Purdue),WP Carey(Arizona),Foster(Uwashngton)
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 57

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: GMAT and energy drinks [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2013, 06:29
Ladooyuvi wrote:
Can i take coffee just before verbal .... ?

No, they wont allow you the leave that place for coffee and if you meant cold coffee then yes, you can carry it and take it before verbal.

General GMAT useful links-->

Indian Bschools Accepting Gmat | My Gmat Daily Diary | All Gmat Practice CAT's | MBA Ranking 2013 | How to Convert Indian GPA/ Percentage to US 4 pt. GPA scale | GMAT MATH BOOK in downloadable PDF format| POWERSCORE CRITICAL REASONING BIBLE - FULL CHAPTER NOTES | Result correlation between GMAT and GMAT Club's Tests | Best GMAT Stories - Period!

More useful links-->

GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios| GMAT and MBA 101|Everything You Need to Prepare for the GMAT|New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>|GMAT ToolKit: iPhone/iPod/iPad/Android application|

Verbal Treasure Hunt-->

"Ultimate" Study Plan for Verbal on the GMAT|Books to Read (Improve Verbal Score and Enjoy a Good Read)|Best Verbal GMAT Books 2012|Carcass Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section|Ultimate GMAT Grammar Book from GC club [Free Download]|Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia|Souvik's The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official-SC|ALL SC Rules+Official Qs by Experts & Legendary Club Members|Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik|Critical Reasoning Shortcuts and Tips|Critical Reasoning Megathread!|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- CR|GMAT Club's Reading Comprehension Strategy Guide|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- RC|Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia|ALL RC Strategy+Official Q by Experts&Legendary Club Members

----
---
--
-

1 KUDOS = 1 THANK

Kick Ass Gmat

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: HEC '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 27

Reviews Badge
Re: GMAT and energy drinks [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2013, 18:13
for my last MGMAT CAT, I took an energy gel as here in Sydney I could not find 5 hour energy shots. The gel comes in a small pouch and is easily available in coles etc. The pouch says that it is used by people who are working out or athletes etc. and is some sort of sugar concoction.

The problem is ,I took it during the break before verbal and when I started the section, I felt my eyes getting heavy and I could not concentrate. I was finding it very difficult to even look at the screen.

I ended up getting 35 in verbal , but more importantly I had a string of CR and 1 SC question wrong. That SC was at 300-500 level. Even worse , I had an entire RC wrong which is normally my strength and I never get more than 1 question wrong /passage if at all.

By the time I was done with the test , I actually felt quite fresh unlike how I feel after a mock. Just wanted to know if anyone did use these drinks successfully during their actual GMAT ? If yes then what did you use and what was your strategy.

Kindly advise.

Take care to get what you like or you will be forced to like what you get!!

Re: GMAT and energy drinks   [#permalink] 25 Nov 2013, 18:13