Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 07:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT and/or GRE?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT and/or GRE? [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2013, 00:26
Hello all,

First post... I have been reading much of the material and posts on this site and have found it all to be extremely helpful. With that I have a quick question and I do apologize if this has been covered before and I have missed it.

I am currently preparing to apply to several graduate programs with many of them being MBA. However there are a few programs outside of the Business Schools that I am also interested in and plan on attending if I am accepted into one of them while not being accepted into a solid MBA program. These programs are all Computer/Engineering/Healthcare related. If anything I would apply for entry into a part-time MBA program in the future if I felt it was in my best interest.

Now I am beginning to gather all the materials I need to prepare for the tests. My original plan was to take the GRE in about 3-4 weeks and the GMAT a few days after. Right now and most likely for the next 6-8 weeks (if necessary) I will have plenty of time to study and prepare. I will be able to dedicate at minimum 25-30 hours a week during this time. I am a little concerned however that by the time my GMAT scores are received by the different Admissions Departments it may be too late although it will still likely be before the stated deadline. So with this in mind and because all of the programs I will be applying to including MBA will accept the GRE, I am wondering if at this point it would be best to just focus on the GRE and skip the GMAT for now. Keep in mind I have studied for the GRE previously however never took the test so most of this time will be spent locked in a room face-first in the GMAT books if I decide to take both. I guess my question is although on paper these schools will "accept" the GRE, do they really view these two tests equally? I understand the GMAT is a demanding test and will not take it without decent preparation.

The most competitive program I will be applying to is Stern. I understand it is not "good" to send my application and scores in that close to the final deadline especially for a program such as Stern however I am going to apply and hope for the best. I will also be sending my application to Baruch, Fordham and a few others.

If I do decide to also take the GMAT I will be picking up the Manhattan Set, 5th Edition along with the latest Official Guide for GMAT review in the next few days.

Thank you.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: GMAT Prepster and Stratus Prep
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.1
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 4

Re: GMAT and/or GRE? [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2013, 12:58
Honestly, the timing of your exam relative to application submission is not that important. The GMAT is harder and schools know it, but your case is the one where they understand. If you think you can do well on both, take both. Otherwise, stick with the GRE.

If my response helps, please add throw me a kudos.

Jim Kernan is the Director of GMAT Operations at Stratus Prep and author of GMAT Materials for GMAT Prepster.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 124 [1] , given: 80

Re: GMAT and/or GRE? [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2013, 21:49
This post received
KUDOS
I think it's fair to say that MBA programs are more comfortable with GMAT scores, since they have decades of experience with the GMAT, and adcoms have plenty of data on the correlation between GMAT scores and performance in business school. But I don't think that the GRE is going to cause you any particular trouble--if they love your application and your GRE score is solid, you'll be OK. If you were only applying to MBA programs, I would recommend sticking with the GMAT, since it's more familiar to MBA adcoms. But under the circumstances, it doesn't sound like you really have the time and energy to take both tests, and there probably isn't too much downside to sticking with the GRE in your case.

You might want to check out the GRE/GMAT score converter, just to get a sense of where you might stand in relation to the schools' GMAT averages: https://www.ets.org/gre/institutions/ab ... rison_tool

Good luck with everything!

Helping students kick the GMAT in the nuts since 2002... www.gmatninja.com.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT and/or GRE? [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2013, 21:49
Thank you very much for your responses. As of now it looks like I am going to put the GMAT on hold and most likely skip it entirely for this round of applications. Hopefully everything will work out however if I find myself needing to apply to business schools in the future I will certainly be taking the GMAT.

Thank you for the GMAT/GRE converter. I will check that out as well.
Re: GMAT and/or GRE?   [#permalink] 19 Jan 2013, 21:49