Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 17:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT and the dilemma of leaving the job

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

GMAT and the dilemma of leaving the job [#permalink] New post 06 May 2011, 11:14
Hi All,
I am a GMAT aspirant and going to sit for my first GMAT in August/September. I aim to study MBA in 2012.I am an engineer working with a big co. in Energy sector. I am really confused if I should leave my current job and focus on preparing for GMAT entirely, or I should stick around with my current job and study alongside. I have had now 3 years of work ex, and think of moving on from my current job. The problem is that I cant really study much when I am off for work, which requires travelling. But at the same time I am worried if I leave my job, though I would get time to study for exams, but then the time at home would not add to my work ex, and also insecurities of not having a job would creep in! What would be the best way to deal/plan here?? Help/suggestions/advices pls!!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: GMAT and the dilemma of leaving the job [#permalink] New post 06 May 2011, 11:47
If leaving your job is not an option that will allow you to live comfortably, don't do it.

If you could get by for awhile, take a prep score to gauge your GMAT scoring level. And if after taking a prep test, you think studying will get you to where you need to be on test day, then go for it!

But this is only worth it if your MBA program of choice is worth enough for you to leave a job over.
Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT and the dilemma of leaving the job [#permalink] New post 06 May 2011, 19:40
Thanks Greg for the reply, I guess I need to make a quick decision here, hope it's the right one. :)

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Sustainability, Technology
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 6

Re: GMAT and the dilemma of leaving the job [#permalink] New post 07 May 2011, 12:49
Hi CountGarlic, totally understand your concern as i am in the same boat as you are. I have almost 4 yrs of workex and was in the same dilemma till Jan this yr.
Finally decided to take it one step at a time. Gave a diagnostic test, got a decent score so decided to work on it a little to see if there is any improvement. After a month saw a bit of improvement so finally decided to take a plunge and booked the date of 19th May.
Trust me on this, real motivation to study comes only after you have invested a substantial amount on test appointment. :wink:
From my experience, it is possible to plan prep along with the job,just requires some serious time management skills. And with just few days left for my GMAT,although I'm quite satisfied with my effort the actual score will tell how well I have managed. Fingers crossed :)
And I suggest the same to you, test the waters and if they feel alright, just take the plunge. Good Luck. Cheers.
Manager
Manager

Re: GMAT and the dilemma of leaving the job [#permalink] New post 07 May 2011, 14:16
Coffeebean, be sure to tell us how the test goes.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT and the dilemma of leaving the job [#permalink] New post 07 May 2011, 23:03
greghopkins01 wrote:

Sure. If all goes well, I plan to write a debrief too. :)
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.37
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 151 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT and the dilemma of leaving the job [#permalink] New post 08 May 2011, 10:07
Keep in mind, that although it's logical to think to yourself 'Im deciding whether to quit my job to prepare for the GMAT so that I get a better GMAT score and get into a better school', that's not really an accurate statement of causality. In reality, it's more along the lines of 'Im deciding whether to quit my job to prepare for the GMAT so that hopefully i get a better GMAT score which may increase my chance of getting into a better school'

I don't mean to be a killjoy, but quitting a job is a big deal, and I just wanted to stress that not everyone sees substantial improvement in their GMAT over the course of their preparation, and that the GMAT is only one part of the application process.
Manager
Manager

Re: GMAT and the dilemma of leaving the job [#permalink] New post 08 May 2011, 12:59
jko is right. if you are putting too many eggs in the GMAT basket, you may be disappointed.
Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT and the dilemma of leaving the job [#permalink] New post 19 May 2011, 08:17
hopalong wrote:

Posted from my mobile device

Got 750 Q50 V41 ...super excited :) :)

Last edited by CoffeBeans on 20 May 2011, 21:46, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT and the dilemma of leaving the job [#permalink] New post 19 May 2011, 12:06
DO NOT quit your job. You can do well on the test studying after work and on weekends. Honestly, take a diagnostic and see how much improvement you need to make. There's no reason you can't cover the materials in your free time over 6 months.
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1117

Kudos [?]: 5067 [2] , given: 164

Re: GMAT and the dilemma of leaving the job [#permalink] New post 19 May 2011, 19:09
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
CountGarlic wrote:
Hi All,
I am a GMAT aspirant and going to sit for my first GMAT in August/September. I aim to study MBA in 2012.I am an engineer working with a big co. in Energy sector. I am really confused if I should leave my current job and focus on preparing for GMAT entirely, or I should stick around with my current job and study alongside. I have had now 3 years of work ex, and think of moving on from my current job. The problem is that I cant really study much when I am off for work, which requires travelling. But at the same time I am worried if I leave my job, though I would get time to study for exams, but then the time at home would not add to my work ex, and also insecurities of not having a job would creep in! What would be the best way to deal/plan here?? Help/suggestions/advices pls!!

I don't know if you are still deciding or have already decided but I don't think it will be wise to quit your job. First of all, your GMAT is just one factor, your profile and experience will weigh in too. Secondly, I don't think you will be able to convince the admission committee that the only reason you left your job was to prepare for GMAT. It can be easily managed with work though it will test your commitment. Thirdly, if you try and put 8-10 hrs a day, it will not be fruitful. You will get the best value out of 2-3 hrs a day at best. Fourthly, not having a job will depress you and make you insecure. It may even burn you out.

So you travel a lot? There are many facilities available to help you study on the go. Let me give you some examples: A lot of our study apps are available for your iphone/ipad etc. We have ppts (On Demand Lectures) for all classes which you can access any time from anywhere provided you have an internet connection. There are huge question banks on every topic online and so on.. Try to make the best use of your travel time, hotel time etc

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT and the dilemma of leaving the job [#permalink] New post 30 May 2011, 14:18
Thanks all for your suggestions. And congrats Coffeebeans for a gr8 score. Good luck with applications.
I guess I am convinced that leaving the job is not the way to go.
Re: GMAT and the dilemma of leaving the job   [#permalink] 30 May 2011, 14:18