Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 16:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Application: Improving Extracurriculars

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

GMAT Application: Improving Extracurriculars [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2011, 08:30
Hi all,

I am new to the GMAT Club, and so far I am loving this resource.

My issue/question is as follows:

Recently I have changed my career plans from law towards pursuing an MBA and ultimately landing a job in consulting.

I have about 2 years of work experience -- 1 year in small law firm, ~1 year in major financial institution as financial planner.

Aside from scoring well on the GMAT, I wish to pursue extracurriculars that will help me stand out on my application.

I have always been a natural leader. I grew up playing catcher in baseball and continued to do so for many years. In many social situations I assume the role of leader and so was the case in college a few years back when we were asked to do group projects.

My dilemma is: I don't think talking about being a catcher for many years will be a great example of leadership and I am confident adcomms don't want to here about how I got a group of guys to go to Wendy's over Burger King. Yeah, I assumed the role of leader on group projects in college but from an adcomm perspective I haven't done anything that would make one go "wow, that is a sign of a leader."

I have been considering NGOs and would ideally like to participate in one for several months before my application. Problem is, they are often expensive and time is not on my side when undergraduate loans are knocking on the door.

I am looking to generate some ideas with the help of this board for some extracurricular activities that will help highlight my leadership capability. If there is a valuable link or other resource, please link it!

Thanks so much in advance!

Last edited by DJK on 29 Mar 2011, 10:22, edited 2 times in total.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.14
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 87 [2] , given: 57

Re: GMAT Application: Improving Extracurriculars [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2011, 08:57
This post received
KUDOS
To beat Maxwell Roper to the punch:

Hi DJK. Thank you for starting a great post.

If you are looking to gain a robust pre-MBA experience that will help you to answer the common b-school application question, "Please indicate other extra-curricular activities, internships or voluntary work relevant for Admissions," then consider participating in our USA Leadership Corps professional group (www usaLeadershipCorps org) .

USALC partners with pre-MBAs who are looking to build their consulting, entrepreneurship, and/or community-involvement resumes by leading part-time volunteer nonprofit strategy consulting projects. Please visit our website to learn more.

Thank you & good luck.

Maxwell Roper
Outreach Director
USA Leadership Corps

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Application: Improving Extracurriculars [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2011, 10:21
brainhurt wrote:
To beat Maxwell Roper to the punch:

Hi DJK. Thank you for starting a great post.

If you are looking to gain a robust pre-MBA experience that will help you to answer the common b-school application question, "Please indicate other extra-curricular activities, internships or voluntary work relevant for Admissions," then consider participating in our USA Leadership Corps professional group (www usaLeadershipCorps org) .

USALC partners with pre-MBAs who are looking to build their consulting, entrepreneurship, and/or community-involvement resumes by leading part-time volunteer nonprofit strategy consulting projects. Please visit our website to learn more.

Thank you & good luck.

Maxwell Roper
Outreach Director
USA Leadership Corps

Thanks brainhurt!

I am checking out the website right now, and upon an initial scanning, it seems to be right in line with what I am seeking.
Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Application: Improving Extracurriculars [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2011, 10:27
Hmmm. I just read that I must have at least 3 years of work experience....
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 57

Re: GMAT Application: Improving Extracurriculars [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2011, 10:30
DJK wrote:
Hmmm. I just read that I must have at least 3 years of work experience....

I suggest you contact them. I would guess that those rules are just guidelines. (I have no specific knowledge of this though.)

Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Application: Improving Extracurriculars [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2011, 10:33
Yeah, that is what I am going to do.

Thanks for prompt responses, much appreciated.

In what capacity do you know Maxwell Roper?
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 57

Re: GMAT Application: Improving Extracurriculars [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2011, 10:44
DJK wrote:

In no capacity, but I have observed that every time someone asks about something EC-related he posts that message or something like it, so I thought I'd beat him to it.

Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Application: Improving Extracurriculars [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2011, 10:53
brainhurt wrote:
DJK wrote:

In no capacity, but I have observed that every time someone asks about something EC-related he posts that message or something like it, so I thought I'd beat him to it.

Got it, thanks.
Re: GMAT Application: Improving Extracurriculars   [#permalink] 29 Mar 2011, 10:53