Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 03:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT As Financial "Call Option"

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Expert Post
10 KUDOS received
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 286

Kudos [?]: 633 [10] , given: 6

GMAT As Financial "Call Option" [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2012, 13:24
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
A contributing staff member would like to share his insights on what the GMAT exam means for your career. He is a credit derivatives trader and sees the GMAT exam as a "call option" on your career. Take a look:

So what do you think?

Do you see the GMAT exam as a financial "call option" on your career?

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Last edited by GMATPill on 26 Dec 2012, 19:46, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Pill GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
Followers: 70

Kudos [?]: 441 [0], given: 449

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GMAT As Financial "Call Option" [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2012, 09:29
One of the best posts on GC.
Great analogy and the thing in the box (on when to take the GMAT) is what I always advise people to do. Take it early enough, when you are in a good shape.

My Debrief | MBA Timeline - New! Stay on top of deadlines, receive recommendations for each stage, get reminders.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 10

Re: GMAT As Financial "Call Option" [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2012, 20:21
Hmm interesting read. The only disagreement that I would have with this analogy is that taking the GMAT is not entering into a legal trading contract by taking opposite sides of a bet with a counterparty.

Ie for you to take a profit by buying a call option in the financial markets, the counterparty who sold you that option must take an equally-sized loss (discounting fees). Conversely if you take a loss by buying that put option, then the counterparty that sold you the option would take a equally-sized profit in that trade.

Of course by taking the GMAT, going to business school, and then making lots of money from your successful career, GMAC doesn't actually lose any money as a result of all of your successes, which is why the analogy is flawed.

Anyways interesting read, thanks for sharing, and kudos for the post!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 1

Reviews Badge
Re: GMAT As Financial "Call Option" [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2012, 16:04
This post received
KUDOS
BigBrownFox wrote:
Hmm interesting read. The only disagreement that I would have with this analogy is that taking the GMAT is not entering into a legal trading contract by taking opposite sides of a bet with a counterparty.

Ie for you to take a profit by buying a call option in the financial markets, the counterparty who sold you that option must take an equally-sized loss (discounting fees). Conversely if you take a loss by buying that put option, then the counterparty that sold you the option would take a equally-sized profit in that trade.

Of course by taking the GMAT, going to business school, and then making lots of money from your successful career, GMAC doesn't actually lose any money as a result of all of your successes, which is why the analogy is flawed.

Hi BigBrownFox -

I am actually the guest author of this article.

What you argue as "flawed" I argue as "awesome". What you are essentially saying is that the GMAT exam is such that there is unlimited upside for the taker, but the fictitious counter-party of the GMAT exam option doesn't "lose" that equal amount. Thus, the gmat is like a call option but without the one-for-one winner / loser scenario: everyone wins. In other words, it is even better than a call option.

Of course, such an instrument in which there is only a winner and no loser does not exist in the real world so the call option analogy was to me the most suitable way to explain the kind of asymmetry in the potential payoffs vs costs that one can experience by taking the GMAT.

Thanks for your viewpoint though. Another way to think about it is that this analogy is actually "conservative" in the sense that it is even better than the kind of payoff the call option provides (in the sense that there is no loser, to stretch your view of looking at it). And isn't it better to be conservative rather than agressive?

Cheers,

Mikey
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 286

Kudos [?]: 633 [1] , given: 6

Re: GMAT As Financial "Call Option" [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2012, 20:07
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
mikeynyc wrote:
BigBrownFox wrote:

Hi BigBrownFox -

I am actually the guest author of this article.

What you argue as "flawed" I argue as "awesome". What you are essentially saying is that the GMAT exam is such that there is unlimited upside for the taker, but the fictitious counter-party of the GMAT exam option doesn't "lose" that equal amount. Thus, the gmat is like a call option but without the one-for-one winner / loser scenario: everyone wins. In other words, it is even better than a call option.

Of course, such an instrument in which there is only a winner and no loser does not exist in the real world so the call option analogy was to me the most suitable way to explain the kind of asymmetry in the potential payoffs vs costs that one can experience by taking the GMAT.

Thanks for your viewpoint though. Another way to think about it is that this analogy is actually "conservative" in the sense that it is even better than the kind of payoff the call option provides (in the sense that there is no loser, to stretch your view of looking at it). And isn't it better to be conservative rather than agressive?

Cheers,

Mikey

Good points.

BigBrownFox, you seem to suggest that GMAC is selling the call option and you are buying from them...and in that sense, GMAC is taking the opposite side of the trade.

Well, technically, that's not what's happening since GMAC is not on the opposite side. Our gain is not their loss.

Rather, GMAC is almost kind of like the exchange that charges you that fee for buying that call option from some imaginary ether. So perhaps something like the NYSE or NASDAQ that makes a small fee (not too different from the $250 fee to take the GMAT test) for each "trade" or test they administer.

The more people who take the test, the more exchange fees they will collect. Perhaps that may be a clearer way to draw the analogy. Counterparty and zero-sum games that are more common with OTC derivative contracts are probably not the best way to look at it.

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Re: GMAT As Financial "Call Option"   [#permalink] 26 Dec 2012, 20:07