Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 14:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT beats me again... from 620 to 670

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 9

GMAT beats me again... from 620 to 670 [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2011, 02:55
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi,
I wrote my second GMAT today and scored 670 (Q49 V32) another dismal performance. The focus area of my preparation this time was on verbals but i guess the effort wasn't enough.

I wrote 6 MGMATS:-
MGMAT1-660(45/35)
MGMAT2-630(46/31)
MGMAT3-670(45/36)
MGMAT4-700(47/38) - Taken on 09/17
MGMAT5-700(44/41) - Taken on 09/24
MGMAT6-730(48/41) - Taken on 10/10

The mba.com prep results were
Prep Test1- 750(49/44) - Taken on 10/01
Prep Test2- 680(48/35) - Taken on 10/09
** All these test were taken with AWA.

Well the verbal score in the real exam is really disheartening and I am really not sure what went wrong, i got 4 RCs, and i missed the last question - dont really know the penalty for that but it should not be more than 2 points at max.

Please suggest should i prepare for another GMAT and App next year or should i apply with these scores?
I am an Indian male with 6.5+ yrs of exp in IT product development domain.

Eagerly Awaiting responses...
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 411 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: GMAT beats me again... from 620 to 670 [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2011, 07:47
You're verbal score is very inconsistent. You score well and then don't score well.

Not answering a question averages to 3 percentile points per unanswered question.

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: Babson '15, HKU '15
WE: Consulting (Accounting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 6

Reviews Badge
Re: GMAT beats me again... from 620 to 670 [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2011, 08:35
First of all, congrats for doing so well on the quant section. I am your evil twin, my quant has let me down on more than one occasion, but everything changed, once I got tutoring from Haakon Brown (Manhattan GMAT) and Brent Hanneson . Brent especially, helped me frame my weaknesses and helped me mitigate them, which raised my comfort level as well. I ended up spending about 800$ in process, in the grand scheme of things it was well worth it. So don't throw in towel, GMAT is a beast and it can be conquered, but to do so you should try minimize your weaknesses (your Verbal/RC muscles may need more of the good stuff), because this beast pounces on any opportunity that you yield, be it Quant or Verbal. Additionally, the extra help can be in the form a friend as well, but he or she has to be someone who can not only tell you what you're doing wrong, but also how you end up choosing the wrong answer. You may also post your mistakes on GMC forums and let your peers tell you the why and how. Above all stay positive, because you can still take another stab at the GMAT.

Unfortunately, you belong to an over represented demographic (Indian/IT/Male) and its not uncommon see scores in excess of 740+ from your competitors (other Indian/IT/Males). If you're targeting top 20 schools then you may need to bring up that GMAT score to bolster your chances of getting in.

Good luck with the rest of your MBA application.
Re: GMAT beats me again... from 620 to 670   [#permalink] 11 Oct 2011, 08:35