Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Apr 2014, 05:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Beginner - Need suggestions for going further.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

GMAT Beginner - Need suggestions for going further. [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2012, 07:02
Hi,

I have started preparing for gmat recently and planning to take the exam by November first week.
I havent take any diagnostic tests yet. Doing self study. completely out of touch in math and verbal untill I started preparing for GMAT.

I can dedicate 4 - 6 hours daily for preparation over the next 2 months, Will it be sufficient to take the exams during November?

Will it be useful if I join any GMAT courses online or classroom based courses?

How to go ahead? what are the books needed if I decide to do self study?

Iam so confused please drop in some suggestions..

thanks
vish
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
GMAT Pill Representative
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 2

Re: GMAT Beginner - Need suggestions for going further. [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2012, 19:23
Hi there!

4-6 hours a day for 2 months should be plenty, but it might be not enough or it might be too much, depending on your individual circumstances. I'd suggest starting with a diagnostic test, to figure out where you stand. The Official Guide questions will suffice, if you want to save a little money. There are several basic types of questions in the GMAT, and the OG can help you figure out which of these questions you are able to handle, and which you need help with. Once you know which types you need to work on most, focus on that specific area, and then move on to the next weakest, and so on. Keep taking practice tests every week or so, to allow you to keep track of your progress.

Additional material can be helpful, as can online courses or live classes; again, however, this would depend on your individual circumstances. Some people respond well to certain types of study aids, while others do best without any additional kerfluffle. You know best what works for you. What is certain, however, is that there are plenty of people here who are willing to help you - feel free to ask about anything and everything you might be having trouble with!

Hi, I'm DonQuixote, a former GMAT Pill student who scored 780. I'm very grateful for this score and have now joined their staff :) My account of my GMAT experience can be found here.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: GMAT Beginner - Need suggestions for going further. [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2012, 00:43
Hi Don,

I have also 6 hrs to spare every day for the next 2-3 months. I am weak in Quants and i want to really do well in Quants in eventual GMAT. Please share some strategy to go about mastering quants. i have all the material in the world for it but i am confused as to where to start and build up my basics.

I want to do it topic wise and to practise tests topic wise, which material would be the best to do it topic wise in quants? i want to finish one topic per day and do exercises of that topic.
Director
Director
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 284 [0], given: 162

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: GMAT Beginner - Need suggestions for going further. [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2012, 04:59
What all materials do you have ? War strategy depends on the amminution you have.

Spring has passed, summer is gone and winter is here. And the song that I meant to sing remains unsung.
For I have spent my days stringing and un-stringing my instrument.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: GMAT Beginner - Need suggestions for going further. [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2012, 05:12
OG 13, OG quant review 2nd ed, Manhattan guides 4th ed,some other materials in pdf form

Posted from my mobile device Image
BSchool Thread Master
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Schools: ISB '14 (D)
GMAT 1: 570 Q49 V19
GMAT 2: 700 Q51 V31
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 51

Kudos [?]: 192 [0], given: 39

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: GMAT Beginner - Need suggestions for going further. [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2012, 03:48
For practice you can try grockit.com and gmatclub questions. You can find the link to gmatclub tags in my signature.
Prepare an error log and the decide on your weak areas and write a practice test. Go back to theory and rewrite a practice test. IF still things don't improve then approach a tutor.
Link to the materials I used for my gmat preparation is also there in my signature.
Good Luck!

ankit
you must believe

How to start GMAT preparations?
How to Improve Quant Score?
gmatclub topic tags
Check out my GMAT debrief
Thursdays with Ron link
Looking for a Quant tutor? Check out my post for the same!

Combined Formula Sheet :
Number Properties || Word Problems and PnC || Equations, Inequalities || Geometry

How to Solve :
Statistics || Reflection of a line || Remainder Problems

Re: GMAT Beginner - Need suggestions for going further.   [#permalink] 26 Aug 2012, 03:48