Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 03:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Books - Are they really that good?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Books - Are they really that good? [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2013, 13:49
Hello everybody,

So I will be taking my GMAT on May 1st and thus have been studying for a bit already.
My first month is over and I finished all the Manhattan GMATstudy guides (the quantitative ones), the GMAT Math bible, and the official guide (quant section).

But I have to say I am a bit disappointed. From reading on these forums (and others) these books are pretty much the most recommended books (esp. MGMAT and OG), and they do indeed seem the most in dept. But the questions in both of these are still fairly easy (even the so called difficult ones) and I find mistakes more than I hoped. So how good are these books really? If I would take the exam now (lets not consider verbal) what would be a realistic outcome?

Most of the questions in the books I had right the first time. But I don't feel like these books challenged me, at all.. based on what I studied, and as reference 700+score questions on these forums, I feel like the questions in these books are for the 500 range scores. Is this feeling accurate?
It is not necessary that I am disappointed about the content and quality of the book, but maybe more of the promise that they will prepare you properly. I don't really feel prepared at all for the math section, but if these are the better recommended books.. what else is there to do?

Anybody else sharing the same feelings?
Thanks,
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Current Student
Status: Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 239

Kudos [?]: 817 [0], given: 82

Re: GMAT Books - Are they really that good? [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2013, 14:00
Expert's post
Ruud wrote:
Hello everybody,

So I will be taking my GMAT on May 1st and thus have been studying for a bit already.
My first month is over and I finished all the Manhattan GMATstudy guides (the quantitative ones), the GMAT Math bible, and the official guide (quant section).

But I have to say I am a bit disappointed. From reading on these forums (and others) these books are pretty much the most recommended books (esp. MGMAT and OG), and they do indeed seem the most in dept. But the questions in both of these are still fairly easy (even the so called difficult ones) and I find mistakes more than I hoped. So how good are these books really? If I would take the exam now (lets not consider verbal) what would be a realistic outcome?

Most of the questions in the books I had right the first time. But I don't feel like these books challenged me, at all.. based on what I studied, and as reference 700+score questions on these forums, I feel like the questions in these books are for the 500 range scores. Is this feeling accurate?
It is not necessary that I am disappointed about the content and quality of the book, but maybe more of the promise that they will prepare you properly. I don't really feel prepared at all for the math section, but if these are the better recommended books.. what else is there to do?

Anybody else sharing the same feelings?
Thanks,

Hi Ruud,

It seems that you have completed a major chunk from your study material. Yes, the official guide contains a lot of easy questions, but still you must analyze each and every question and understand why a particular answer choice is correct and why another incorrect. The best thing at this point would be to test your current level. Have you taken any one of the GMAT Prep tests; if not then do so. Based on the score from this test you can decide or I can suggest which approach to follow.

Hope this helps,

Vercules

Press Kudos if you want to say thanks

Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia | Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- VERBAL | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- IR

Please Read and Follow the 9 Rules of Posting in Verbal Forum

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Sustainability
Schools: Booth '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
GPA: 3.82
WE: Business Development (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 41

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: GMAT Books - Are they really that good? [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2013, 14:32
I never found any mistakes in OG 12. I can't speak to any other materials.

If you're hungry for more practice questions (but you don't want to spend money), check out your local library. You might be able to find more prep materials for free.

Otherwise, I agree with Vercules: try a GMAT Prep practice exam.

My GMAT debrief

Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 61

Kudos [?]: 627 [0], given: 116

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: GMAT Books - Are they really that good? [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2013, 21:00
IMHO, anyone would be able to get a 51 if he/she were allowed to take his/her own time.. But you can't really assess your skills until you have taken a mock test and see whether you are able to complete all question right and on time... The gmatprep tests would be the most accurate indicator.. If you find taking the test too easy as well.. Then I must say.. Congratulations.. You are test ready... :)

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

Re: GMAT Books - Are they really that good?   [#permalink] 04 Mar 2013, 21:00