Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 19:09 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 19:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [1]
Given Kudos: 130
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: GMAT cancels score due to policy breach - help [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi Aysha,

You should certainly continue to plead your case, but it's possible that Pearson might not reinstate your score. That having been said, you should consider how best to proceed from that result. Given GMAC's current testing rules, you only have to wait 16 days (not 31 days) before retaking the GMAT. In addition, many Schools will consider your application even if your Official Score comes in after the application deadline (as long as the rest of your application is in on time). Not all Schools allow this though, so you might want to contact the School, explain your situation and see if they'll still accept your application under the circumstances.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Rich,

I don't understand Pearson Vue says I have to wait 31 days. Why do you believe under the current GMAC rules I only have to wait 16 days? Where have you seen this?

Aysha

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1263 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Strategy
GPA: 3.71
Send PM
Aysha

Sorry to hear about your case.

Well the 16 days thing is on the GMAC website. You can re take the test after 16 days.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [0]
Given Kudos: 130
Expert Reply
asuzuki1409 wrote:
Hi Mike,

Well this isn't really a solution but I do appreciate the reply.

What is magoosh and how will this help me?

Aysha

Dear Aysha,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

First of all, Magoosh is an online test prep that has supported thousands of students in getting higher GMAT scores. We have helped people with low scores get much higher, and we have helped people with elite scores go even higher. Your 730 was already an impressive score: Magoosh could help you go even higher. In fact, our score guarantee says that you will go 50-points higher!
Here's our free blog.
We have a library of 200+ GMAT lessons covering all the content and strategy you need. Here's a free sample Verbal lesson:
Substantive Clauses
We have 1000+ GMAT practice question, questions that have undergone evaluation through a rigorous statistical feedback procedure. Here's a free sample math question:
Adding to Numerator and Denominator
Here's a free SC question:
Charles Sumner
When you submit your answer to either of those questions, the following page will have a complete video explanation of the problem. Each one of our GMAT practice questions has its own VE: this sort of immediate feedback is exactly what accelerates the understanding of our student. That's Magoosh.

Now, about the larger question. If you are fortunate enough, on your own or with the help of a lawyer, to reverse this unfair decision, that would be fantastic. That would be a victory for justice. I truly wish you the best in that regard. Unfortunately, I am not optimistic about your prospects to change this situation, but I truly wish you the best. It's a sad fact about our world that, at so many levels, justice does not prevail.

You see, my friend, assuming that nothing changes about this situation with GMAC, then for whatever reason, you have been dealt an unfair setback, really a significant defeat. Many people, when life hands them a defeat, become bitter, vindictive, filled with blame for others, filled with self pity, and simply entrenched in the complaint that what happened was unfair; in this way, people defeat themselves internally after they have been handed an external defeat. As long as we are complaining about what others have or haven't done, we are not acknowledging our own agency and power. Life regularly hands each one of us defeats of one kind or another, and many people remain internally defeated afterwards. In fact, we are all more powerful than we realize.

My friend, if GMAC doesn't reverse this unfair decision, I want you to recognize that you have a tremendous opportunity. The question before you is how you use this massive derailment of your plans to move even more powerfully into your future? How can you turn this defeat into a victory? You see, if you really can do this, if you can turn this defeat into a tremendously positive experience over the next year, then can write about it in your essays in the next round, you will have something much rarer and much more valuable than an elite GMAT score. The resilience and courage it takes to bounce back from a defeat are worth their weight in gold, and if you can cultivate these qualities and maintain them through your career, you will have a edge in a moment of crisis that most of your peers will lack. The opportunity of this moment in your life is truly tremendous, but you must embrace this opportunity with the courageous heart of a lion.

If you decide after this that you still want to pursue B-school, an MBA, and a career in business, then Magoosh is one option you have to guarantee that the next time you sit for the GMAT, your performance will be even more impressive. That might be one element of turning this defeat into a victory. The biggest elements, though, will be in the kind of attitude you are able to cultivate.

I have said a great deal here. If you have any questions or would like to discuss this further, let me know. I sincerely wish you the very best!

Mike McGarry :-)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
That is so unfair!

One could argue that the candidate was not properly scrutinized before entering the exam hall. What is GMAC or Pearson Vue doing to ensure that candidate is entering inside with only things that are allowed? If they already do have a system/process to ensure this, the person who is supposed to follow did not do a good job. Why should the test taker be penalized? If they do not have such system/process - shouldn't they come up with one? Again, why should the test taker be penalized?

So sorry to hear about that!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey so I just wanted to reply from a lawyer's perspective. While I certainly agree this sucks- I highly disagree with wasting your money on a lawyer to fight this. Or people saying it's everyone else's fault. It was a small mistake, but if the GMAC/PearsonVue allow this, it becomes a slippery slope that can hurt the integrity of the exam. Yea, you didn't cheat, but what if someone replaced the lettering on the lip palm packaging? It's a lot easier to have a blanket cancellation policy than risking litigation for investigations into each individual incident.

The rules clearly state that you aren't allowed to bring anything in to the testing room. You sign an agreement when you take the test/sign up for the GMAT agreeing to score cancellations when there are policy breaches. PeasonVue can attempt to search you, but it's not their duty to make sure you don't take anything into the testing room.

Please just realize this sucks but you can overcome and even improve the exam on your next attempt. Don't let this bring you down. I think whoever you spoke with on the phone was mistaken because the rules changed on the wait time somewhat recently - you have to wait 16 days after your last testing period. So chin up and rock it in a few more days!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
GRE 1: Q161 V157
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Hi everybody,

I'm going through a similar situation here. After 20 days of taking my second GMAT attempt and receiving a 700 unofficial score, yesterday I received a letter from Pearson Vue notifying that my score was cancelled due to a policy breach because I used a chapstick during the test. While this is true, I feel this is just so unfair! I worked so hard and in so many ways to improve from my 490 first attempt score!! I also happen to have extreme dry skin and I need to always keep with me a lipbalm to moisturize my lips. Obviously in a stress situation like the GMAT test (and even more after my first score), this situation got worst and in a innocent act, I used it. But the thing is that the test supervisor never notified me about the policy breach. I was so innocent about it that I even showed it to him when I entered the test room and he didn't said anything about it.

Regardless of my justifications and how frustrated I'm feeling, I know I breached the policy and now I got a chance to appeal to Pearson Vue's decision. Does anyone has any suggestions on what should be the strategy I should use to appeal? Has anyone heard of a successful appealling case?

I really appreciate any help here!

Thanks,

Carolina
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
GMAT cancels score due to policy breach - help [#permalink]
carolinapinzon wrote:
Hi everybody,

I'm going through a similar situation here. After 20 days of taking my second GMAT attempt and receiving a 700 unofficial score, yesterday I received a letter from Pearson Vue notifying that my score was cancelled due to a policy breach because I used a chapstick during the test. While this is true, I feel this is just so unfair! I worked so hard and in so many ways to improve from my 490 first attempt score!! I also happen to have extreme dry skin and I need to always keep with me a lipbalm to moisturize my lips. Obviously in a stress situation like the GMAT test (and even more after my first score), this situation got worst and in a innocent act, I used it. But the thing is that the test supervisor never notified me about the policy breach. I was so innocent about it that I even showed it to him when I entered the test room and he didn't said anything about it.

Regardless of my justifications and how frustrated I'm feeling, I know I breached the policy and now I got a chance to appeal to Pearson Vue's decision. Does anyone has any suggestions on what should be the strategy I should use to appeal? Has anyone heard of a successful appealling case?

I really appreciate any help here!

Thanks,

Carolina

Hey Carolina,

Sorry to hear about your issues. It does seem super unfair that they cancel a score based on chapstick. Unfortunately, it is against their terms and conditions to taking their exam and as per we do agree to these when we take the test. I guess you could appeal and try to tell them you have a condition that requires you to use chapstick frequently. You should also probably mention that you showed them the chapstick and they let it through, so the fault is the test administrators and not yours. Maybe it will work, maybe it won't, but you could atleast try. Hope this all works out for you! If it doesn't, you could always retake the test, if you scored a 700 once you might do better next time around!

Good luck!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 459 [0]
Given Kudos: 173
Send PM
Hi carolinapinzon

Sorry to hear about the score cancellation.

I suggest, if not done already, then write an email to them. Detail the reasons for your need to use the chapstick & stress on the fact that the proctor at the exam center gave you permission.

Try to reason with them, citing
- your medical condition
- exam anxiety, making you forget the details of rules & regulations
- ignorance of the test supervisor

It is very unfortunate that it happened to you for such an innocent reason, however your case doesn't have solid backing. Still give it a try & if they deny you, then look at it positively & move on quickly.

Your time will be better used to focus on a retake strategy, take it as an opportunity to score even better.

Regards,
GyM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 385 [0]
Given Kudos: 2380
Send PM
carolinapinzon wrote:
But the thing is that the test supervisor never notified me about the policy breach. I was so innocent about it that I even showed it to him when I entered the test room and he didn't said anything about it.

Someone replied to OP about the invigilator not doing, essentially, a pat down for contraband, which is preposterous. Actually showing the invigilator something is interesting though.
If one were to explicitly ask the invigilator if something breaches policy (water, chewing gum, lip balm, address written on hand etc) and the invigilator says it's fine, if that gives recourse of sorts.

Of course, the best thing to do is read the policy and take nothing.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [1]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
That’s a great score improvement. I would reschedule in 16 days. Stay focused and primed to retake so you keep everything fresh. Your other goal, besides fighting GMAC should be protecting your score.

BB

GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [0]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
bb wrote:
That’s a great score improvement. I would reschedule in 16 days. Stay focused and primed to retake so you keep everything fresh. Your other goal, besides fighting GMAC should be protecting your score.

BB

carolinapinzon, I just wanted to agree with bb above. Yup, keep fighting GMAC, but I'm incredibly impressed by the 210-point improvement -- that's soooooooo hard to do. You've already achieved a ton, and most of your energy should go toward keeping yourself rested, sharp, and fresh so that you can get another 700+ in a couple of weeks. Don't let GMAC's silliness get you down, and go kick some butt next time, even if GMAC doesn't do the right thing.

Good luck with everything, we're rooting for you!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37301 posts