Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:54 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72887 [1]
Given Kudos: 18868
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72887 [0]
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: GMAT Cheaters Busted in China - Dont Cheat on GMAT! [#permalink]
of course it will continue to happen because the adaptive is flawed. Hackers get to the US pentagon data base all the time, what makes gmac thinks it cannot happen to them. I wish the test was paper based or a highly secure local data base that is not connected to any network. As long as the test is connected to an online network, kids in India, China etc. will always get their hands on it.

If this continue to happen, it is safe to say that GMAT score will be questionable. THat will not happen with CFAI because they do not have any computer pase stuff.

I guess they only care about money, not the integrity of the test. And i think that ETS was better than GMAC.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: General
Schools:LBS,Oxford SAID,INSEAD,NUS
Send PM
Iwantitbad wrote:
of course it will continue to happen because the adaptive is flawed. Hackers get to the US pentagon data base all the time, what makes gmac thinks it cannot happen to them. I wish the test was paper based or a highly secure local data base that is not connected to any network. As long as the test is connected to an online network, kids in India, China etc. will always get their hands on it.

If this continue to happen, it is safe to say that GMAT score will be questionable. THat will not happen with CFAI because they do not have any computer pase stuff.

I guess they only care about money, not the integrity of the test. And i think that ETS was better than GMAC.

So when did you see news that GMAT is being hacked in INDIA ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: finance /supply chain
Send PM
every thing on the website is written in Chinese.. can some one translate..
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
pittgreek wrote:
every thing on the website is written in Chinese.. can some one translate..

Here is how I read Chinese: https://translate.google.com/translate?j ... h-CN&tl=en
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
bb wrote:
Business Week Published an Article today:
https://www.businessweek.com/bschools/co ... 558900.htm

Quote:
Crackdown on China GMAT Cheating
Business school applicants who use Chinese Web sites to get a sneak peek at GMAT questions are having their scores revoked and being banned from retaking the test

Students who have tried to get a leg up on the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) by visiting Web sites carrying illegally obtained test-preparation material may soon come to regret their actions. The Graduate Management Admission Council (GMAC) is aggressively pursuing more and more Web sites that illegally provide copyrighted GMAT materials to test-takers, as well as using high-tech gadgets to catch "proxy" test-takers who are hired to take the exam in place of applicants, the organization says.

A key focus of GMAC's efforts is China. Already in 2009, 32 scores from China have been revoked by GMAC, while 24 Chinese test-takers have been blocked by GMAC from retaking the GMAT exam for five years, GMAC says. One of the Chinese cases that ended in disciplinary action involved a woman who took the GMAT on seven different occasions for seven different people, says Dave Wilson, president of GMAC.

The crackdown comes on the heels of an important court victory for GMAC in China, with a Chinese court ruling on Nov. 23 that a test-preparation Web site, https://www.passion.org.cn, had infringed GMAC's copyright by providing exclusive GMAT materials to test-takers for a fee, including reconstructed "live" questions from actual GMAT exams, GMAT prep materials, and PDFs of actual test books. The legal action by GMAC is just one of a number of steps the organization is taking to make sure that students can't cheat on the exam, says Wilson.

These include heightened security measures at testing centers such as palm vein readers, which use infrared light to capture each test-taker's unique palm vein pattern, as well as digital photographs and passport scanners, he says. The organization also has Web crawling software that scans 15 million Web sites every evening, looking for sites that illegally compile "live" GMAT questions.
User Names Withheld

"This speaks to every test-taker and I think it tells them that when you take the GMAT, you are going to be observed, palm veined, and scanned," Wilson says. "It will be the fairest test and it will not be corrupted."

With the recent court ruling in China, there do not appear to be any immediate consequences for students who used the highly trafficked Web site, run by Beijing Passion Consultancy, one of China's largest GMAT preparation companies. GMAC was unable to obtain the names of the students who used the site to study for the exam, so was unable to pursue any immediate action against them, GMAC says. However, the court ruled that Beijing Passion must remove any copyrighted material from its Web site, pay GMAC $76,000 in compensation, and post a notice on its site from GMAC about the consequences of cheating.

A lawyer representing Beijing Passion, Zhou Junwu, of the Beijing-based law firm Jingcheng, Tongda & Neal, could not be reached.

The GMAC warning, already posted on Passion's test-prep site, states: "GMAC takes cheating very seriously, especially attempts to obtain access to live questions in advance of an exam." It goes on to describe the consequences for students who are found to be improperly "disclosing, accessing, or using" GMAT materials, which include cancellation of test scores, a ban on retaking the exam, and informing business schools that received the scores that they have been revoked.
Anti-Cheating Campaign

The case is just the latest in GMAC's campaign to safeguard the integrity of the exam. The organization has recently filed about 10 administrative complaints with the Chinese copyright office against Web sites illegally carrying GMAT preparation material, says Robert Burgoyne, an attorney representing GMAC from the Washington (D.C.)-based law firm Fulbright & Jaworski. This is the second time that GMAC has successfully pursued legal action against a Chinese test-preparation company for copyright violations, Burgoyne says. Back in 2003, GMAC won a case against the New Oriental School for illegally distributing GMAT preparation material in its classes. But the courts have never before made a ruling on a case exclusively involving test-preparation materials distributed via the Web, he says.

"This is certainly one of the first cases involving Internet-based infringement in China and I think that's really its principal significance," Burgoyne says. "The Chinese courts, like the U.S. courts, are going to have to come to terms with the challenges posed by the Internet in terms of protecting intellectual-property rights."

This ruling comes on the heels of another high-profile case that GMAC won in 2008 against a now-defunct U.S.Web site, Scoretop.com, which allowed students to get a look at live questions from the GMAT exam.The site was run by Chinese native Lei Shi from a base in Aurora, Ohio, before he returned to his native country.In that case, GMAC won a $2.3 million copyright-infringement judgment against the Scoretop site, was able to seize the site's domain name, and shut down the operation.It was also able to obtain a hard drive that contained data on 6,000 users who paid $30 to access the VIP section of the Web site.Of those 6,000, 84 had their test scores revoked by GMAC. Twelve posted live GMAT questions on the site and 72 wrote messages on Scoretop confirming they saw questions from the Web site on their GMAT exams, according to GMAC.
"Extra Edge"

The steps that GMAC is taking to prevent cheating on the GMAT exam in China are commendable, says Donald McCabe, a professor of management and global business at Rutgers Business School (Rutgers Full-Time MBA Profile). McCabe has conducted surveys that show B-school students tend to cheat more often than their counterparts in other graduate school programs. This tendency can become heightened in connection with standardized admissions testing, where the stakes are considerably higher, McCabe says. Students will often try to take steps that will give them an "extra edge" during the exam, he added.

"It's a good first step, in my opinion," McCabe says of the Chinese court ruling. "I think this ruling will scare some people from cheating in the short term now that they realize they could be affected by this and have their GMAT score canceled. But I worry that students, if they want to cheat, will find another way around it if they are so anxious to do so."

OK..so 56 people out of country of 1 billion are now banned from GMAT. Surely, there must be more than 56 GMAT cheaters in all of China (BW article states China's GMAT cheating is rather pervasive). The point is the risk of cheating on GMAT in China is low and the reward is great. Anytime you have the two combination, there is very little incentive to not cheat.

GMAC is changing the GMAT in the next 5 years to make it more foolproof, which gives an indication of how rampant GMAT cheating is in China (and probably India).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 224 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
Yes, this was not much but i think they did as much as they could taking into consideration this is a whole different country that has different IP laws.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
you also have to consider the immense pressure the students there as well. The competition is many times more over there than here and people commit suicide over low entrance exams. They have exams to get into junior and high schools so the pressure is immense. Of course I disapprove their actions but just saying some of them probably thought they had to do it. The part about a lady taking 7 diff tests also shows how unsecure the test centers are there - or how the people can be bribed i suppose.
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3594 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
GMAC is doing right, the offender will think twice before making such act.

But i feel pity for the students who are banned.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
Interesting, another post surfaced but a different story: https://www.deccanchronicle.com/channels ... centre-046

It looks like the test center officials have been corrupted in one of the test centers and allowed another person to take test, who has completed it in 21 minutes! The score he got was 680.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
shaselai wrote:
you also have to consider the immense pressure the students there as well. The competition is many times more over there than here and people commit suicide over low entrance exams. They have exams to get into junior and high schools so the pressure is immense. Of course I disapprove their actions but just saying some of them probably thought they had to do it. The part about a lady taking 7 diff tests also shows how unsecure the test centers are there - or how the people can be bribed i suppose.

I think that's the problem - that they thought they HAD to do cheat.....no, they didn't. Nobody was pointing a gun at their heads and threatened them to cheat. They had a choice and they chose the wrong path and they got punished. It's sad because those who were banned probably only represent like 1~5% of people who cheated and got away with it.

I don't care where these people are from, but I don't think they should be banned for 5 years - I think they should be banned for life and I don't think that's harsh at all. Those who come up with excuses to cheat shouldn't deserve seats in business schools.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Interesting, indeed. I saw another post from the same city on Gmatclub. The person raised his or her score from ~350 to 700. I can clearly see that the post of the person is full of grammar mistakes. Something doesn't seem right.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
someone79 wrote:
Interesting, indeed. I saw another post from the same city on Gmatclub. The person raised his or her score from ~350 to 700. I can clearly see that the post of the person is full of grammar mistakes. Something doesn't seem right.

Hmmmmmm. ~350 to 700? That does sound fishy. I wonder whether schools will take scores from those cities and countries with a grain of salt someday.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
someone79 wrote:

You mean this one? from-360-to-700-q49v37-128273.html
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Looks quite close. If someone doesn't know the difference between "thankful" and "thank full", it would surely raise concerns. The more I read the posting of the person, the more it made me believe that with such English skills, 700 is impossible.

1. I should be thank full to you -- from-360-to-700-q49v37-128273.html#p1050821

2. Confidence,concentration and staying calm is very essential for GMAT -- wow! this is the first rule of any SC book. x, y,z equals to "are"

3. For Gmat all you need is concentration and confidence -- again the same error.

4. I am very thank full to Gmat club without which i am nothing.

5. Confidence and calm in last moment is very important for writing your test

Every line of the person is filled with errors. I can understand the 360 score, but with English like that, I find it hard to believe 700 score. Either the post is incorrect and the person is just imagining the score, or there is something very very wrong.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
someone79 wrote:
Looks quite close. If someone doesn't know the difference between "thankful" and "thank full", it would surely raise concerns. The more I read the posting of the person, the more it made me believe that with such English skills, 700 is impossible.

1. I should be thank full to you -- from-360-to-700-q49v37-128273.html#p1050821

2. Confidence,concentration and staying calm is very essential for GMAT -- wow! this is the first rule of any SC book. x, y,z equals to "are"

3. For Gmat all you need is concentration and confidence -- again the same error.

4. I am very thank full to Gmat club without which i am nothing.

5. Confidence and calm in last moment is very important for writing your test

Every line of the person is filled with errors. I can understand the 360 score, but with English like that, I find it hard to believe 700 score. Either the post is incorrect and the person is just imagining the score, or there is something very very wrong.

I personally would love to see his/her AWA scores. :)

Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 531 [0]
Given Kudos: 4092
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 620 Q47 V30
GMAT 3: 650 Q48 V31
GPA: 3.1
WE:Corporate Finance (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Just read this... Okay !! Major troubles... I'll sleep on this :)

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot