Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 22:21 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 22:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

How cloose is this question to the Real GMAT or Official Guide?

0% [0]
16% [2]
33% [4]
41% [5]
8% [1]
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72862 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3825 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 951 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Life
Schools:Hard Knocks
 Q47  V42
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3077 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Re: GMAT Club Experimental SC 2-2 [#permalink]
Kudos
bb wrote:
Hello everyone. Another Round of questions - this time from a different test writer.
Similar feedback request as before - how close is the question to the real GMAT? And, what recommendation for improvement would you give to the test writer? Please Vote.

2. The Non-governmental Organizations (NGOs), expelled from Sudan, provided much of the food, water and medicine to the 2.75m refugees who live in temporary camps in Darfur.
A. The Non-governmental Organizations (NGOs), expelled from Sudan, provided much of the
B. The Non-governmental Organizations (NGOs), which were expelled from Sudan, provided much of the
C. The Non-governmental Organizations (NGOs) that expelled from Sudan provided much of
D. The Non-governmental Organizations (NGOs) that were expelled from Sudan had provided much of
E. The Non-governmental Organizations (NGOs) that were expelled from Sudan provided much of the

I will go with D

A, B are out.
It is ambiguous who provide much of water ..etc?? NGOs or Sudan.

C -- out.
NGOs were expelled from Sudan <by Sudan Goverment>
Sudan Govt expelled NGOS from Sudan.

D, E remains.

D make sense logically..
NGO's provided water.. etc.. before.. they expelled.
So "had provided" --> CORRECT.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 90 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
bb wrote:
Hello everyone. Another Round of questions - this time from a different test writer.
Similar feedback request as before - how close is the question to the real GMAT? And, what recommendation for improvement would you give to the test writer? Please Vote.

2. The Non-governmental Organizations (NGOs), expelled from Sudan, provided much of the food, water and medicine to the 2.75m refugees who live in temporary camps in Darfur.
A. The Non-governmental Organizations (NGOs), expelled from Sudan, provided much of the
B. The Non-governmental Organizations (NGOs), which were expelled from Sudan, provided much of the
C. The Non-governmental Organizations (NGOs) that expelled from Sudan provided much of
D. The Non-governmental Organizations (NGOs) that were expelled from Sudan had provided much of
E. The Non-governmental Organizations (NGOs) that were expelled from Sudan provided much of the

A in my opinion.

A clearly states that the NGOs provided much of the help to the refugees. "Expelled from Sudan" is a non essential modifier, set off my comma.

B is not wrong but wordy.

C is grammatically not correct.

D - no need to use past perfect.

E - sounds like only those who helped the refugees have been expelled. Rest are allowed to stay. D also has this problem.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
My answer is E

It's between B and E but I think that there needs to be one more kink that separates the two answer choices cause neither sentence is grammatically incorrect. It has more to do with the intended meaning and that would depend on the tone/intent of the person. GMAT questions test grammar and logic but never tone or intent.

2/5 :(.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2918 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
 Q50  V40
Send PM
E.

In A, although grammatically correct, the sentence does not make sense. Did "expelling" and "providing" happen at the same time?! "had provided" would be better.

btw, both A and B have the same meaning.

Again, very good question.
bb wrote:

Originally posted by seofah on 21 Mar 2009, 06:20.
Last edited by seofah on 21 Mar 2009, 06:27, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2918 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
 Q50  V40
Send PM
Legend wrote:
My answer is E

It's between B and E but I think that there needs to be one more kink that separates the two answer choices cause neither sentence is grammatically incorrect. It has more to do with the intended meaning and that would depend on the tone/intent of the person. GMAT questions test grammar and logic but never tone or intent.

2/5 :(.

Legend, I believe the hardest GMAT questions increasing test the intended meaning. Sometimes, grammatically correct, the most clear and concise choice makes little sense.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72862 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Thank you for your feedback. Again the goal here is to give the writer as much feedback for improvement as possible to write these questions closest to the GMAT.
Here are the OA and Explanation - would be fantastic if you could post your feel for the difficulty of this question - let's just put on a level between 600 and 800 - that will of course vary by each test-taker but still:

Below 600
600-650
650-700
700-750
750+

OA: E:

The sentence requires a restrictive clause, which is in E – the best answer.

A and B - are wrong as they both are non-restricted clauses.
C - lacks clarity about who were expelled. It also lacks “the”, the definite article, to make sure the items distributed to the 270m refuges.
D - Past perfect tense in D is not required to express a single event in the past. A simple past tense is sufficient.
E - is in simple past and a restrictive clause clearly express that “Much of the food, water and medicine to the 2.75m refugees who live in temporary camps in Darfur were provided by “The NGOs” that were expelled from Sudan”.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1952 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q49  V41
Send PM
bb,

I just googled this sentence as it is and it is coming from some one's blog. I just don't find it appealing if sentence correction Q's are made out of Joe Schmoe's blog.

I understand that GC wants to develop good verbal Q's but do you have any rules on where the sentences can come from and where they cannot come from? For example the previous questions (1-*) came from Wiki and a single article may be written/modified by many people.

I agree with the need for that because we are talking about NGO's that were expelled.

I clearly see two events here in the past. expelled and provided and they did not happen at the same time.

The act of providing supplies happened until the explusion.

What I find even more amusing is that the OE says there is only one event??

The OE for E uses a passive voice and provides it as a justification?? I don't get it

Edit: After reading another similar Q from the same writer, this one also makes more sense.

Can the test writer confirm whether overlap of two events in the past does not require Past Perfect?

IIRC, Past Perfect should be used when two events happened in the past. Does this explicitly mean that one event started, it completed and then the second event happened after the first event and there is no overlap of events ( happening together ) what so ever?? Can some one shed more light on this?

In this Q, the final act of provision and the expulsion seem to overlap.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 90 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
icandy wrote:
bb,

I just googled this sentence as it is and it is coming from some one's blog. I just don't find it appealing if sentence correction Q's are made out of Joe Schmoe's blog.

I understand that GC wants to develop good verbal Q's but do you have any rules on where the sentences can come from and where they cannot come from? For example the previous questions (1-*) came from Wiki and a single article may be written/modified by many people.

I agree with the need for that because we are talking about NGO's that were expelled.

I clearly see two events here in the past. expelled and provided and they did not happen at the same time.

The act of providing supplies happened until the explusion.

What I find even more amusing is that the OE says there is only one event??

The OE for E uses a passive voice and provides it as a justification?? I don't get it

Edit: After reading another similar Q from the same writer, this one also makes more sense.

Can the test writer confirm whether overlap of two events in the past does not require Past Perfect?

IIRC, Past Perfect should be used when two events happened in the past. Does this explicitly mean that one event started, it completed and then the second event happened after the first event and there is no overlap of events ( happening together ) what so ever?? Can some one shed more light on this?

In this Q, the final act of provision and the expulsion seem to overlap.

After reading botivroy's and your explanation, I too agree that a "past perfect" must be used here. I also don't think that "restrictive clause" is needed here. Issue of "past perfect" aside, E tells me that only those NGOs that provided food, water and medicine were expelled. Rest were allowed to stay.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Good question to test the 'restrictive clause' application. But from the discussion i see that the usage of 'Past perfect' may also make this one grammatically correct. But the usage of past perfect may destroy author's intended meaning.

My initial answer was A. Then after reading the explanations I will go with E. So this question is beyond my range and i was a 680. I rate this one 700+ difficulty.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1546 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Send PM
"that' is necessary. Not all NGOs expelled from Sudan. Also, we not need past perfect. Choice E is my final choice.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 974 [0]
Given Kudos: 264
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Send PM
+1 E
not D because no requirement to show the sequence of two events mentioned
A & B are non-essential modifiers whereas the sentence demands one
c incorrect grammer..

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Sentence Correction (EA only) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
Current Student
278 posts