Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 10:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Club Experimental SC 2-5

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

How cloose is this question to the Real GMAT or Official Guide?

You may select 1 option
Author Message
TAGS:
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
User avatar
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 12349
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2326

Kudos [?]: 9467 [0], given: 3702

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
GMAT Club Experimental SC 2-5 [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2009, 01:07
Expert's post
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 100% (00:00) wrong based on 5 sessions
Hello everyone. Another Round of questions - this time from a different test writer. (In case you missed postings ealier this week - we are evaluating several test writers to create a set of GMAT Club's verbal tests and need your help!
Similar feedback request as before - how close is the question to the real GMAT? And, what recommendation for improvement would you give to the test writer? Please Vote.




As the booming industries of recent years from construction to finance is unlikely to bounce back, millions of people from Wall Street bankers to Chinese migrants should find wholly different lines of work.
A. As the booming industries of recent years from construction to finance is unlikely to bounce back, millions of people from Wall Street bankers to Chinese migrants should
B. The booming industries of recent years from construction to finance will not bounce back; millions of people from Wall Street bankers to Chinese migrants should
C. Just as the booming industries of recent years from construction to finance will not bounce back, millions of people from Wall Street bankers to Chinese migrants have to
D. Since the booming industries of recent years from construction to finance will not bounce back, millions of people from Wall Street bankers to Chinese migrants will need to
E. Since the booming industries of recent years from construction to finance is not likely to bounce back, millions of people from Wall Street bankers to Chinese migrants need to

_________________

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 Jul 2007
Posts: 286
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT Club Experimental SC 2-5 [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2009, 12:48
bb wrote:
Hello everyone. Another Round of questions - this time from a different test writer. (In case you missed postings ealier this week - we are evaluating several test writers to create a set of GMAT Club's verbal tests and need your help!
Similar feedback request as before - how close is the question to the real GMAT? And, what recommendation for improvement would you give to the test writer? Please Vote.




As the booming industries of recent years from construction to finance is unlikely to bounce back, millions of people from Wall Street bankers to Chinese migrants should find wholly different lines of work.
A. As the booming industries of recent years from construction to finance is unlikely to bounce back, millions of people from Wall Street bankers to Chinese migrants should
B. The booming industries of recent years from construction to finance will not bounce back; millions of people from Wall Street bankers to Chinese migrants should
C. Just as the booming industries of recent years from construction to finance will not bounce back, millions of people from Wall Street bankers to Chinese migrants have to
D. Since the booming industries of recent years from construction to finance will not bounce back, millions of people from Wall Street bankers to Chinese migrants will need to
E. Since the booming industries of recent years from construction to finance is not likely to bounce back, millions of people from Wall Street bankers to Chinese migrants need to


D in my opinion.

A - uses "is" instead of "are"
B - "will not" sound very rigid and extreme.
C - I'm not sure about the "Just as" usage. Also, this choice misses "will" before "have to".
D - Correct one.
E - misses "will" before "have to".

A suggestion for the test writer - for this question, a comparison between since/because would have been more appropriate. With the choices as is, this is a very easy question (unless I'm missing something).
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 03 Apr 2007
Posts: 55
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 1

Re: GMAT Club Experimental SC 2-5 [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2009, 03:23
My answer is D

Just wish to point out that 'since' cannot replace 'because. Since refers to time. 'Since the past 3 years ....' or 'since we last met'.

2/5 :(
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 07 Nov 2007
Posts: 1829
Location: New York
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 472 [0], given: 5

Re: GMAT Club Experimental SC 2-5 [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2009, 04:02
Legend wrote:
My answer is D

Just wish to point out that 'since' cannot replace 'because. Since refers to time. 'Since the past 3 years ....' or 'since we last met'.

2/5 :(


Since has multiple functions:

since   /sɪns/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [sins] Show IPA
–adverb 1. from then till now (often prec. by ever): He was elected in 1978 and has been president ever since.
2. between a particular past time and the present; subsequently: She at first refused, but has since consented.
3. ago; before now: long since.

–preposition 4. continuously from or counting from: It has been warm since noon.
5. between a past time or event and the present: There have been many changes since the war.

–conjunction 6. in the period following the time when: He has written once since he left.
7. continuously from or counting from the time when: He has been busy since he came.
8. because; inasmuch as: Since you're already here, you might as well stay.


In this question, since act as conjunction (because)


even "for" --> can act as conjunction ("because") some times
_________________

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 Jul 2007
Posts: 286
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT Club Experimental SC 2-5 [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2009, 05:13
x2suresh wrote:
Legend wrote:
My answer is D

Just wish to point out that 'since' cannot replace 'because. Since refers to time. 'Since the past 3 years ....' or 'since we last met'.

2/5 :(


Since has multiple functions:

since   /sɪns/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [sins] Show IPA
–adverb 1. from then till now (often prec. by ever): He was elected in 1978 and has been president ever since.
2. between a particular past time and the present; subsequently: She at first refused, but has since consented.
3. ago; before now: long since.

–preposition 4. continuously from or counting from: It has been warm since noon.
5. between a past time or event and the present: There have been many changes since the war.

–conjunction 6. in the period following the time when: He has written once since he left.
7. continuously from or counting from the time when: He has been busy since he came.
8. because; inasmuch as: Since you're already here, you might as well stay.


In this question, since act as conjunction (because)


even "for" --> can act as conjunction ("because") some times



that's what I had meant. Suresh, thanks for taking pains to elaborate the usage of "since".
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Mar 2009
Posts: 138
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT Club Experimental SC 2-5 [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2009, 10:24
Went for D too.

And I agree, introduction of Due to, because of would have made it a little more complicated.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 29 Aug 2005
Posts: 881
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 7

Re: GMAT Club Experimental SC 2-5 [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2009, 04:26
To discuss D:
I am not sure whether in real life (and I suspect in the GMAT world) we use future tense in this way. Sentence would make more sense if we'd use a simple present in the second part of the sentence.

The sentence is saying "the problem is already there and will stay there for some time. So, we need to do blah blah blah".
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 05 Jul 2008
Posts: 1435
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 226 [1] , given: 1

Re: GMAT Club Experimental SC 2-5 [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2009, 20:48
1
This post received
KUDOS
botirvoy wrote:
To discuss D:
I am not sure whether in real life (and I suspect in the GMAT world) we use future tense in this way. Sentence would make more sense if we'd use a simple present in the second part of the sentence.

The sentence is saying "the problem is already there and will stay there for some time. So, we need to do blah blah blah".



This sentence is a much better and closer to GMAT (or) Is it because I feel so?

Any way, A & E clearly have S-V disagreement. C has idiom issue and actually no need for Just as X so Y.

B & D remain.

Should/must cannot be used unless it is some thing like a rule by a court or act of congress

D remains

@botirvoy,

The sentence is extending what you are saying into future. because x & Y will not happen for some time in future, we will have to do some thing else. By using present tense we will restrict that action.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
User avatar
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 12349
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2326

Kudos [?]: 9467 [1] , given: 3702

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Club Experimental SC 2-5 [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2009, 20:50
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Here are the OA and Explanation - would be fantastic if you could post your feel for the difficulty of this question - let's just put on a level between 600 and 800 - that will of course vary by each test-taker but still:

Below 600
600-650
650-700
700-750
750+

OA: D

The correct answer is D. “should” in A and B, “have to” in C and “need to” in E change the meaning of the sentence and make the sentence more stronger than the sentence with “will not”. “unlikely” in A is less preferred than “not likely” in E, however E is the most strongest in terms of predicting the trends in various industries. B correctly uses to independent clauses but changes the meaning. C: “just as ..., noun ” in C is not a correct idiom. “Since’ in D is used as “for” or “because”, so it shows a cause-effect relationship.
_________________

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 29 Aug 2005
Posts: 881
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 7

Re: GMAT Club Experimental SC 2-5 [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2009, 07:17
bb,

It would be good to have the OE's more consistent, for example the way it is done in OG. Currently, it is not the case and it is sometimes difficult to follow the explanations.

On a separate note, I am currently refraining from opining on the difficulty of questions as I think it would not be a meaningful exercise while the questions are still in development stage; a small change can be a difference between a 600 or 700-level question.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 19 May 2008
Posts: 165
Location: Mumbai
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT Club Experimental SC 2-5 [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2009, 07:40
A. As the booming industries of recent years from construction to finance is unlikely to bounce back, millions of people from Wall Street bankers to Chinese migrants should
is unlikely to bounce back... should is not correct[color=#0000FF][/color]
B. The booming industries of recent years from construction to finance will not bounce back; millions of people from Wall Street bankers to Chinese migrants should
will not bounce back.... should is not correct
C. Just as the booming industries of recent years from construction to finance will not bounce back, millions of people from Wall Street bankers to Chinese migrants have to
have to is not correct
D. Since the booming industries of recent years from construction to finance will not bounce back, millions of people from Wall Street bankers to Chinese migrants will need to
will not bounce back.... will need to is most apt
E. Since the booming industries of recent years from construction to finance is not likely to bounce back, millions of people from Wall Street bankers to Chinese migrants need to
is not likely.... need to is not correct
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 20 Jan 2011
Posts: 65
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 8

Re: GMAT Club Experimental SC 2-5 [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2011, 22:44
Though the sentence is lengthy, i think most of the people who completed 1 round of prep will get this correct. So the difficulty band would be 650 - 700. I got this right and i scored 680 in the first attempt.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 20 Jan 2011
Posts: 65
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 8

Re: GMAT Club Experimental SC 2-5 [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2011, 22:57
Hey bb,

Are you also planning to include "Meaning" oriented questions? It will great to practise by reviewing those questions
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
Status: Flying over the cloud!
Joined: 16 Aug 2011
Posts: 818
Location: Viet Nam
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 241 [0], given: 43

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Club Experimental SC 2-5 [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2011, 02:25
Got wrong, this sentence looks simple but is the huge attack to one who lacks of tense principle like me. Thank bb for explanation.
_________________

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Re: GMAT Club Experimental SC 2-5   [#permalink] 09 Dec 2011, 02:25
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic GMAT Club Experimental SC 2-6 bb 14 19 Mar 2009, 01:12
2 Experts publish their posts in the topic GMAT Club Experimental SC 2-4 bb 7 19 Mar 2009, 01:05
2 Experts publish their posts in the topic GMAT Club Experimental SC 2-3 bb 7 19 Mar 2009, 01:02
3 Experts publish their posts in the topic GMAT Club Experimental SC 2-2 bb 13 19 Mar 2009, 00:59
5 Experts publish their posts in the topic GMAT Club Experimental SC 2-1 bb 26 19 Mar 2009, 00:57
Display posts from previous: Sort by

GMAT Club Experimental SC 2-5

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.