Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 03:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Club's Health & Fitness Thread

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Director
Director
User avatar
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Joined: 16 Dec 2010
Posts: 667
Location: United States (CA)
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 119 [0], given: 4

Premium Member
Re: GMAT Club's Health & Fitness Thread [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2013, 09:16
MaxReilly wrote:
What are everyone's thoughts on the best extracurricular sport that doesn't involve a team/varsity ex: marathon running etc...

At the moment I'm a bodybuilder, but I'll never get to a level where I would compete, so I'm looking for alternatives that would look extra-ordinary on an application.


Marathons/triathlons aren't that unusual among MBA students so I doubt they'd really stand out on a resume. You said you're looking for something that doesn't involve a team, but do you have any interest in playing rugby? Despite its barbaric-looking nature, plenty of corporate-types play well into their 40s and 50s so it's got a big upside on the networking side in addition to being a very social sport that's a lot of fun to play. And you could potentially take on an officer role within the club or head up a community service effort or something like that, which wouldn't hurt on an application.

If you're near a big city they should have a handful of club teams at all experience levels so you could start playing even if you've never watched a match before.
_________________

http://www.militarytobusiness.com/

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 Jul 2013
Posts: 7
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: GMAT Club's Health & Fitness Thread [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2013, 16:24
EBM wrote:
MaxReilly wrote:
What are everyone's thoughts on the best extracurricular sport that doesn't involve a team/varsity ex: marathon running etc...

At the moment I'm a bodybuilder, but I'll never get to a level where I would compete, so I'm looking for alternatives that would look extra-ordinary on an application.


Marathons/triathlons aren't that unusual among MBA students so I doubt they'd really stand out on a resume. You said you're looking for something that doesn't involve a team, but do you have any interest in playing rugby? Despite its barbaric-looking nature, plenty of corporate-types play well into their 40s and 50s so it's got a big upside on the networking side in addition to being a very social sport that's a lot of fun to play. And you could potentially take on an officer role within the club or head up a community service effort or something like that, which wouldn't hurt on an application.

If you're near a big city they should have a handful of club teams at all experience levels so you could start playing even if you've never watched a match before.



Thanks for the suggestion! I actually played rugby for a half dozen years when I was younger, and it would definitely be good for networking. However I'm more looking for something that makes my application stand out. eg: the admissions officers talking about "that guy who runs marathons" except better than marathons.
Expert Post
VP
VP
avatar
Status: Yale SOM!
Joined: 06 Feb 2012
Posts: 1252
Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 412 [0], given: 245

Premium Member
Re: GMAT Club's Health & Fitness Thread [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2013, 17:38
Expert's post
MaxReilly wrote:
EBM wrote:
MaxReilly wrote:
What are everyone's thoughts on the best extracurricular sport that doesn't involve a team/varsity ex: marathon running etc...

At the moment I'm a bodybuilder, but I'll never get to a level where I would compete, so I'm looking for alternatives that would look extra-ordinary on an application.


Marathons/triathlons aren't that unusual among MBA students so I doubt they'd really stand out on a resume. You said you're looking for something that doesn't involve a team, but do you have any interest in playing rugby? Despite its barbaric-looking nature, plenty of corporate-types play well into their 40s and 50s so it's got a big upside on the networking side in addition to being a very social sport that's a lot of fun to play. And you could potentially take on an officer role within the club or head up a community service effort or something like that, which wouldn't hurt on an application.

If you're near a big city they should have a handful of club teams at all experience levels so you could start playing even if you've never watched a match before.



Thanks for the suggestion! I actually played rugby for a half dozen years when I was younger, and it would definitely be good for networking. However I'm more looking for something that makes my application stand out. eg: the admissions officers talking about "that guy who runs marathons" except better than marathons.


Individual activities: golf, surfing, sailing, martial arts ... Not sure how much those are unique in the grand scheme of things, but you can make those activities add to your story
_________________

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 20 Nov 2012
Posts: 6
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: GMAT Club's Health & Fitness Thread [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2013, 10:05
Anyone got a good workout routine and diet for a beginner?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 04 Jan 2014
Posts: 6
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT Club's Health & Fitness Thread [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2014, 10:09
ForeverCanuck wrote:
Anyone got a good workout routine and diet for a beginner?


It depends on what kind of situation you are in . If you need to gain weight then a 4day workout routine is something I would stick too (I still stick to a 4 days workout routine ).

If you need to loose weight then the normal 6day routine is good .

You can check out a site name bodybuilding-.-com , they have some amazing plans over there . you can start off with any of them in the beginners section .
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 May 2014
Posts: 5
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT Club's Health & Fitness Thread [#permalink] New post 18 May 2014, 00:21
Nice thread, good information. Thanks
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 Jan 2014
Posts: 8
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT Date: 04-28-2014
WE: Information Technology (Insurance)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: GMAT Club's Health & Fitness Thread [#permalink] New post 20 May 2014, 11:18
Has anyone tried the amiigo fitness tracker? Want to hear opinions before I commit to buying it.
Re: GMAT Club's Health & Fitness Thread   [#permalink] 20 May 2014, 11:18
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Experts publish their posts in the topic GMAT Club Tests Master Threads - Quantitative Tests Bunuel 0 16 Sep 2014, 01:31
13 Experts publish their posts in the topic GMAT Club Tests Master Threads - All Tests bb 31 17 May 2009, 13:48
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic GMAT Club Ads Master Thread ritula 17 04 Feb 2009, 10:27
Slow loading GMAT Club threads djhouse81 2 04 Apr 2008, 05:03
Gmat Club - Chat Thread! riverripper 55 31 Aug 2007, 15:40
Display posts from previous: Sort by

GMAT Club's Health & Fitness Thread

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   [ 147 posts ] 



cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.