Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 11 Jul 2014, 20:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Club's Health & Fitness Thread

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2134

Kudos [?]: 7282 [1] , given: 3618

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Club's Health & Fitness Thread [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2011, 23:27
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
I am thrilled and proud to report that I have done 1 session of Cross Fit this week.
I hurt in some very interesting places.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE: Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 61

Kudos [?]: 262 [0], given: 86

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: GMAT Club's Health & Fitness Thread [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2011, 18:00
My current status: 7/1/11 - Tested max deadlift today at 305 lbs. I need to work this into my routine more often if I'm going to hit 400 lbs. this year.
*1/5/12 - I did hit 400 lbs. on deadlift in 2011, and I hit a total of 1,000 lbs. across bench, squat, and deadlift. Not bad work for all the distractions of being an MBA1 :)

Av's Fitness Goal Tracker
GoalsStatus
1. Complete the 12-Week Bulking RoutineStarted the program 4/11/11.
2. Reduce body fat to 10% or lessNot going to happen this summer.
3. Increase lean muscle mass by 20 lbs.+15 lbs. total bodyweight
4. Increase bench press (5 reps) by 40 lbs.Done!
5. Increase squat (6 reps) by another 75 lbs.New Max of 300 lbs. on 6/7/11

New Goals for 2012
  • Finish Tough Mudder in middle position or better - 11 mile race with 23 obstacles (February 2012).
  • Achieve powerlifting milestone of 300lb. bench, 400lb. squat, and 500lb. deadlift.
  • Get bigger, badder, leaner, and meaner.

Routine (4-day split with alternating sets and reps for muscle confusion)
  • Monday - Upper Body A
  • Tuesday - Lower Body A
  • Wednesday - Rest/Cardio
  • Thursday - Upper Body B
  • Friday - Lower Body B

*1/5/12 - I saw the biggest increases in strength and size when I switched over to a modified version of Layne Norton's Power + HST Training. It took about 2 weeks for my body to adapt to the high volume and heavy weights, but I was lifting pretty heavy before I started: http://www.simplyshredded.com/mega-feat ... -2011.html

1000 lb. Club - My Progress (Current Weight/Target Weight)
  • Bench Press: [strike]203/250 (6/20/11)[/strike] 255 lbs. (12/26/11)
  • Squat: [strike]300/350 (6/7/11)[/strike] 345 lbs. (12/30/11)
  • Deadlift: [strike]305/400 (7/1/11)[/strike] 400 lbs. (12/27/11)
  • Total: [strike]808/1000[/strike] 1,000 lbs. (12/30/11)

Diet
  • [strike]Targeting 3000-3500 calories per day with lean meats (chicken, fish, turkey, and lean beef), healthy carbs, and minimal sugars. I'm avoiding fast food whenever possible. Daily intake of ~200g of protein.[/strike]
  • [strike]Combining the Power 12 food groups from the Abs Diet with the Leangains Intermittent Fasting Protocol (4 weeks and re-evaluate).[/strike]
  • 1/5/12 - Eating as close to 3000 calories per day as I can. Diet is probably hardest aspect of my training to control in business school.

Supplements
Eating and sleeping are at least as important as your workout, if not more so. Although I try to get as many nutrients as possible from food, I rely on a few supplements to decrease my recovery time and make my nutritional goals easier to meet.
  • [strike]Gainer (morning and bedtime): 24g Casein, 12g Whey, 1 cup milk, 1 cup oatmeal, 2tbsp peanut butter, and 1 banana blended to deliciousness.[/strike]
  • [strike]Multivitamin[/strike]
  • [strike]Fish Oil[/strike]
  • [strike]ZMA at bedtime for deeper sleep[/strike]
  • [strike]Optimum Nutrition Whey Protein (Pre-and-post-workout)[/strike]
  • [strike]Optimum Nutrition Casein Protein (Slow-digesting protein used in my morning and bedtime shakes)[/strike]
  • [strike]Optimum Nutrition Micronized CreaPure Creatine Monohydrate (Time-tested safe supplement that is amazingly effective)[/strike]
  • [strike]MusclePharm Assualt (Pre-workout: Mostly caffeine and my least important supplement)[/strike]
  • [strike]MusclePharm Recon (Post-workout: Good blend to reduce soreness, but tastes like garbage juice)[/strike]
  • Jack3d Pre-workout - stopping pre-workout usage as I start cardio conditioning for Tough Mudder.
  • Scivation Xtend BCAAs Intraworkout for muscle recovery
  • Myofusion protein blend - switching back to higher quality casein - probably order some more ZMA too.

Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.37
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 150 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Club's Health & Fitness Thread [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2011, 17:13
Hey Av, nice post. I was joking to one of my friends yesterday, wondering 'how much weight Ill gain between now and submitting my applications'.
Director
Director

Re: GMAT Club's Health & Fitness Thread [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2011, 17:26
jko wrote:
Hey Av, nice post. I was joking to one of my friends yesterday, wondering 'how much weight Ill gain between now and submitting my applications'.

Post some goals, so we can hold you to them :)

Director
Director

Re: GMAT Club's Health & Fitness Thread [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2011, 05:46
jko wrote:
Av wrote:
Post some goals, so we can hold you to them :)

Hm, ok.

Well, my biggest concern is that I'll stop doing the activities I enjoy in order to make time for studying and applications, so my goals would be to make sure I go on at least 2 decent rides per week (40 miles +), and to make sure I go climbing 3x a week.

However, I think we can both agree that those are relatively boring goals to track progress for...

So lets say for biking:
Get my 40 mile time to 2.5 hours (which is what I was doing it last year, before winter kicked in)
Achieving that, get it down to 2.2 hours (more of a challenge)

For climbing:
Lead-climb a 5.10 outdoors
Achieving that, a 5.11.

Great goals! I'm looking forward to seeing your progress.

I'm still on a legs-only routine, but I should be back to the 4 day schedule next week, with a brief break the following week for GBR at Michigan.

Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Club's Health & Fitness Thread [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2011, 19:27
Quote:
Another goal is to avoid junk food completely and to limit sweets to once a week... I never ate a lot of that stuff before, but recently I've been eating them consistently. I've found that once you start, it's hard to stop.

Ah nice.

Yeah, it's been about 7 years since the last time I had two sodas within 30 days of eachother. But I eat too many donuts and chocolates etc. haha.

You're definitely right though, if you havent had any recently, you dont get that craving. But the more sweets you eat, the more you want.
Director
Director

Re: GMAT Club's Health & Fitness Thread [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2011, 19:32
It's great to see more people posting their goals. Welcome to the Health & Fitness Group!!!

:boxer2

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Re: GMAT Club's Health & Fitness Thread [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2011, 14:00
Quote:
abandoned our health and fitness goals

It doesn't help being in a bike accident either. So, for me being prior military I plan on attending B-School and train for a marathon. By the time I walk across that stage and shake the Dean's hand and give out a loud Boo-yah!, I will also jog across that finish line.
Director
Director

Re: GMAT Club's Health & Fitness Thread [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2011, 18:24
Today was my first day back in the upper body routine and it felt great. I went easy on triceps, but I think I'm fully recovered now.

I can't wait for tomorrow. I'm going for another 20 lbs. on squat (+40 lbs. overall)!

Has anyone started their challenge(s) yet?

Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Club's Health & Fitness Thread [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2011, 18:37
I wanted to go for a ride on Sunday, but the snow killed that...

Hopefully next weekend. Or Wednesday/Friday.
Intern
Intern
WE 1: 6 years
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 2

Re: GMAT Club's Health & Fitness Thread [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2011, 19:31
I started mine as well. Had 3 cardio and 2 weight training sessions last week. This week, i dont expect much workouts as i am shifting to another house, so packing and stuff going on. To cover up for that, i am not going to take elevator at my work (my office at first floor; cafeteria at fourth) and at my home (ninth floor). I'm also planning to carry most of the packed boxes myself :)
Director
Director

Re: GMAT Club's Health & Fitness Thread [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2011, 10:59
Entwistle wrote:
Av wrote:
Has anyone started their challenge(s) yet?

I have! I got myself enrolled in a gym! They had an awesome offer - 3 months of personal training for Rs. 8000/- (that's like $180) :beer:

It's workout time!

Great job!

Director
Director

Re: GMAT Club's Health & Fitness Thread [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2011, 18:36
I killed it in legs today and progressively added 55 lbs. to last week's squat weight. Since I've already hit my +75 lbs. target, I think I'm going to shoot for +150 lbs. overall by the end of July. I have no idea what's fueling these gains...

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 17

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Club's Health & Fitness Thread [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2011, 14:01
Great advice. Funny though, I actually STARTED (from the couch) at interval and I nearly killed myself (Heart BPM was at like 180+). I was planning to pick it up after I had some sense of fitness regained. Thanks for the reminder!
Director
Director

Re: GMAT Club's Health & Fitness Thread [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2011, 19:30
I started my new 12 week bulking routine today, along with my entire stack of supplements. The routine feels great, but I picked up a cold and a 100 degree fever over the weekend, so hopefully that doesn't sit me out for the next few days. I need to get smarter about spacing out my supplements post-workout too. I may have swallowed a gallon of liquid in the past two hours :sick:

Anyone else making good progress on their goals?

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Club's Health & Fitness Thread [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2011, 19:52
Av wrote:
I started my new 12 week bulking routine today, along with my entire stack of supplements. The routine feels great, but I picked up a cold and a 100 degree fever over the weekend, so hopefully that doesn't sit me out for the next few days. I need to get smarter about spacing out my supplements post-workout too. I may have swallowed a gallon of liquid in the past two hours :sick:

Anyone else making good progress on their goals?

I know how you feel sort of. Been doin the 3 mi/4days/week thing as above and this Sunday I step out of my car and JACK my ankle/foot up. Hurts to walk, now reduced to limping. More time in the chair in study position but yea, had some good momentum and now chair-ridden. Such is life.

Also, to Av and all who use whey protein, I just read there are silly amounts of heavy metals in almost all brands of whey protein powders. Just a word of warning. I was pretty shocked myself. Some resources below.

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/news/ ... thy-metals

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-media ... F8&index=0
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: GMAT Club's Health & Fitness Thread [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2011, 14:03
I really like interval cardio training. It really helps me cut fat quickly. It's really intense, but the results are worth it.

http://gmat.friedwires.com - Fried Wires GMAT Tips blog.

Current Student
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 295

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Club's Health & Fitness Thread [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2011, 14:06
bdunndchi wrote:
I really like interval cardio training. It really helps me cut fat quickly. It's really intense, but the results are worth it.

Hey bdunndchi, I tried doing that, but I'm not sure what the optimal intervals levels should be. At what speeds do you set your hi/low and for how long each? I've been averaging 6.5mph at 4 mins and then 4.5 mphs at 1 min for a total duration of 30 minutes.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Club's Health & Fitness Thread [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2011, 08:12
speaking of heart rate monitors, any decent ones anyone recommends? I was just thinking of grabbing one off of Amazon, but there are like 10 within $30-50 price range.
Current Student
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 295

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Club's Health & Fitness Thread [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2011, 08:35
humphy wrote:
speaking of heart rate monitors, any decent ones anyone recommends? I was just thinking of grabbing one off of Amazon, but there are like 10 within $30-50 price range.

I've been looking at this one since yesterday: http://www.amazon.com/Isokinetics-Inc-H ... h_di_t_dup

It has positive reviews and is in the $30 range. I'm also interested in suggestions for better HRM devices too!
Re: GMAT Club's Health & Fitness Thread   [#permalink] 20 Apr 2011, 08:35