Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Jul 2014, 21:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Club Tests vs. Jeff Sackmann's Extreme Sets

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Club Tests vs. Jeff Sackmann's Extreme Sets [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2010, 23:23
Thoughts from people who have used both. What gives you wings to that top quant score?
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 176

Kudos [?]: 901 [0], given: 235

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: GMAT Club Tests vs. Jeff Sackmann's Extreme Sets [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2010, 23:31
Red Bull Gives you wings to fly!!

Jokes apart, Gmatclub quant tests are awesome and are quite affordable in comparison to extreme set. There is a difference between practicing an E-book and giving an online test(Even if not adaptive).
If you contribute to the gmatclub's community you can have free access.

check
gmat-tests-from-gmat-club-94362.html

You can try the 2 free tests and judge the level.

Jeff Sackmann's Extreme Sets are good too as per many users. I have not used them personally.

Try those 2 tests and then decide about the purchase.

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Gmat test review :
670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

Expert Post
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 84

Kudos [?]: 473 [0], given: 431

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: GMAT Club Tests vs. Jeff Sackmann's Extreme Sets [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2010, 18:09
Expert's post
I have used both - all of Sackmann's math sets and every GMATClub Test. These two resources are the best math practice available, without question. However, there is some difference beyond quantity and price considerations. Sackmann's materials start from the very, very beginning and gradually build up to 700-plus difficulty. GMATClub Tests pretty much start at the 700 mark and go from there. GMATClub Tests are excellent and extremely difficult, and that's what you need to get a top score.

I could not have scored so well on the quant section without both of them.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT Date: 10-22-2011
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Internet and New Media)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 12

Re: GMAT Club Tests vs. Jeff Sackmann's Extreme Sets [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2010, 08:38
thanks for these posts - thinking of buying some of these sets myself to really cement what i learned in mgmat - unfortunately there just aren't enough practice questions at the back of each mgmat chapter!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT Club Tests vs. Jeff Sackmann's Extreme Sets [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2010, 07:51
thanks for the posts! I have the complete extreme challenge and I intend to use all of them! OG is easy!
Intern
Intern
WE 1: IT Consulting - 5 Years

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 4

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Club Tests vs. Jeff Sackmann's Extreme Sets [#permalink] New post 18 May 2011, 06:36
Hi There,

Looking forward to some feedback on my question.

My GMAT is in another 4 weeks, and if I were to chose between Jeff Sackmann's 10 Challenge Sets (1000 questions and the GMAT Club's tests, which one would be recommended? I don't think i'll have time to attempt both.

A bit of a background - I have completed OG12 and the OG Review. I have reviewed the MGMAT Math series multiple times and am scoring at the 45 level on the MGMAT CATs. I seek to score in the 48-50 range in the actual GMAT and hence see the need for additional practice.

Regards,
Ari
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 473 [1] , given: 431

Re: GMAT Club Tests vs. Jeff Sackmann's Extreme Sets [#permalink] New post 18 May 2011, 13:21
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Due to your current skill level in math, maybe purchase Sackmann's Extreme Challenge set (about $25) and then move on to the GMATClub tests. This provides you with over 1,000 high-quality questions at an advanced level.

Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Club Tests vs. Jeff Sackmann's Extreme Sets [#permalink] New post 18 May 2011, 22:32
bmillan01, thanks for your response.

I think I will go with the extreme challenge set for now. I have in the past and still do struggle with timing for 700-800 level quant problems, so I hope to see an improvement after running through the EC set.

1000 problems will take some time to complete as well as analyze! Did you have a strategy for selecting problems here or did you just solve the whole lot?

Regards,
Ari
Expert Post
SVP
SVP

Re: GMAT Club Tests vs. Jeff Sackmann's Extreme Sets [#permalink] New post 19 May 2011, 02:16
Expert's post
I could only complete and review on GMATClub test per day. Those are very, very intense. Sackmann's Extreme Challenge set only took about two days to finish. If you're on a tight schedule, then start Sackmann right away and move on to the GMATClub tests. Try to do two a day. This will be quite stressful, but you really need to complete all 25 tests to fully benefit from them. Hope this helps! :)

Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Club Tests vs. Jeff Sackmann's Extreme Sets [#permalink] New post 19 May 2011, 06:25
bmillan01 wrote:
I could only complete and review on GMATClub test per day. Those are very, very intense. Sackmann's Extreme Challenge set only took about two days to finish. If you're on a tight schedule, then start Sackmann right away and move on to the GMATClub tests. Try to do two a day. This will be quite stressful, but you really need to complete all 25 tests to fully benefit from them. Hope this helps! :)

Thanks again for your reply. I guess I have my work cut out then, I'll get going with the EC set right away!
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 473 [1] , given: 431

Re: GMAT Club Tests vs. Jeff Sackmann's Extreme Sets [#permalink] New post 19 May 2011, 10:04
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Yes, your life will be quite busy with GMAT studies and nothing else! One word of caution, though: you will most likely answer many of these questions incorrectly. But that's okay. Just read all of the explanations (even for the right ones) and really try to understand the logic behind the questions. The explanations are extremely important and the most important questions are the ones you get wrong. Good luck!

Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Club Tests vs. Jeff Sackmann's Extreme Sets [#permalink] New post 22 May 2011, 09:27
Hey bmillan01, really need your advise again.

I am halfway through the EC problems and as predicted I did get quite a few wrong - 14 incorrect off 40 PS problems and 4 incorrect off 18 DS problems. I average slightly above 2 minutes for these problems, taking 3-4 minutes on a few occasions. Do you think I should step back and consider the individual subject wise challenge sets? Or should I proceed with the GMAT Club tests? I didn't find too much of a difference in difficulty level between the m25 GC test and the EC problems I've solved so far.

Also, I was disappointed at the disproportionate number of Probability questions on the EC set. There 21 Probability questions in the first 40 problems, of which I got 9 incorrect. Given the low number of Probability questions asked on the actual GMAT test, do you think it worth the effort strengthening this area by searching for Probability specific challenge sets? (I don't think GMAT Hack has one though)
Expert Post
SVP
SVP

Re: GMAT Club Tests vs. Jeff Sackmann's Extreme Sets [#permalink] New post 22 May 2011, 10:20
Expert's post
Wait until you completely finish the EC set and review your mistakes. It might still be too early to tell what's exactly going on. And remember: this is called "Extreme Challenge" for a reason! The probability and sets questions are a tad over-represented, but they supposedly appear more often at the 700-plus level. Sackmann does have a set specifically geared toward those two topics. It's actually very good, but if you're generally comfortable with probability and sets, then you can probably skip it. Just review the concepts and practice with some easier questions.

The GMATClub tests are more difficult than Sackmann's material. I say use them.

Your Manhattan math scores suggest that Sackmann and GMATClub represent the appropriate next step for you. How did you perform on the OG questions? If you did well on those too, then you should probably stick to your plan. However, it's not all about numbers. You know your situation better than anyone else. So if you feel that the Challenge sets or other resources might be a better option, then practice with those.

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [2] , given: 4

Re: GMAT Club Tests vs. Jeff Sackmann's Extreme Sets [#permalink] New post 22 May 2011, 21:55
This post received
KUDOS
bmillan01 wrote:
Wait until you completely finish the EC set and review your mistakes. It might still be too early to tell what's exactly going on. And remember: this is called "Extreme Challenge" for a reason! The probability and sets questions are a tad over-represented, but they supposedly appear more often at the 700-plus level. Sackmann does have a set specifically geared toward those two topics. It's actually very good, but if you're generally comfortable with probability and sets, then you can probably skip it. Just review the concepts and practice with some easier questions.

The GMATClub tests are more difficult than Sackmann's material. I say use them.

Your Manhattan math scores suggest that Sackmann and GMATClub represent the appropriate next step for you. How did you perform on the OG questions? If you did well on those too, then you should probably stick to your plan. However, it's not all about numbers. You know your situation better than anyone else. So if you feel that the Challenge sets or other resources might be a better option, then practice with those.

Thanks for your super quick response and for taking the time to respond to my queries. Your help is greatly appreciated.

I did complete and analyze all 100 EC problems; I landed up with a 72% percent success rate. What concerns me is that I got almost half the combinatorics and probability questions (34 in all) wrong. And what you say about the probability questions at the 700 level on the GMAT does make sense, so I will probably look for more practice from Sackmann to solidify what I learned here. Does the Word Problem challenge include probability?

I did fairly well with OG, about a 80% success rate. I used OG to primarily build the foundation of the concepts learned on the MGMAT guides, I also reviewed the solutions using the MGMAT OG Companion. So I guess the next step for me is to solidify a few weak areas at the 700 level and them go for the GMAT Club tests? As you would see with my low quant score in my last GMAT attempt, I don't want to take any chances this time.

By the way, I have a recommendation for those who're attempting the 100 EC problems - Split the PS & DS problems in half, attempt the first half, review all the answers (correct and wrong) and then attempt the second half. This is because the problems in the second half of the 100EC are a very good test of what you learned from your mistakes in the first half. A few of the probability questions in the second half were almost pre-phrases of the problems in the first half, so its nice to be able to apply what you just learned.
Expert Post
SVP
SVP

Re: GMAT Club Tests vs. Jeff Sackmann's Extreme Sets [#permalink] New post 23 May 2011, 13:29
Expert's post
Kudos for the advice in the last paragraph!

But a 72 percent is pretty good (my performance was about the same). Another problem with the combinatorics and probability questions is that you probably didn't have that much exposure to them.

But a 690 is already a solid score, so by now you should be in good enough shape for the GMATClub tests. I remind you to not underestimate those, so don't put them off too much longer.

Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Club Tests vs. Jeff Sackmann's Extreme Sets [#permalink] New post 24 May 2011, 10:53
bmillan01 wrote:
Kudos for the advice in the last paragraph!

But a 72 percent is pretty good (my performance was about the same). Another problem with the combinatorics and probability questions is that you probably didn't have that much exposure to them.

But a 690 is already a solid score, so by now you should be in good enough shape for the GMATClub tests. I remind you to not underestimate those, so don't put them off too much longer.

Thanks a lot.

Yes, I will get started with the GMATClub Tests right away. In fact, I have pushed my official test date by 4 weeks just to have enough time to finish and review all the GMATClub tests. I have put a hold on my MGMAT CATs (where I was struggling with timing on the difficult quant problems) and hope to resume them once I am 25-30% through with my GMATClub tests. I am doing this in the hope to see an improvement on the MGMAT CATs.

Unfortunately, 690 wasn't a solid score (especially with low quant) for the schools that have wait listed me this year :(
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UNC Duke Kellogg
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 26 [1] , given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Club Tests vs. Jeff Sackmann's Extreme Sets [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2011, 16:22
This post received
KUDOS
These extreme challenge sets seem very interesting. I looked them up online and they are a tad expensive. Also, they are paper tests -- but it seems like they have a lot of good reviews on these forums. Unfortunately there are no reviews on Amazon though -- the extreme challenge is available as a book.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: LBS, Oxford
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Club Tests vs. Jeff Sackmann's Extreme Sets [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2011, 19:28
DevilDoggNC wrote:
the extreme challenge is available as a book.

please share the link.
Expert Post
SVP
SVP

Re: GMAT Club Tests vs. Jeff Sackmann's Extreme Sets [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2011, 20:12
Expert's post
The Extreme Challenge set is actually available as a PDF document.

Alchemist1320, the link is here.

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UNC Duke Kellogg
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 26 [1] , given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Club Tests vs. Jeff Sackmann's Extreme Sets [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2011, 04:46
This post received
KUDOS
Alchemist1320 wrote:
DevilDoggNC wrote:
the extreme challenge is available as a book.

please share the link.

http://www.amazon.com/GMAT-Math-Challen ... 501&sr=8-2

hth
Re: GMAT Club Tests vs. Jeff Sackmann's Extreme Sets   [#permalink] 30 Jun 2011, 04:46