Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Sep 2014, 20:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Conquered 680 -> 730; 44Q -> 49Q

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Conquered 680 -> 730; 44Q -> 49Q [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2013, 15:22
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi - I thought it would be helpful to post my GMAT experience, especially since I found many of the stories on this board very helpful getting through a very stressful time experience with the GMAT. I started out studying for the GMAT nearly a year ago with the plan of taking the test in December 12. Unfortunately I started a new job and didn't anticipate how much time it would take away from properly studying. I took my first MGMAT practice test in December and scored a 600 (43Q / 31V) and was shocked how poorly I performed given the time time I had put in studying. I spent the next three months really hunkering down and spent most of my free time studying. I slowly noticed my MGMAT practice scores creep up into the mid to high 650-690 range but still couldn't crack the 700 mark. I took a GMAT Prep test the weekend before my test and scored a 720 which certainly boosted my confidence. Unfortunately things didn't turn out as well on test day and I scored a respectible 680 (44Q / 39V) but well below my goal of breaking 700.

I realized that I wasn't studying smart, meaning I was doing tons of problems and going over the same materials all the while I was burning myself out and more importantly I wasn't challenging myself to recognize difficult problems or stems. I picked up the MGMAT Advanced Quant book and the Foundations of Verbal book from MGMAT which I highly recommend to everyone. I found that the advance quant book really helped me recognize patters and more importantly be a smarter test taker in saving time. While the book has several "advanced questions", the real benefit is picking up on pattern recognition and looking for the "back door on problems". I developed a strategy that if I didn't know how to do the problem or couldn't pick up on the trick (which almost all problems have or at least allow you to narrow down 700+ q's) within 30 seconds, I would guess and move on. This time saving strategy for problems allowed me to spend time on problems I knew how to do but were time intensive which really makes a huge difference to crack the 80%. Its also important while studying to do a few problems at a time and not get caught up on banging out 25-50 questions at a time. Learning to be dynamic in my thought process was the key to bringing up my quant score was the foundation skills were established.

I found the FOV book to be very helpful as well because it was just a simple study guide that reinforced the principles of all of the other books into one guide.

Most importantly, I can't stress enoughhow important it is to be relaxed and get a good nights sleep if possible ahead of your test. The first exam I was too nervous and definitely psyched myself out during the exam. This included spending too much time on problems I didn't know or was indecisive on which later hurt my ability to answer / reach tough questions. I ended up having 5+ minutes on each section remaining when I completed the test.

I want to thank all of the members on this site whose questions and posts allowed me to work on areas of weakness (those RTD/RTW problems!) and beat the GMAT!

Best of luck to you all
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 87

CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Conquered 680 -> 730; 44Q -> 49Q [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2013, 21:02
Congratulations on your score!

Could you let us know your practice scores?
Re: GMAT Conquered 680 -> 730; 44Q -> 49Q   [#permalink] 16 Sep 2013, 21:02