Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 06:49

Starting Soon:

Live Q&A Session with Cambridge Admissions Team   ||    Join Chat Room to Attend the Session

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT date in 3 weeks and need some strategy advise

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

GMAT date in 3 weeks and need some strategy advise [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2010, 04:41
This post was
BOOKMARKED
To BB and the rest of the gang,

This is the first time I am posting something, so I hope you guys encourage me by giving me some advise.

My GMAT is in 3 weeks, Friday August 13th!!!!!

Notes Used :-
MGMAT ( All the Books )
OG 12
CR Bible
Kaplan Premier 2010 Book ( not the online content )
A lot of info from gmatclub :)

Have taken leave from work since July 1st. Was putting in around 6-8 hrs of serious studies.

Have taken first 3 Manhattan CATS

Scored the following
Manhattan CAT 1 :- 650 ( Q 44 V 35 )
Manhattan CAT 2 :- 650 ( Q 45 V 34 )
Manhattan CAT 3 :- 620 ( was down with viral fever, didn't give it the best shot ) ( Q 41 V 34 )

Nevertheless, the 3rd CAT has crushed me , and I have sort of gotten a bit lax.

With regards to evaluation,
1. CR does not seem to be the problem, pretty consistent there. I am terrible in Sentence Correction and RC , averaging about half right in both. RC Main Point Questions are terrible for me.
I am a native english speaker.

2. Math, i am finding probability too much to handle.
I need some strategy advise as to how many more CATS to give , and how exactly to study for these 3 weeks. After putting in so much effort, getting lazy now is sort of depressing.

When should I take the GMATPrep Tests ? Should I first finish the remaining 3 Manhattan CATS?

Help me out guys, I really depend on you.

Thanks
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
2 KUDOS received
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Followers: 334

Kudos [?]: 1361 [2] , given: 194

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT date in 3 weeks and need some strategy advise [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2010, 05:19
This post received
KUDOS
I think the scores are pretty consistent actually, but the take a GMAT Prep right away to figure out where your weak areas are. Consider keeping an error log. If you have the MGMAT SC that's a really good book to start off with. Try attacking the questions methodically and try to use the process of elimination too. More often than not, it boils down to two or three choices.

As for RC, I think maybe you can try to read through the passage and figure out what the key intention of the passage is, what the structure is (i.e, what the first para is saying etc) and why it is significant.

For more information on RC, check out this thread: Comprehensive RC Strategy Thread

This was something I suggested to another user, but see if it helps you out: can-any-one-please-help-me-96232.html#p741069

The RC master thread would be the best way to start. And practice is the only thing that'll make you better.

Good luck!!!
Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT date in 3 weeks and need some strategy advise [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2010, 05:25
Thanks,

Would 700 seem too ambitious?

And should I go back to the basics at such a late stage? Or should I take more practice tests?
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Followers: 334

Kudos [?]: 1361 [0], given: 194

Re: GMAT date in 3 weeks and need some strategy advise [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2010, 06:34
You have to understand that a 650 to a 700 jump is large. I was under the impression that you had some trouble with RC/SC and hence the suggestion. Maybe you can look at the GMAT Preparation 650 to 750 thread on the GMAT forum? gmat-study-plan-go-from-650-to-80235.html
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT date in 3 weeks and need some strategy advise [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2010, 21:12
MGMAT is much more tough that the actual GMAT. It is also a known fact that all MGMAT CAT's pushes your actual score down by as much as 30 points. Therefore it is safe to assume that you will be scoring in the higher 600's in the actual GMAT, and a 20-50 point push from there will not be an impossible task, provided you practise more on the weak areas and also considering the fact that you still have 3 weeks before the exam.
GMATPrep gives you a better idea on where you stand, so it will be good to take one now to avoid all the assumptions.

All the best for your exam !
Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT date in 3 weeks and need some strategy advise [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2010, 21:19
Thanks AjayRK,

I hope and pray you are right.

Right now I have started off by
1. Redoing harder chapters from MGMAT SC Such as Modifiers
2. Downloaded Idiom List from gmatclub, so whenever I get bored, try to read thoroughly 25-30 of the at a time
3. Solving the 50 Sentence Correction Problems from Kaplan Gmat Premier 2010 edition.

I will take the first GMATPrep Tomorrow.
Will surely let you know how it goes :)

Thanks again guys.
Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT date in 3 weeks and need some strategy advise [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2010, 23:13
Hey @Whiplash2411, @AjayRK and @BB

This morning finally i took GMATPrep Practice test 1. Scored a 710 ( Q 47, V 40 ) . Some questions of Verbal were repeats from OG 12.
What do you make of the score?
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Followers: 56

Kudos [?]: 472 [1] , given: 157

Re: GMAT date in 3 weeks and need some strategy advise [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2010, 01:34
This post received
KUDOS
If there were not many repeats or familiar questions then the score is true representative of your ability. I think you must not forget that there are numerous stories where persons getting 700+ in gmat prep face a debacle in actual test. Be focused as verbal is the key. Only thing which will guide you to 700 will be verbal, so spend much time on verbal in last 15 days. Best of luck.

Posted from my mobile device Image

[ From 470 to 680-My Story ] [ My Last Month Before Test ]
[ GMAT Prep Analysis Tool ] [ US. Business School Dashboard ] [ Int. Business School Dashboard ]

I Can, I Will

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT date in 3 weeks and need some strategy advise [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2010, 02:34
True that....

I have procured Kaplan Advanced ( Kaplan 800 ) Kaplan Math workbook. I think it should be enough for verbal
Intern
Intern
WE 1: Private Equity
WE 2: Management Consulting
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 9

Re: GMAT date in 3 weeks and need some strategy advise [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2010, 12:43
Good luck on the real test.

I'm also sitting the test on the 13th of August (a re-take actually).

My prep story is similar to yours, was scoring in the high 600s on Kaplan's tests and then scored a 710 on GMATprep1. Was really disappointed to only get a 660 on the real thing, verbal killed me (35). I have now added MGMAT's sentence correction, critical reasoning and number properties to my arsenal. I really cannot stress how much MGMAT SC is vital, I'm now scoring between 720-750 in the MGMAT tests and verbal is suddenly my stronger side (non-native speaker).

Best of luck to you again.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT date in 3 weeks and need some strategy advise [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2010, 17:59
abhaybhatia wrote:
Thanks,

Would 700 seem too ambitious?

And should I go back to the basics at such a late stage? Or should I take more practice tests?

depends on your goals and where you want to go to school etc..
Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT date in 3 weeks and need some strategy advise [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2010, 22:20
Dear All,

It seems after my last post, there has been some change in scoring.

As I told you I scored 710 in GMATPrep - 1
This was after 650 in MGMAT1
650 in MGMAT 2
620 in MGMAT 3

Over the last week I took 2 more Manhattan CAT's

MCAT 4 :- 680 ( 47 Q 35 V )
MCAT 5 :- 700 ( 48 Q 37 V )

Although I am relieved, I am beginning to worry about the proximity of Manhattan Cat's to the actual GMAT.
Can my intelligent members throw some light on this.

And of course, If any advise for studying 11 days before the exam?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 2

Re: GMAT date in 3 weeks and need some strategy advise [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2010, 23:35
abhaybhatia wrote:
Dear All,

650 in MGMAT 2
620 in MGMAT 3

Although I am relieved, I am beginning to worry about the proximity of Manhattan Cat's to the actual GMAT.

thats a good score. take +/- 50, so 750 this is what you can score (be optimistic)

My exam is in 1 week time and i scored only 660 on MGMAT :( . My goal is 730+
Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT date in 3 weeks and need some strategy advise [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2010, 23:38
whats ur split like ? Q ? V ?
Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT date in 3 weeks and need some strategy advise [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2010, 22:34
hey guys,
further to my road to August 13th, I took Kaplan 3rd CAT ( Since Manhattan Servers are down for maintenance ). I scored a 690 ( Q 52, V 32 ). I must admit, I finished verbal 25 minutes before time, was quite restless. I kind of knew Quant was going fantastic. Is it true that kaplan Quant is way easier compared with Manhattan? Need your views guys
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT date in 3 weeks and need some strategy advise [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2010, 22:59
hey guys !
I m new here...on gmat club wann kw abt verbal strategies...n solutions to the questions...cn u pz guide me...big confusion...have less time
Manager
Manager
Schools: Ross
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 32

Re: GMAT date in 3 weeks and need some strategy advise [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2010, 01:44
abhaybhatia wrote:
Dear All,

650 in MGMAT 2
620 in MGMAT 3

If SC is still your weakness , review your error log , identify the topic where you are making mistakes and focus on that chapter in MGMAT SC.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT date in 3 weeks and need some strategy advise [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2010, 09:10
I took Kaplan and MGMAT stuff during my prep, so here's my opinion. As always, take it for what it's worth...

I found the MGMAT quant problems to be significantly more difficult than Kaplan's. Slogging through them was tough... particularly with timing. Kaplan's problems were a lot easier, but their scoring puts a stiff penalty on getting any wrong. If you are at all inclined towards stupid mistakes, Kaplan's quant will eat your lunch.

Basically, if you do well on Kaplan's quant, then you have your basics down and don't make a lot of silly mistakes (this is a really good thing!). If you do well on MGMAT's quant, then you know that you can do the hard problems on the GMAT.

The danger with both of these for me was timing. I flew through Kaplan's quant section (finished with 20+ minutes to spare on most tests), but struggled to keep pace with MGMAT's quant. Your best bet is to take the official practice GMAT a couple of times to get used to the pace that you have to work at(although I confess that I did not use my timing so well on the GMAT... I finished with 10 minutes left in math and 15 in verbal).

sanlitun is right on the sentence correction. Review your error log! There are 5-6 common mistakes for SC and if you're struggling, the chances are high that you're making one or two mistakes over and over.

August 13 is right around the corner, but I think if you study smart (and like a maniac) then you have what it takes for a beast score.
Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT date in 3 weeks and need some strategy advise [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2010, 02:42
You are absolutely right....
But I have some news ...
And I don't believe it myself

I scored 770 in Kaplan's 6th CAT ( Q 53 V 50 ) !!!!!
Quant is too easy. Kaplan quant is rubbish.
I am surprised at me getting a 50 in verbal, considering I had 10 questions wrong.
Quant i got 4 questions wrong.
The level of difficulty in Kaplan is too easy to be true.
This is my view.
I need to know what you guys think.
Specially my more experienced members.
Re: GMAT date in 3 weeks and need some strategy advise   [#permalink] 05 Aug 2010, 02:42