Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 00:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Debrief - 730 (Q49,V41/AWA 3.5/IR 8)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
Schools: ISB '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

GMAT Debrief - 730 (Q49,V41/AWA 3.5/IR 8) [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2012, 04:57
Hi All,

I appeared my GMAT on 14th of August and was waiting for the Official score before writing my debrief.I have listed down the things I have learnt on this "journey".

First some background info.I am 25 years old and from India. I am working for a MNC IT company as a technical lead for the last 3.8 years. I started my GMAT preparations 6 weeks before my exam.
The materials I used were :

Manhattan set of 8 books (Manhattan SC is a must)
Official Guide 13
4GMAT books for Quants ( the best for quants)

Test series that I used :
Manhattan
Kaplan and GMAT Prep.

I studied for 5-6 hours everyday after office and on weekends I clocked around 10 hours. Being a non-native english speaker my biggest weakness was sentence correction. I used both the SC Grail and the Manhattan SC guide.

I started taking the tests 2 weeks before the exams. I would take 1-2 tests in a day. To make things harder I used to play music at a loud volume :)
My tests score were in the 740-750 range in the Manhattan tests,680-720 in Kaplan and 720-750 in GMATPrep.

Test Day:
I had my exam at Pearson Vue center in Hyderabad at 9:00 am. The test center is around 30 kms from my home and it took me about an hour to reach there.
I arrived 45 minutes early and played angry birds to kill time :-D and control my nervousness. Completed my AWA on time. IR was easy and I was sure I had done well. Same for Quants. I finished with 5 minutes to spare and was confident of scoring above 48.
While facing the verbal section I started feeling tired and drowsy. I hadn't slept the night before (was too nervous) and it started messing up my game. I had to reread some of the questions and RC took ages. Still finished with 3 minutes to spare. And then the score popped up.

I had mixed feelings on seeing the score.It wasn't too great but neither was it too bad. I was expecting a score of 750+.

Takeaways and tips for others :

Get sufficient amount of sleep the day before the test.It can have a huge impact on your score.
Create a study plan and stick to it. If you miss a target make sure you complete it as soon as possible.
Spend sufficient time on analyzing the test results. It can help you improve quickly.
If possible visit the test center a few days before the test. This will help you familiarize with the route you have to take on test day. Getting stuck in traffic can make you lose your mind :evil: .
And finally don't take the scores too seriously.A bad score is not the end of the world. Winning the war is more important than winning a battle. You always have the option to retake the test.

Best of luck to all future test takers.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 620 Q39 V35
GMAT 2: 620 Q43 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V40
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 3

Re: GMAT Debrief - 730 (Q49,V41/AWA 3.5/IR 8) [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2012, 09:37
Congrats ! that is a great score !

My GMAT Debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/third-time-s-a-charm-142800.html#p1145912
Quant Concept Videos : http://gmatlife.blogspot.com/2012/07/gm ... ideos.html
My GMAT Blog : http://gmatlife.blogspot.com/

Re: GMAT Debrief - 730 (Q49,V41/AWA 3.5/IR 8)   [#permalink] 31 Aug 2012, 09:37