Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 02:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Decisions & Timing

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.95
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Decisions & Timing [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2011, 09:44
Hello everyone, I'm about to graduate with my undergrad degree (BBA - Finance & Biz. Economics) next week, and I'm debating whether I should begin prepping for the GMAT or not.

A little background: I'm going to graduate Summa Cum Laude (knock on wood) this December from a middle of the road public, midwestern university. I have a job lined up to start in 2012 as a consultant for a Big Four firm in my hometown. I'm excited to work and I have no desire to go back for my MBA for at least 3-5 years. The snag is that I will not be starting work until mid-August, 2012, giving me 7 months off.

This would give me more than enough time to really dedicate to studying up, perhaps taking a class and working my butt off to get a good score on the GMAT. I did excellently in college and had a 2190/1450 on my SATs, so I'm confident that - with effort - I could score 700+. I'm also planning on waiting until after June 5th, so I take the most up-to-date test.

So this is my dilemma - is it worth worrying about trying to take the GMAT now, when I have plenty of time to do it really well, if I know I would have to use those scores by the age of 27/28 (I'll turn 23 in April)? Or would it be more beneficial to me to hold off a bit and take the test closer to when I would theoretically want to attend graduate school?

Thank you so much for your insight!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2325

Kudos [?]: 9442 [0], given: 3701

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Decisions & Timing [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2011, 11:24
Expert's post
The schools know that you are better off taking the GMAT while you are in undergrad (quite a few folks are doing it) and will ultimately discount the score somewhat if you apply 2-4 years from now. They will discount it for staleness and also for getting taken in undergrad (while you have plenty of time and a fresh mind - as compared to a 30 year old busy professional with family responsibilities)

So, I would say save the money and effort for now and perhaps take it later (unless you are heading for an MBA in the next 2 years)

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: Q V
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 3

Re: GMAT Decisions & Timing [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2012, 10:53
I would personally wait a few years to take the test. You would have to rush it if you want to take the test before the added section, plus your scores would look stale if you took it now and are applying in 3-5 years.
Re: GMAT Decisions & Timing   [#permalink] 07 Jan 2012, 10:53