Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 10:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Delight - 750 (99th percentile, Q48 V45)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Delight - 750 (99th percentile, Q48 V45) [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2005, 14:04
Wow, I cant believe it myself. Just came back from London having done the GMAT after a weekend of hardcore partying and drinking. Although I am not too confident about the AWA section, I managed to pull through in the other ones (although I only got 87th percentile in quant).

Questions were so overly easy it wasnt even funny, save for 2 early combinations questions in the quant section (which I got wrong, hence the low quant score).

I pretty much studied very diligently around the month of July, but started slacking towards August/September. The past 2 months I have hardly managed to get any studying done save a few visits to the forum. Pretty confident I could break 780 if I brushed up my combination skills.

Now I just have to decide on where to apply, since I only have limited work experience (3 internships, 2 years running own company) and am pretty young I guess MBA's are out of the question. Oh well.... we shall see.

Thank you everyone for your help.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2005, 14:39
CONGRATULATIONS xennie.

750 after a weekend of hardcore partying and drinking..wow..send me secret partying recipe :P

if you get time, please share your test experience with us.

all the best for your apps.

Whether you think you can or think you can't. You're right! - Henry Ford (1863 - 1947)

Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2005, 14:44
Hehe yeah, it was my birthday on Saturday so we were out at the Met bar and some other clubs. Ill try to post a more detailed report tomorrow regarding the experience as a whole as well as my prep techniques.
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2005, 16:05
Congratulations!

750 is really awesome!

:musband

Auge um Auge, Zahn um Zahn :twisted: !

Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2005, 11:06
I just wanted to quickly summarise my prep. technique in case any of you were wondering what it consisted of.

I decided to do the gmat this july, and promptly ordered;
OG 10th
Kaplan GMAT 2006
Princeton crack the gmat 2005
kaplan math & verbal guide
kaplan 800.

I went through the Kaplan GMAT book and the kaplan math workbook in about a month. In August I got so bored of studying I did not open another book until late September, when I went through the harder math and verbal problems (bin 4) in the princeton review book and also through kaplan 800 (Best one by far next to the kaplan GMAT book)

I took a brief peek inside of the OG and the kaplan verbal guide but did not do more than one fifth of the problems in each. (I am not sure if the OG lists questions in order from easiest to hardest, but I did the last 50-60 in each section.)

I took the kaplan diagnostic test (640), PP 1 (710) GMATprep 1 (710). If I have to be perfectly honest, I had actually intended to go through the whole OG and do every CAT available to me, but never managed getting around to it. In retrospect, I truly wish I had done at least one or two AWA sections (I always skipped them and always thought I would get the chance to brush up my skills a week or two before the exam) as I got a very hard question on the exam and only managed writing three paragraphs. Both of my essays were slightly shorter than this forum post up until this point. Nevertheless, Im keeping my fingers crossed in hopes that I get at least a 4 overall - I would not want to have to do the GMAT again just because of that useless section.

I know many people recommend that you should study hard and so forth, but I actually think that as long as you visit this forum a few times a week and do some of the verbal and quant. questions (as well as read others explanations), you should do decently well. I would only recommend the OG, and the Kaplan 800/GMAT books.

As for the day of the test, I hadnt done any revision for 2 weeks save 20-30 questions from the OG, so I was dead sure I would do badly and was actually planning on booking another test date as soon as possible. I woke up feeling extremely tired and grumpy(I didnt manage getting more than five hours sleep the night before - its always like that when I have a big day coming up), and made my way to the test centre.

The quant section began terribly - The third question involved combinations, an area I touched upon only briefly in my revision and hence was forced to guess . I chose the wrong answer and assume that this resulted in my relatively low quant score of 48 (87th percentile :( ). I spent way too much time on the first 20 questions, and actually had about a minute to spend on each of the last 10 questions. By this point I was extremely upset as the questions were terribly easy, and I was sure I had done very badly.

The verbal section was a different story - although some of the RC and the SC questions stomped me for a good 3-5 minutes, most of the questions were extremely easy. I got _5_ RC passages, two on females in the work force (ETS just seems to love them) and three on science related topics such as lava canals on venus. I had about 5-6 minutes to spare with 2 questions to go, which I rushed through as I wanted to get my scores and get out of there as soon as possible - remember I was almost positive that I had messed up badly due to the verbal and latter quant questions being so easy. Imagine my surprise when 750 popped up, I couldnt believe my eyes and was positive that the computer would crash or something similar causing it to get erased.

Now I am just keeping my fingers crossed regarding the AWA. It would be a pity if a poor score in this section keeps me from getting into the top schools out there.

Ill be happy to answer any further questions should anyone have anything to ask.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2005, 15:39
Questions that have been messaged;

Verbal
- what were first few questions? SC, RC ?
- when did you see your first RC?

--

The first two questions were SC and then I was hit with a RC section that consisted of 4 questions. It was a really easy topic that was 40 lines long about females in the work force. I think I (unfortunately) got only around 9 CR questions in total. They are by far my favourite and I would have gladly swapped all the SC questions I got with them.

I think I had about 18 RC questions in total, 14 SC, and around 9 CR questions.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 105 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2005, 16:42
long time no see you in maths forum :wink: ...I really admire your verbal score!!! Congratulations, friend~!!! :)
SVP
SVP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2005, 07:43
Holy Shakespeare V45. Congrats.
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2005, 20:07
Very good score, your verbal score is :shock:

Congratulations & good luck with apps :)
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2005, 07:27
Congratulations! Such loveable scores!!! Good luck with your AWA scores!
  [#permalink] 15 Dec 2005, 07:27