Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Sep 2014, 06:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Diagnostic Test Question 13

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Math Forum Moderator
Followers: 128

Kudos [?]: 928 [0], given: 376

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Diagnostic Test Question 12 [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2011, 07:03
sl750 wrote:
Can someone explain this step
(1) Suppose if 1/x > 1/y:
(1/x $ 1/y) = 1/x + 1/y = (x+y)/(xy).
(1/y $ 1/x) = 1/x - 1/y = (y-x)/(xy). . Why does the sign change here? We are given that, for A>B A$B = A+B. So how does the sign change when we flip the quantities around the operator $

Thanks

Signs change because the stem presents a scenario for LHS<RHS as well. See the enlarged text below from the question stem.

If A>B, A$B = A+B and if A<B, A$B = B-A, then which of the followings is the highest for (\frac{1}{x}$\frac{1}{y})$(\frac{1}{y}$\frac{1}{x})

BTW, We get the maximum value for the expression when,
\frac{1}{x}>\frac{1}{y};-------Condition 1
For all the options in which Condition 1 hold true, we need to find the highest value for \frac{1}{x}.

D satisfies both of those conditions.

~fluke

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.28
WE: Project Management (Manufacturing)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 14

Re: GMAT Diagnostic Test Question 12 [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2011, 10:18
A) (2$3)$(3$2) = 1$5 = 4
B) (3$4)$(4$3) = 1$7 = 6
c) (4$5)$(5$4) = 1$9 = 8
D) (5$4)$(4$5) = 9$1 = 10
E) (4$2)$(2$4) = 6$2 = 8

hence D

[caption=]Remember: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.[/caption]

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT Diagnostic Test Question 12 [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2012, 06:52
LUGO wrote:
gmatoverduegirl wrote:
LUGO wrote:

Actually something that you could do for sure under two minutes is the following:

Possible combinations are:
+ + - = 2B
- + + = 2B
+ - - = 2A
- - + = - 2A

Clearly you can not have a negative answer for greatest? nor two choices with the same answer 2B? Hence the right answer has to be of the type 2A meaning => [(A>B) = A+ B] - [(A<B) = B - A] = [5 + 4] - [4 - 5] = 9 + 1 = 10.

It took me 18 seconds

Lugo can you please tell me how you came with the answers 2B, 2B, 2A and -2A? sorry but i still don't get it :(

All answers are positive real numbers, right? So there is no need to worry about adding/subtracting negative numbers. Also all answers can be converted to integer numbers since the formula to solve is made of inverse number of reals which are actually integer numbers i.e. 1 / (1/4) is 4 and 1 / (1/5) is 5 right?

Next, the formula to solve is (bracket_1) +/- (bracket_2) where either bracket is a combination of adding/subtracting 2 integer numbers and given to you in answers A,B,C,D and E. Think about all possible combinations of bracket_1 and bracket_2 in terms of sign. Given that you have two brackets and two possible signs (2^2) = 4 X 2 cases = 8 cases. However eliminate the ones where both bracket_1 and bracket_2 are equal, i.e. A>B and A>B or A<B and A<B since, from the answers provided and formula written in the question, no two real numbers can be the same, right?

This means that you are left with only 4 possible cases:

Bracket_1 +/- Bracket_2
+ + - = (A>B) + (A<B) = A+B+B-A = 2B
- + + = (A<B) + (A>B) = B-A+A+B = 2B
+ - - = (A>B) - (A<B) = A+B-B+A = 2A
- - + = (A<B) - (A>B) = B-A-A-B = -2A

Next the question ask you for greatest. Notice than from the cases above 2A and 2B can be greater than any other combination, correct? However 2B is duplicated twice so which one do you choose? It has to be 2A since each question can only have one possible answer. Besides try few cases from the answers provided and see what happens.

I hope it helps....

LUGO

Lugo, not sure everything is right here.
Some cases can never happen and you have to switch the order of the brackets when the second is negative.

Thus we are only left with (only possible cases as "ra011y" explained it the same way in page 1) :

A>B (i.e. B<A) :
==> Bracket_1 (A+B) > Bracket_2 (A-B) ==> Bracket_1 + Bracket_2
==> (+) + (-) = (A>B) $ (B<A) = (A>B) + (B<A) = (A+B) + (A-B) = A+B+A-B = 2A

A<B (i.e. B>A) :
==> Bracket_1 (B-A) < Bracket_2 (A+B) ==> Bracket_1 - Bracket_2
==> (-) - (+) = (A<B) $ (B>A) = (B>A) - (A<B) = (B+A) - (B-A) = B+A-B+A = 2A

Hope it's clear.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Weight: 170lbs
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
WE: Analyst (Other)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 37

Re: GMAT Diagnostic Test Question 12 [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2013, 13:12
Is there an "intuitive" way to solve this problem quickly? Seems like a perfect candidate for that school of GMAT problem solving. While this problem isn't very difficult, I didn't really solve it intuitively and did it right at the two minute mark. Ended up utilizing the pattern with A, B, and C, which reverses with D and E.
Re: GMAT Diagnostic Test Question 12   [#permalink] 14 Aug 2013, 13:12